Multiple distros use GPU as sound card... or something

For some reason, the distros I've tried (that's actually only Ubuntu and Manjaro) use my GPU as a sound card instead of using the onboard Realtek soundcard. This is fine as long as I only want to listen through the speakers, but becomes a problem when I need to use headphones because it flat out doesn't work. On Ubuntu, I tried messing with Alsa and a few of the sound settings, but I ended up with no sound whatsoever. Now I'm trying out (and hopefully staying on) Manjaro, but I have the same problem. Do I need to get a driver from Realtek's website or something? This is going to drive me nuts until I figure it out.

EDIT: really dumb question... how tf do you delete sticky notes on a KDE desktop? I accidentally hit paste (middle click) and now I have a bunch of stickies on my desktop -_-

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

8 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

For some reason, the distros I've tried (that's actually only Ubuntu and Manjaro) use my GPU as a sound card instead of using the onboard Realtek soundcard. This is fine as long as I only want to listen through the speakers, but becomes a problem when I need to use headphones because it flat out doesn't work. On Ubuntu, I tried messing with Alsa and a few of the sound settings, but I ended up with no sound whatsoever. Now I'm trying out (and hopefully staying on) Manjaro, but I have the same problem. Do I need to get a driver from Realtek's website or something? This is going to drive me nuts until I figure it out.

Does the realtek soundcard show up in the sound settings like this?: 

cOCKDmj.png

9 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

gpu accelerated sound lol. xD I like your style Linux!!!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

2 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Does the realtek soundcard show up in the sound settings like this?: <snip>

Screenshot_20160301_232448.thumb.png.a92

Mine's obviously a little differnt than yours, but I think it's the same idea

Just now, Tmt97 said:

gpu accelerated sound lol. xD I like your style Linux!!!

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on lol. I'm guessing it has something to do with how they have audio passthrough for a monitor with speakers.

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

The "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" should be your realtek card.

5 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Mine's obviously a little differnt than yours, but I think it's the same idea

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on lol. I'm guessing it has something to do with how they have audio passthrough for a monitor with speakers.

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

The "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" should be your realtek card.

Right, and it is the preffered sound card. I guess it is using the realtek card, I was confused because it defaults to showing the Nvidia card when I hit the 'Hardware Audio Setup" tab. Still, I can't play any audio through the front panel connectors, and I know it isn't a hardware problem because it works fine in Windows. I guess I should try Realtek's website and see what I find there. Maybe they have a driver I can download

2 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Right, and it is the preffered sound card. I guess it is using the realtek card, I was confused because it defaults to showing the Nvidia card when I hit the 'Hardware Audio Setup" tab. Still, I can't play any audio through the front panel connectors, and I know it isn't a hardware problem because it works fine in Windows. I guess I should try Realtek's website and see what I find there. Maybe they have a driver I can download

huh, that is weird.

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

huh, that is weird.

I'm even more blown away by the fact that it persists through two totally different distros. I actually tried out Manjaro partially because I heard about Manjaro Hardware Detection and thought it might recognize my sound card

Good to see you on Manjaro :)

So it's only the front panel connector?

Does the audio jack at the back work?

CPU: Intel i5-3470

GPU: MSI GTX 780

2 hours ago, KaasKop said:

Good to see you on Manjaro :)

So it's only the front panel connector?

Does the audio jack at the back work?

Good to be on it. Really liking it so far :) but yes, the rear panel works fine, everything plays through my speakers no problem. I didn't have time to try last night, it got too late, but I'm going to have to install a driver from Realtek's website. Crossing my fingers I don't break my audio again haha

Okay, could you run, "aplay -l" and give us the results?

When I get home i'll check if the front panel works on my own rig, if not well then I have something to do as well hehe.

1 hour ago, KaasKop said:

When I get home i'll check if the front panel works on my own rig, if not well then I have something to do as well hehe.

I won't be home for another 5 hours, but I'll give it a shot when I get the chance

6 hours ago, KaasKop said:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]

37 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]

Wanna hear the funniest thing?
I just saw your reply and I forgot to test mine and euhm yeah it also doesn't work!

Audio jack in the back is fine, even have a gaming headset connected via USB no biggie, but front panel oh god no. hehe

So expect more tommorow since imma go sleep now.

2 minutes ago, KaasKop said:

Wanna hear the funniest thing?
I just saw your reply and I forgot to test mine and euhm yeah it also doesn't work!

Audio jack in the back is fine, even have a gaming headset connected via USB no biggie, but front panel oh god no. hehe

So expect more tommorow since imma go sleep now.

I'm in the middle of installing the driver from Realtek's website, I'll let you know how that goes. Hopefully it'll solve our problems.