Gonna Upgrade a PC

Dhrshanv2
Go to solution Solved by arsradu,
23 minutes ago, Dhrshanv2 said:

well i game at 1080p and the cooler is like $50. But will the R9 270 run games at Medium to high at 60 fps?

Watch some reviews on that and see if it's at an acceptable level or not. It's all up to which games you're playing and if you think the difference in price can justify the performance boost of a GTX 960 for 1080p.

It is a better performer, I'm not saying that it isn't. Is it worth it? That only you can answer.

Here is a video with some benchmarks in games. See if any of the games you usually play are at an acceptable level with the R9 270x. You can always upgrade in the future, especially if the price of the GTX 960 will drop.

So, what I would do is get a calculator and see which combination will suit my needs? And how much money will that cost.

The PC comes with:

Processor is a I5-4460

8GB Ram

120 GB SSD

1 TB Hard drive

NZXT PHANTOM 240 WHITE Case

500 Watt PSU

R9-270x

Gonna Upgrade  to:

RM 650 PSU

Enermax Liqmax 120S Universal Liquid Cooler

Asus GTX 960 4GB 128 bit

Single stick of Pacific Sun 8GB ram

Please tell your opinion and also the website I use is Frys.com (Im not using Newegg,Amazon, or Ebay Thnx)

The pc name on the website is : iBuypower FR750 Gaming Desktop PC with Intel Core i5-4460 Processor,8GB PC3-12800 Memory,1TB Hard Drive + 120GB SSD,Radeon R9-270x 2gb

and my budget including the PC is USD $500

I would get a R9 380 4 gig over the 960. Its cheaper, and nets better gains. No reason to water cool your computer, but what ever you fancy. Its better to run 4 +4 gigs of ram in duel channel, rather then a single stick of 8 gig, unless you plan in upgrading to 16 gigs in the future. I would just stick with whatever ram you have or upgrade to 16 gigs. It probably is a good idea to upgrade your PSU, but you may get better price to watt if you got for something that's 750 watts.  

Headphones:

Spoiler

Sony MDR V6 (DT 250 pads), restored 1987 AKG K240M 600ohm (Cosmos pads with dt250 filters), AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, Bose Ae2 & Sony MDR v150. All off of a Bravo V2 shuguang tube, Little Dot mkII with GE JAN 5654 tubes, a CEntrance Dacport slim and a UCA222.

PC:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z170s
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix (white)
  • GPU
    Asus 1070 Strix OC
  • Case
    Phanteks P400
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 pro, Seagate barracuda 1tb
  • PSU
    Evga G1 650W (regret)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1920x1080 60hz 5ms & ASUS PB277Q 27" 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 240EX white
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (switching to linux soon)

1 hour ago, Pauleh said:

I would get a R9 380 4 gig over the 960. Its cheaper, and nets better gains. No reason to water cool your computer, but what ever you fancy. Its better to run 4 +4 gigs of ram in duel channel, rather then a single stick of 8 gig, unless you plan in upgrading to 16 gigs in the future. I would just stick with whatever ram you have or upgrade to 16 gigs. It probably is a good idea to upgrade your PSU, but you may get better price to watt if you got for something that's 750 watts.  

I agree but the MB only has 2 Dimm slots and max Ramm is 16 GB also I prefer Nvidia Shadow Play

Edited by Dhrshanv2
Additional Info

1 hour ago, Dhrshanv2 said:

I agree but the MB only has 2 Dimm slots and max Ramm is 16 GB also I prefer Nvidia Shadow Play

It all depends on your needs. What will be the purpose of this rig? CPU intensive tasks? GPU intensive tasks? Browsing the web and watching movies?

Before buying anything, you need to ask yourself what will you use that computer for. Otherwise, you will either spend a lot of money and not use nearly as much as that computer could do, or, you could spend too little and not get enough.

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

It all depends on your needs. What will be the purpose of this rig? CPU intensive tasks? GPU intensive tasks?

Before buying anything, you need to ask yourself what will you use that computer for. Otherwise, you will either spend a lot of money and not use nearly as much as that computer could do, or, you could spend too little and not get enough.

I will mostly use it for Gaming and school

1 hour ago, Dhrshanv2 said:

also it already comes with 1 stick of 8GB ram

7 minutes ago, Dhrshanv2 said:

also it already comes with 1 stick of 8GB ram

That was my next question. Why will you buy another one?

The R9-270x is still not a bad GPU for gaming (depends on your monitor, as well).

I would rather invest in a better CPU by cutting down the water cooler (you really don't need it for that CPU), the RAM (you already have enough RAM) and the graphics card.

The bigger PSU is not a bad thing to get, especially if you want to upgrade in the future.

Also, buying a liquid cooler for a non-overclockable CPU seems like a waste of money to me.

4 minutes ago, arsradu said:

That was my next question. Why will you buy another one?

The R9-270x is still not a bad GPU for gaming (depends on your monitor, as well).

I would rather invest in a better CPU.

Also, buying a liquid cooler for a non-overclockable CPU seems like a waste of money to me.

well i game at 1080p and the cooler is like $50. But will the R9 270 run games at Medium to high at 60 fps? and im buying the other ram stick to make it 16 GB

23 minutes ago, Dhrshanv2 said:

well i game at 1080p and the cooler is like $50. But will the R9 270 run games at Medium to high at 60 fps?

Watch some reviews on that and see if it's at an acceptable level or not. It's all up to which games you're playing and if you think the difference in price can justify the performance boost of a GTX 960 for 1080p.

It is a better performer, I'm not saying that it isn't. Is it worth it? That only you can answer.

Here is a video with some benchmarks in games. See if any of the games you usually play are at an acceptable level with the R9 270x. You can always upgrade in the future, especially if the price of the GTX 960 will drop.

So, what I would do is get a calculator and see which combination will suit my needs? And how much money will that cost.

5 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Thank you so much ur advice has really helped me

2 minutes ago, Dhrshanv2 said:

Thank you so much ur advice has really helped me

Glad I could help. :)