Kubuntu 15.10 can't sign in

I just installed Kubuntu 15.10 on my rig after using it (14.04 actually) on my laptop for a week. The install process went smoothly, there were no errors or anything, but when I try to log in the screen goes black and then dumps me right back at the login screen

EDIT: I didn't even hit post yet, but I managed to log in through the terminal and then startx. Now it's hanging on the splash screen at about 50%. Should I just shut down and try to reinstall?

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

This happens when I use an old graphics card. See if you can install graphics drivers with apt-get or install them somehow through the terminal. Intel should have good Linux support.

(I am assuming you have an Intel based laptop)

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

In the terminal, go to your home folder (cd ~) and then run the command "tail .xinitrc" and post results?

CPU: Intel i5-3470

GPU: MSI GTX 780

Just now, KaasKop said:

In the terminal, go to your home folder (cd ~) and then run the command "tail .xinitrc" and post results?

Currently waiting for the nvidia driver to download. It's going really slow so give me a few minutes

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

2 minutes ago, KaasKop said:

Can you tell me what this does, I have a Geforce 6150 LE and I have terrible graphics artifacts in Ubuntu and I want to fix it as well. It sends me back to the login too then crashes.

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

12 minutes ago, KaasKop said:

Not getting anything. I opened my home folder, typed that, and it said there was no such file

I forgot that KDE uses wayland... or not idk, currently downloading the kubuntu ISO to see for myself..

but anyways if the file ".xinitrc" does not exists create it and type "exec startkde"  if that fails (which probably will)

Use this: https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland#Starting_a_nested_KWin

There are more ways to start it if you scroll down.

1 hour ago, KaasKop said:

I forgot that KDE uses wayland...

It doesn't afaik

11 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

I managed to log in through the terminal and then startx. Now it's hanging on the splash screen at about 50%. Should I just shut down and try to reinstall?

try reinstalling plasma, sometimes it can break. Given your symptoms it's more likely to be that than xorg or the gpu driver.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, KaasKop said:

I forgot that KDE uses wayland... or not idk, currently downloading the kubuntu ISO to see for myself..

but anyways if the file ".xinitrc" does not exists create it and type "exec startkde"  if that fails (which probably will)

Use this: https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland#Starting_a_nested_KWin

There are more ways to start it if you scroll down.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

It doesn't afaik

try reinstalling plasma, sometimes it can break. Given your symptoms it's more likely to be that than xorg or the gpu driver.

I gave up on Kubuntu because whatever I did to the Nvidia driver totally broke it, then I spent a good four hours giving Arch a try last night, but that was a shit-show as well. I'm going to try to install Arch one more time when I get home from school, and if I mess it up again I'll probably give Kubuntu another try. 

2 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

I gave up on Kubuntu because whatever I did to the Nvidia driver totally broke it, then I spent a good four hours giving Arch a try last night, but that was a shit-show as well. I'm going to try to install Arch one more time when I get home from school, and if I mess it up again I'll probably give Kubuntu another try. 

If you need help on installing arch please ask :)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 hours ago, steezemageeze said:

Ye it took me a while too, you could always go for Manjaro, it's arch based and pretty darn good.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

If you need help on installing arch please ask :)

Thanks, will do :D I'm pretty sure my problem is getting the EFI partition made, all the tutorials I've watched skipped it because they were in a VM and didn't have to do it. I found a pretty good guide that explains it, so we'll see how it goes.

1 hour ago, KaasKop said:

Ye it took me a while too, you could always go for Manjaro, it's arch based and pretty darn good.

I'm seriously considering it. I was going to try Kubuntu again because I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I'm reading the Manjaro wiki right now and I'm really  liking what I see. 

9 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Thanks, will do :D I'm pretty sure my problem is getting the EFI partition made, all the tutorials I've watched skipped it because they were in a VM and didn't have to do it. I found a pretty good guide that explains it, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm seriously considering it. I was going to try Kubuntu again because I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I'm reading the Manjaro wiki right now and I'm really  liking what I see. 

CFdisk has been updated recently and the interface and functions have been changed significantly, unfortunately it's harder to find good guides with the new version. What I usually do is make a dedicated 1MiB partition for grub. Since you want UEFI support, you'll want to set its type to "EFI <something>" and install grub accordingly.

Open suse is very good by the way, if you decide to give up it's a great and stable prepackaged option.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*