Raspberry Pi University Project

RavingSmurfGB

Hi, thanks for reading. I have been set a group project where we have to come up with something innovative/original to do with a Raspberry Pi/Arduino. We have some ideas and I was hoping to get some improvements, other good suggestions or even flaws you find in out plans.

1. Raspberry Pi Home Server- This has been done before i know, however we wanted to add a little twist to it through the following features.  
    • Have RAID 
    • Wi-Fi repeater
    • media server for a living room (maybe using XBMC)
    • UPS battery backup (Since it's a raspberry pi with 2 or more hard drives attached I wouldn't think it would consume a lot of energy)
    • Automaticly backup files from network attached computers (like Cobian Backup)
    • Have a Web portal so you can access your files from work

I know Cloud is a thing, but the idea is a personal cloud, where you can store as much data as you like. I don't like how this project isn't very original, maybe some more functionality could product more of a reason for existing. Was also thinking of 3d printing a enclosure for it, but am not experienced at 3d design.

2. Raspberry VR - I know realise this isn't the best idea considering how phones can easily become a VR headset.

We have 2 months to complete this project and will post the results on here if it goes well. :D

sounds intresting :o 

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

This is relevant to my interest. Going to follow and see how it turns out

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Ethernet is not fast enough and will be a huge bottleneck.

1 minute ago, .spider. said:

Ethernet is not fast enough and will be a huge bottleneck.

Not fast enough for what? The cloud web portal to transfer data to the user?

7 minutes ago, RavingSmurfGB said:

Not fast enough for what? The cloud web portal to transfer data to the user?

No within the lan.

There are better sub 50$ boards like the banana pi or the Odroid C2

8 minutes ago, .spider. said:

No within the lan.

There are better sub 50$ boards like the banana pi or the Odroid C2

Well the real issue here is if they want to download files from it at work or somewhere else. Because it is dependant on their upload speed and because nearly all ISP's give asymmetric connections the upload will always be slower (from the pi - to the client)

The Ethernet port on it is 10/100 (100Mbps) which is disappointing I assumed it would be gigabit, however because we are aiming this product at home/small businesses and trying to make it low cost I think it will be fine. We intent to have it connect to Wi-Fi as an alternative so people don't have to run cables through their house. 

We're mainly using the raspberry pi because I have one and our university can lend us another, thanks for bringing light to this issue.

10 minutes ago, RavingSmurfGB said:

Well the real issue here is if they want to download files from it at work or somewhere else. Because it is dependant on their upload speed and because nearly all ISP's give asymmetric connections the upload will always be slower (from the pi - to the client)

I know that but I also know that this is not fixable while it is very easy to get a proper board.

I wish my school would do these projects instead of make a document on how to use Excel.

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

28 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

I wish my school would do these projects instead of make a document on how to use Excel.

Yeah i remember that. very fun :P tbf im at university so just wait a while for stuff to get interesting

The problem is i dont plan on going to university since im still on school till like my 21/22. I dont like the idea of starting with a fulltime job at my 26/27

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

On 3/8/2016 at 1:15 AM, Cruorzy said:

The problem is i dont plan on going to university since im still on school till like my 21/22. I dont like the idea of starting with a fulltime job at my 26/27

So you'd rather work at a lower paying job for longer than at a higher paying one for shorter? Unless you really need money asap I'd recommend getting a degree.

As for the actual project, I'm not too sure about setting up RAID on a Raspberry Pi, it just sounds like it shouldn't be doable but then again I've seen people make Raspberry Pi computing clusters so RAID could be doable. Also you could always try to make a drone that say follows you around and films you in 3rd person. That's something I'd want to try making at some point...