Hard Disk Drive in PCIe slot?

LeechHax

I was bored today and came up with a random idea, but it's probably stupid. What if there were HDD's that you could connect to your PCIe slot? Would that even be possible? I know that people all already upgrading to M.2 SSD's because, apparently, PCIe is faster than SATA. But SSD's typically have lower storage than an HDD (unless you buy an expensive SSD)... But what if you wanted 4 TB of storage? But you also want more bandwidth? Would it work?

And there's an expression: "There's nothing new under the sun."

I bet someone already thought of that before.

You can, in a way. There are add-in cards that use the PCI bus to add SATA ports.

More bandwidth that a hdd doesn't need

Specs ---->

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4790k  Motherboard: GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK RAM: 2x8Gb DDR3 2400 Corsair Vengance GPU: RX 580 Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ring SSD: Vertex4 60Gb PSU: XFX XT600 Storage: #HDD1: WD Blue 1TB #HDD2: WD Green 2TB OS: Windows 10 home

They have those cards already, it's just that by the time you use enough drives to saturate that bandwidth you have piles of drives and need a separate case and or PSU with more plugs. That's exactly what a storage server is for.

I'd imagine a HDD is not fast enough to warrant using PCI-e slots?

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black