USB Overcharge detected?

Hi LTT forums,

So I was watching a movie on my PC just now and while repositioning my chair I jammed my headset cable damaging one of my USB 3.0 ports on the front of my NZXT H440. Because of this both USB 3.0 ports on the front don't work. 

I get the error "USB overcharge detected, shutting down pc to protect motherboard" whenever I boot the pc with a usb device plugged in to one of the two USB 3.0 ports.

It was a silly mistakes and sucks but im wondering if I can fix it? I googled the error and know exactly whats wrong but I would love to know how to fix these 2 ports. Right now they don't do anything when the PC is on. I can connect 1 USB device to the nonbroken 3.0 port but when connecting another 1 to the broken port both stop working.

Fix would be highly appreciated!

P.S: Sorry for long and probaly repetitive post it's late im tired :P

Pull the front USB ports out of the motherboard. You then should buy a USB hub and use that from there because I honestly don't know a fix for that. Probably your USB fuse could have blown which both of the ports were connected to. 

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k  @ 4.5Ghz 
    • Memory: 32GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance)
    • Graphics: ASUS GTX 980 Ti 
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97
    • Storage: 3x 1TB Samsung SSDs (Not in RAID) & 1TB WD Black HDD
    • Case: H440 Designed By Razer

24 minutes ago, Xenofen said:

-SNIP-

Sounds like the contacts or something is shorted out, when you plug a device in, I would see if any of the pins are damaged or can be realigned, if not then you might need to get a replacement front panel connectors.

That'll happen. If you look closely, you'll see something like this:

Spoiler

dsc00603va.jpg

Pull the cable from the motherboard to get it working right away. Of if you want to retain the use of the other port, cut the cable just right. Or bend the pins back.

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Hide contents

dsc00603va.jpg

Pull the cable from the motherboard to get it working right away. Of if you want to retain the use of the other port, cut the cable just right. Or bend the pins back.

Now this is usefull! Going to be a pain removing the plastic bit. Is it ussually glued?

20 minutes ago, Xenofen said:

Now this is usefull! Going to be a pain removing the plastic bit. Is it ussually glued?

Usually the two connectors are on a piece of PCB that's screwed on. There can be hot glue there too namely to strengthen the connection. But by the looks of this, it's just two screws and no glue on the connector. It's been a while since I've even seen an H440 but If it's anything like every other NZXT, you should be able to just pull the top off. Maybe squeeze the clips in a bit from the inside.

9 hours ago, Naeaes said:

Hide contents

dsc00603va.jpg

Update! While fiddling around with that 'broken' USB port I found that none of the ports are broken. The broken thing is my Razer Kraken! Half way through the cable there is now a melted bit that literally has smoke coming off of it while connected. Whatever port I connect the headset too gives me this USB overcharge error.

Tl:dr: headsets fucked up usb ports are fine!