250 W FSP PSU vs 500 W Powerlogic PSU

djdelarosa25

I found both of these old PSUs lying around.

One's an FSP ATX-250PA that was salvaged from an Acer Aspire rig. Looks pretty neat with 4 SATA power connectors, one molex connector, one 4-pin connector, one fan connector, and the mobo connector,

Other one's a generic Powerlogic 500 W with 2 SATA power connectors, 2 molex connectors, one fan connector and the mobo connector.

Which should I choose?

Specs:

Q9550

HD 5450

(yeah, crappy PC I know. Don't suggest upgrading)

fsp is more well-known brand go with them. it'll be a bit of a stretch for it being 250w and all. but if you can squeeze in a bit more money i think you can find some 300/350/400w units that could even give you some breathing room for upgrades

UPDATE: so i saw the psu you were talking about(the fsp) it costs 30usd. for 10 dollars more you can get this 

Cooler Master Elite Power - 400W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171070

i would honestly try searching a bit more. just find some local pc shop near you and state your max budget. if they're decent folk they'll tell you the best for your money. good luck!

8 minutes ago, slitherin96 said:

fsp is more well-known brand go with them. it'll be a bit of a stretch for it being 250w and all. but if you can squeeze in a bit more money i think you can find some 300/350/400w units that could even give you some breathing room for upgrades

I can't buy anything. Just between the two, who would be better?

well then i'd say the fsp again. simply because it seams more trustworthy. after all- no one wants a burnt house.

If you were a bit more specific about the Powerlogic unit, I might help a bit further, but off the top of my head, you're going to have to roll with it.

I found these specs for the FSP unit. The second picture has the table of maximum loads. You can see that the +12V1 rail can only handle 6 Ampers. That's what feeds the CPU. Now, your CPU has a TDP of 95W. The math is pretty clear: 

6 Ampers * 12 Volts = 72 Watts. Your FSP PSU falls 23Watts short for the CPU alone.

Note that it's not written in stone that it will consume 95W, it's only aimed to do so. The ecaxt amount depends on the individual, and the use-scenario. But that 23W on paper is such a significant shortcoming, that it might actually not even boot up. Definitely it would burn under load.

If you could give the model number of the other PSU too, I could look into it. BUt don't use that FSP with that CPU, please.

Tried the FSP, yup. Didn't even boot up. LEDs went on for a few seconds, then they were gone.