I have gigabit internet, why isn't computer using it???

JoePro87

What network card does your desktop use?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

10 hours ago, skywake said:

For clarity, what result do you get when running speedtest from your PC? Because I was under the impression that you were getting Gigabit speed on speedtest from your desktop. Mostly because you said you were getting better results from speedtest quite a few times. Because if you are getting results that good from speedtest on your PC then it's not on your end. And the fact that you said later that your phones were "downloading faster" doesn't change my theory. Because it could be that your ISP has a mirror for those servers that they don't throttle.

If speedtests on your desktop are only getting 100Mbps then I'm wrong. But you haven't said otherwise....

See, that's the weird thing about it, my speedtests are fine. I eaily get 750-850mbps on my speedtests. I actually posted one early on in the thread. Yet, still, when downloading, I can't go above ~10MB/s. 

(Posting this on my phone right now, so having trouble quoting the other question)

In regards to what my network card is, I'm honestly not 100% positive what to say. Lol. It is an onboard card. I have the Asus M5A97 R2.0. If I had a standalone card, I would try it, trust me.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

OP have you tried plugging another computer into the exact same cable you got your desktop connected to and tried that?

It might be the cable or port on the router/switch that's broken.

Another explanation would be that quality of service is enabled somewhere. Do a reset on your router and see if that fixes it.

58 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

See, that's the weird thing about it, my speedtests are fine. I eaily get 750-850mbps on my speedtests. I actually posted one early on in the thread. Yet, still, when downloading, I can't go above ~10MB/s. 

If you're getting 750-800Mbps running speedtest on your desktop and only ~80Mbps downloading from the same machine? Even when downloading from multiple sources at once? I highly doubt it's anything to do with your setup. To me it sounds like your ISP is treating different sources of traffic differently. Can you run another test for me, go to speedtest and check a few overseas servers. See if any of those run at a similar same speed as the closest server does.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

OP have you tried plugging another computer into the exact same cable you got your desktop connected to and tried that?

It might be the cable or port on the router/switch that's broken.

Another explanation would be that quality of service is enabled somewhere. Do a reset on your router and see if that fixes it.

Not yet, but I can. And, you could be right, it could be the cable, or the port.

35 minutes ago, skywake said:

If you're getting 750-800Mbps running speedtest on your desktop and only ~80Mbps downloading from the same machine? Even when downloading from multiple sources at once? I highly doubt it's anything to do with your setup. To me it sounds like your ISP is treating different sources of traffic differently. Can you run another test for me, go to speedtest and check a few overseas servers. See if any of those run at a similar same speed as the closest server does.

Same as above. The only concern is, a lot of speedtest servers aren't build to upload at a 1gb/s. I would imagine any Google server would be able to handle it. Could you suggest any servers I can try?

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

8 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

The only concern is, a lot of speedtest servers aren't build to upload at a 1gb/s.

https://www.dslreports.com

They can uploud up to 10Gbits. You just need to flip the switch in the preferences.

Speed may be limited by write speed of your drive, but you have new ssd so  i have no clue.

how many other people have access to the connection? 

and you could try looking through the router / modem settings, there might be a built in limiter per computer that can be switched off. another factor might be on your computer's net adapter, alot of net adapters come with a slight limitation of 80% max netspeed, but that can be jacked up to 100% easily just by looking through your adapters settings in the network settings on your rig. 

as for vpns that were mentioned earlier on, cyberghost has a free trial that may be worth looking into

are you using a router? from what I gathered you seem to be plugged in directly into the NIC

if you are indeed using a router, bypass it and plug the WAN directly into your PC

download a Linux distro (Ubuntu, Mint) and test with those - if there is a significant difference, your windows install is borked

on-board NIC, what is it? check for driver updates on manufacturer's web-site; NOT! on motherboard's website

do you have a 3rd party firewall? disable it

can you buy / borrow a Intel based NIC?

I have a Intel CT, worth every eurocent: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-EXPI9301CTBLK-1000Mbps-PCI-Express-Network/dp/B00830H91M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1457808192&sr=8-4&keywords=intel+desktop+ct - has HW offloading