So I decided to rip apart an old RCA stereo.

Godlygamer23

So I decided to rip apart an old RCA stereo that died on me during some troubleshooting - by dying, I mean visible sparks dying. I ultimately decided to scrap the whole thing, but I wanted to take out the circuit boards to have just because. It was a really fun experience, and the manufacturers of the board(not sure if RCA did that) did an awful job of soldering, but the stereo was only $150 at the time, so I suppose it's fine. Anyway, without further ado, here are the photos:

These are the circuit boards that were actually on the front panel. I didn't even know the displays looked like that once the outside panel was taken out of the equation. That was pretty cool. Also, if it looks like some of the wires were cut, they were with my scissors.

Spoiler

IMAG0129.thumb.jpg.0a8857ef08f499bbd8304

Closer look at the display

Spoiler

IMAG0125.thumb.jpg.820a7bd907ff9f55198de

This was in the 5 CD changer section of the stereo.

Spoiler

IMAG0131.thumb.jpg.5e1cfaa8dd1e85429e141

Another circuit board. To be honest, I'm not completely sure what some of these boards actually do, except work together to produce sound.

Spoiler

IMAG0127.thumb.jpg.cce3e310dcabdb7cb6b22

And, another one

Spoiler

IMAG0130.thumb.jpg.3d9722668ad63b838d79b

This last guy was the heaviest out of everything. Looks like a transformer.

Spoiler

IMAG0126.thumb.jpg.bfd7fcd659dbf2f31cd8f

That's pretty much it. It was a random project I wanted to do for a while. I kinda stopped, but then had a creative moment and that spread into taking this stereo apart and wanting to show off the guts. Let me know what you guys think of this. I assume that if no one responds with something constructive, that would imply no one actually cares.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

20 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

assume that if no one responds with something constructive, that would imply no one actually cares. 

Steel_construction.jpg.5db928c52ff3e1f6e

here's a constructive comment

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

(Posting from mobile)

Here is what I can gather from the images:

Fisrt image is the VFD and user interface board 

Second is the VFD display itself

Third is the disk changer without really any control circuitry

Fourth is the amp and power supply board, looks like there might also be the radio tuner on it?

Fifth is the main logic board, I assume it has surface mount components on the other side? Probably controls the CD changer as well

Sixth is indeed the transformer, it will likely have several voltage taps, including two windings of opposite phase for the amplifier.

Also the comment above is freakin hilarious. 

13 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

Steel_construction.jpg.5db928c52ff3e1f6e

here's a constructive comment

I'm stealing this.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4