Pump connected to molex?

Quick question. I'm doing the cable management on my PC right now. Can I connect my pump to molex? Will this cause any problems I should know about? Thanks!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

You will not have much control over pump rpm but you should be able to connect without problems

6 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Quick question. I'm doing the cable management on my PC right now. Can I connect my pump to molex? Will this cause any problems I should know about? Thanks!

That would be correct depending on the pump your using , most have a separate power line being the molex and rpm/control line for the 3/4pin fan connector to the CPU header.

12 minutes ago, BaileyFY said:

You will not have much control over pump rpm but you should be able to connect without problems

I'm a watercooling noob. I didn't even know pump rpm was something you can control. Is there any reason I would want to control pump rpm, or would need to?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

That would be correct depending on the pump your using , most have a separate power line being the molex and rpm/control line for the 3/4pin fan connector to the CPU header.

Yea, mine only has a 3pin connector. But I have a 3pin to molex adapter.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

3 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Yea, mine only has a 3pin connector. But I have a 3pin to molex adapter.

Hmm what pump are you using exactly, cause depending on the unit it may only be a single speed and not variable. 

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

Hmm what pump are you using exactly, cause depending on the unit it may only be a single speed and not variable. 

I cant find the exact model, but its a silverstone AIO cooler. It says tundra series on the manual.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

7 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

I cant find the exact model, but its a silverstone AIO cooler. It says tundra series on the manual.

Oh ok for AIO's they use fairly low power pumps so it would be safe to directly plug it into the CPU header without issue. Depending on the specs of the unit some will be ok with speed control while others will require it to operate at 12V or full power constantly.

19 minutes ago, W-L said:

Oh ok for AIO's they use fairly low power pumps so it would be safe to directly plug it into the CPU header without issue. Depending on the specs of the unit some will be ok with speed control while others will require it to operate at 12V or full power constantly.

Did you mean its safe to plug it into molex without issue? I've already had it in the cpu header. I just wanted to know if molex was safe as well.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

34 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Did you mean its safe to plug it into molex without issue? I've already had it in the cpu header. I just wanted to know if molex was safe as well.

Yes both options will work I assume the adapter has a 3 pin line for the RPM.