radiator cooler on PSU?

Tmt97

Any reason I can't mount an 120mm radiator on the side of my PSU in the front of the 120mm fan? The idea just occurred to me. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't mount properly, but I wanted to know if I'm missing any reason it'd be a bad idea.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

Any reason I can't mount an 120mm radiator on the side of my PSU in the front of the 120mm fan? The idea just occurred to me. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't mount properly, but I wanted to know if I'm missing any reason it'd be a bad idea.

So using the fan in the PSU to push air thru a rad? If thats what you're saying then probably shouldn't. the fans aren't meant to they are in my experience just cheap little fans that are meant to be slightly more than passive cooling.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

many PSU fans don't run all of the time, and aren't very heavy duty when they are spinning, wouldn't recommend in general.

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

You can, with some caveats-

Doing this on a  bottom mounted PSU is a risk- a leak could potentially cause a fire. A top moused or side mounted one for itx/matx cases is  a better use case. 

You need to open up your PSU, voiding the warranty. This means you need to be prepared safety wise, and the old fan is likely soldered in.  The fan will need to be swapped and controlled from the outside of the psu. Thankfully if for some reason the fan doesn't turn on and the psu gets too hot it will just shut off. The fan should be always on obv. 

There will be no way to monitor the temperature of the PSU if it's not one of those smart ones with software. In addition, a single 120mm rad cooling something can exhaust quite some heat. I suggest making it an intake, and making the case pull air back to front. In addition, before doing this, figure out how fast the psu fan moves under close to max load in a hot room. Likely not fast, but double check. 

Finally, this can cause dust, even in a positive pressure situation. You may want to figure out a filter solution, or be prepared to clean the PSU every now and then. 

If it's an ITX case with no room, I say it's a pretty cool thing to do!

edit

I have no idea why people on this thread are assuming you would be using the PSU fan. Kinda ridiculous. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

15 minutes ago, Elehat said:

many PSU fans don't run all of the time, and aren't very heavy duty when they are spinning, wouldn't recommend in general.

19 minutes ago, NTF5252 said:

So using the fan in the PSU to push air thru a rad? If thats what you're saying then probably shouldn't. the fans aren't meant to they are in my experience just cheap little fans that are meant to be slightly more than passive cooling.

No, no! You misunderstand XD. I would just be using it to mount the radiator to since it has 120mm fan holes. I've already modded the PSU to have a noctua nf-p12 on the inside, and I'd be putting another one on top of the radiator outside the PSU.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Don't do it. The fan on the PSU is there to cool down the PSU alone.

Also it would be tricky to find a way to mount it to begin with. You'd have to find a way to tighten the screws from within the PSU. Or jerryrig it on there without screws.

14 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

You can, with some caveats-

Doing this on a  bottom mounted PSU is a risk- a leak could potentially cause a fire. A top moused or side mounted one for itx/matx cases is  a better use case. 

You need to open up your PSU, voiding the warranty. This means you need to be prepared safety wise, and the old fan is likely soldered in.  The fan will need to be swapped. Thankfully if for some reason the fan doesn't turn on and the psu gets too hot it will just shut off. The fan should be always on obv. 

There will be no way to monitor the temperature of the PSU if it's not one of those smart ones with software. In addition, a single 120mm rad cooling something can exhaust quite some heat. I suggest making it an intake, and making the case pull air back to front. In addition, before doing this, figure out how fast the psu fan moves under close to max load in a hot room. Likely not fast, but double check. 

Finally, this can cause dust, even in a positive pressure situation. You may want to figure out a filter solution, or be prepared to clean the PSU every now and then. 

If it's an ITX case with no room, I say it's a pretty cool thing to do!

The psu is mounted on its side in the case I'm gonna be using. You can see here how its oriented: https://mail.google.com/_/scs/mail-static/_/js/k=gmail.main.en.F_AwFpdvDl8.O/m=m_i,t,it/am=PiPeSMD83_uDuM4QQLv0gQrz3n--W1L87LnH_-9NAJH6FcD_zf4fwP_Be9EWCg/rt=h/d=1/t=zcms/rs=AHGWq9BftDQ9vEcLwVZYmmOyHKvnh-P_pQ

The PSU never had a warranty, and even if it did, It was lost when I swapped out the internal fan with a noctua nf-p12.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

The psu is mounted on its side in the case I'm gonna be using. You can see here how its oriented: https://mail.google.com/_/scs/mail-static/_/js/k=gmail.main.en.F_AwFpdvDl8.O/m=m_i,t,it/am=PiPeSMD83_uDuM4QQLv0gQrz3n--W1L87LnH_-9NAJH6FcD_zf4fwP_Be9EWCg/rt=h/d=1/t=zcms/rs=AHGWq9BftDQ9vEcLwVZYmmOyHKvnh-P_pQ

The PSU never had a warranty, and even if it did, It was lost when I swapped out the internal fan with a noctua nf-p12.

I don't think you can link an image from gmail 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

You could technically do this, but you'd be dumping a load of hot air into your power supply if you're running at load. PSU fans suck air in, not out. Unless you flip the fan, in which case, you're blowing hot air into your cooler under load. Which isn't as bad, but it's not great for cooling. And if your rad leaks, you're screwed.

12 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

You could technically do this, but you'd be dumping a load of hot air into your power supply if you're running at load. PSU fans suck air in, not out. Unless you flip the fan, in which case, you're blowing hot air into your cooler under load. Which isn't as bad, but it's not great for cooling. And if your rad leaks, you're screwed.

Well I could flip the fan easily, as I've already opened it up and replaced the current fan with a noctua nf-p12 anyway.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

edit: accidental double-post xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Accidental triple post? Not sure how this happened? @mods help? lol

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

edit: accidental double-post xD

Triple post. Oops xD

My 600W version of that PSU runs pretty insanely hot. All I hear when gaming is that thing cranking its fan up to full speed and it spewing heat out the back. You really dont want to be adding any more heat into it unless you flip the internal fan around and make the exhaust air from the PSU go INTO the radiator

14 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My 600W version of that PSU runs pretty insanely hot. All I hear when gaming is that thing cranking its fan up to full speed and it spewing heat out the back. You really dont want to be adding any more heat into it unless you flip the internal fan around and make the exhaust air from the PSU go INTO the radiator

Flipping the fan around wouldn't be an issue... Personally I havn't found the 500watt version to put out much heat, so maybe it wouldn't really hinder the radiators cooling performance much? Maybe were getting different results due to different draws on the power? Is your PC drawing most of the 600watts your PSU can supply?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

Flipping the fan around wouldn't be an issue... Personally I havn't found the 500watt version to put out much heat, so maybe it wouldn't really hinder the radiators cooling performance much? Maybe were getting different results due to different draws on the power? Is your PC drawing most of the 600watts your PSU can supply?

Certainly not the full 600, but a 130W CPU and 275W GPU is certainly pretty warm