Watercooling question

I was planning on upgrading my cooling to a custom loop seems how a big air cooler like the nh-d15s isnt an option. I use a 5820k and plan to use a 980ti and was wondering if i can cool both with a single 240 rad thats all i have room for. im just curious if its possible to cool both and keep my oc on the cpu or if i should just forget it and use an aio. any feedback would be appreciated thanks

I would imagine if you kept them both stock you could get away with it.. I wouldn't personally recommend it.  Maybe on lessor equipment.  240 is it?  You couldn't do a 240 and a 120 or 140?

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

Just now, givegomezthegun said:

I would imagine if you kept them both stock you could get away with it.. I wouldn't personally recommend it.  Maybe on lessor equipment.  240 is it?  You couldn't do a 240 and a 120 or 140?

nope theres only room for a 240 unless i can find a way to mount another one randomly on the case i plan to use the in win d frame mini  i know its stupidly over priced but i like it

5 minutes ago, BradH said:

I was planning on upgrading my cooling to a custom loop seems how a big air cooler like the nh-d15s isnt an option. I use a 5820k and plan to use a 980ti and was wondering if i can cool both with a single 240 rad thats all i have room for. im just curious if its possible to cool both and keep my oc on the cpu or if i should just forget it and use an aio. any feedback would be appreciated thanks

If you go with a custom loop, go with more radiator surface area. Get a 360 or more and get all the cooling.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

If you go with a custom loop, go with more radiator surface area. Get a 360 or more and get all the cooling.

i would if i could but the case only supports a 240 i was planning on using an ek coolstream pe 240 rad

3 minutes ago, BradH said:

nope theres only room for a 240 unless i can find a way to mount another one randomly on the case i plan to use the in win d frame mini  i know its stupidly over priced but i like it

In that case I would maybe just stick to an AIO for the cpu and keep the gpu air cooled.  

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

1 minute ago, givegomezthegun said:

In that case I would maybe just stick to an AIO for the cpu and keep the gpu air cooled.  

was kinda thinking that was going to be the only way hopefully the next gen cards wont be so hot

4 minutes ago, BradH said:

i would if i could but the case only supports a 240 i was planning on using an ek coolstream pe 240 rad

ah that sucks, maybe you should use a predator 240 so you have the pump built in.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

ah that sucks, maybe you should use a predator 240 so you have the pump built in.

i was thinking the predator but thought it would be nice to cool the gpu also

1 minute ago, BradH said:

i was thinking the predator but thought it would be nice to cool the gpu also

Well the great thing about the predator is you can disconect the fittings and add things. you'll need to replace the tubing and get some more fittings tho. Also adding a reservoir would be a good idea for filling.

ASU

10 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:
10 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Well the great thing about the predator is you can disconect the fittings and add things. you'll need to replace the tubing and get some more fittings tho. Also adding a reservoir would be a good idea for filling.

i was thinking of doing that ty for the help also if i were to sell the 5820k and get a 6700k would it be possible to do both parts or is it just as impossible

30 minutes ago, BradH said:

i was thinking of doing that ty for the help also if i were to sell the 5820k and get a 6700k would it be possible to do both parts or is it just as impossible

Don't do that. 5820k is better. Also you'd have to get a new motherboard and you wouldn't be gaining that much efficiency.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Don't do that. 5820k is better. Also you'd have to get a new motherboard and you wouldn't be gaining that much efficiency.

i dont have a motherboard yet a friend gave me it for next to nothing when he upgraded i could always wait until new cards release and see how they are before i buy a new card

20 hours ago, BradH said:

i dont have a motherboard yet a friend gave me it for next to nothing when he upgraded i could always wait until new cards release and see how they are before i buy a new card

Perhaps waiting would be a good idea at this point, but for the love of all things silicon don't get a 6700k over a 5820k

ASU

23 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Perhaps waiting would be a good idea at this point, but for the love of all things silicon don't get a 6700k over a 5820k

i wont i may have found a work around ek sells brackets for rads so i can mabey weld them to the frame and add another 240 rad possibly or mabey a 360

9 minutes ago, BradH said:

i wont i may have found a work around ek sells brackets for rads so i can mabey weld them to the frame and add another 240 rad possibly or mabey a 360

I smell a build log, sounds cool!

ASU

o yes totaly ill have to do a build log evan if it takes me awhile to do it :)

Just now, Hackentosher said:

I smell a build log, sounds cool!