Best Nvidia control panel settings for GTX960

Mchedlo

Hey guys! i was reading recently on some forum that if you turn MSAA settings in Nvidia control panel to lets say 2x, in game when u set it to 2x it will be 4x, without stressing the GPU as it would have been on 4x. but thread was for GTX970. However i have GTX960 FTW edition, im wondering what should i change in my options to get better graphics and FPS at same time? any suggestions? 

1 minute ago, JurijPietrowicz said:

Sorry. MFAA is only supported on GTX 970 and 980.

how about other settings like:  Ambient occlusion: Quality or Performance? Tripple buffering On or Off? and etc. there are like hell of an options :)

7 minutes ago, Mchedlo said:

Hey guys! i was reading recently on some forum that if you turn MSAA settings in Nvidia control panel to lets say 2x, in game when u set it to 2x it will be 4x, without stressing the GPU as it would have been on 4x.

That sounds like maybe someone was describing the difference between CSAA 2x to MSAA 4x.

Personally I always force anisotrophic filtering to 16x in the Nvidia Control Panel globally. Even in games that have AF support, the driver setting is often better quality, and AF 16x has basically zero performance impact on a modern gaming video card.

I would not recommend forcing any antialiasing at the global level, because it is a relatively performance-intensive setting and your preference for it may vary on a game-by-game basis. Sometimes you'll want to use a different AA method. If you need it in a certain game, force it on for that game.

I edited my post above regarding MFAA.

As for the other options. There isn't realy much you can do besides cranking anisotropic filtering to 16x or overclocking your gpu.

Leave everything set to application controlled.

You may want to enable MFAA for when games that have MSAA, MFAA will be on instead (the option in the game will still say "MSAA", but it'll actually be MFAA).

Just now, typographie said:

That sounds like maybe someone was describing the difference between CSAA 2x to MSAA 4x.

Personally I always force anisotrophic filtering to 16x in the Nvidia Control Panel globally. Even in games that have AF support, the driver setting is often better quality, and AF 16x has basically zero performance impact on a modern gaming video card.

I would not recommend forcing any antialiasing at the global level, because it is a relatively performance-intensive setting and your preference for it may vary on a game-by-game basis. Sometimes you'll want to use a different AA method. If you need it in a certain game, force it on for that game.

so i should set anistrophic filtering to 16x right? :)) if its not killing performance. well about anti-aliasing i know, my card cant handle it, though it can handle FXAA but its kinda blurry to me. one question: if i change options in Nvidia panel, game will use Nvidia panel settings or settings which are set in Game?

1 minute ago, JurijPietrowicz said:

Nvidia Control Panel overrides game settings.

for example if i set Anti aliasing  settings OFF, in game i wont be able to turn it on or how does it work?

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Leave everything set to application controlled.

You may want to enable MFAA for when games that have MSAA, MFAA will be on instead (the option in the game will still say "MSAA", but it'll actually be MFAA).

even Ambient occlussion ? its set to OFF

10 minutes ago, Mchedlo said:

so i should set anistrophic filtering to 16x right? :)) if its not killing performance. well about anti-aliasing i know, my card cant handle it, though it can handle FXAA but its kinda blurry to me. one question: if i change options in Nvidia panel, game will use Nvidia panel settings or settings which are set in Game?

You can give anisotrophic filtering a shot. Chances are you won't notice a difference. I've done comparisons in some games and found the Nvidia AF to occasionally be superior, so it probably seems like a bigger deal to me than it actually is. But I've never seen it cause any problems.

I'd stay away from the Nvidia anti-aliasing settings, and either use the in-game settings or inject SMAA using SweetFX. AA really should be considered on a case by case basis in every game, since the choices are always different and it impacts performance in such wildly differing ways. Obviously you can give it a try if you want to, but I just don't think it's likely to be a good solution in the long term.

I think the Nvidia Control Panel gives you options to either override or enhance the game's settings. I'm not sure specifically how enhance works, to be honest.

Only those features in control panel that have option Application-Controlled can override ingame settings. For example Anisotropic Filtering.

2 minutes ago, Mchedlo said:

even Ambient occlussion ? its set to OFF

The setting in Nvidia Control Panel is just an enhancement, and isn't clear about that. Ambient Occlusion will still be able to be toggled through games if it has it.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

You can give anisotrophic filtering a shot. Chances are you won't notice a difference. I've done comparisons in some games and found the Nvidia AF to be superior, so it seems like a bigger deal to me than it probably is. But at worst, I think you just won't notice a difference. I've never seen it cause any problems.

I'd stay away from the Nvidia anti-aliasing settings, and either use the in-game settings or inject SMAA using SweetFX. AA really should be considered on a case by case basis in every game, since the choices are always different and it impacts performance in such wildly differing ways. Obviously you can give it a try if you want to, but I just don't think it's likely to be a good solution in the long term.

I think the Nvidia Control Panel gives you options to either override or enhance the game's settings. I'm not sure specifically how enhance works, to be honest.

yes i have tried AA with new games and it kills my FPS... though with older games it runs smooth 60FPS with AA turned to x16 (i dont mean FXAA). though i will give it a shot to AF 16x :))) i hope i will notice difference

4 minutes ago, JurijPietrowicz said:

Only those features in control panel that have option Application-Controlled can override ingame settings. For example Anisotropic Filtering.

i will just change AF in control panel then :))) i also found new option in settings, called Multi GPU acceleration which is set to Multi monitors, should i change it to Single display?

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

The setting in Nvidia Control Panel is just an enhancement, and isn't clear about that. Ambient Occlusion will still be able to be toggled through games if it has it.

gotcha! 

5 minutes ago, Mchedlo said:

yes i have tried AA with new games and it kills my FPS... though with older games it runs smooth 60FPS with AA turned to x16 (i dont mean FXAA). though i will give it a shot to AF 16x :))) i hope i will notice difference

Something else you could try is enabling DSR. You do it by checking the DSR multiples you'd like to use under "DSR – Factors." What that does is add new options into the resolution menus of games, up to 3840x2160 if you're on a 1920x1080 monitor. Obviously you won't be using it very often with a GTX 960, but it may be usable in very old/less demanding games. And the antialiasing effect it provides is extremely effective.

More details:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

Just now, Mchedlo said:

i will just change AF in control panel then :))) i also found new option in settings, called Multi GPU acceleration which is set to Multi monitors, should i change it to Single display?

Yes, you can. But from what i remember it only affect OpenGL games.

1 minute ago, typographie said:

Something else you could try is enabling DSR. You do it by checking the DSR multiples you'd like to use under "DSR – Factors." What that does is add new options into the resolution menus of games, up to 3840x2160 if you're on a 1920x1080 monitor. Obviously you won't be using it very often with a GTX 960, but it may be usable in very old/less demanding games. And the antialiasing effect it provides is extremely effective.

More details:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

i have 1080P monitor at this moment and games always display my perfect resolution though! :) i might buy a new GPU first and then new monitor (i want monitor with Gsync so that Vsync would stop eating my FPS :D )

3 minutes ago, JurijPietrowicz said:

Yes, you can. But from what i remember it only affect OpenGL games.

Gotcha! :)