A good laptop for AUTOCAD

lior1111

hows this one for autocad work? 

http://en.ksp.co.il/?uin=30188&store=KSP03 

if its not good , then maybe you guys might help me pick one because i have no idea about laptop cpu and how they compare to the desktop ones 

I can only buy one from this site : 

http://en.ksp.co.il/?select=268..271

Budget : 3800 ILS

as I do not live in anywhere super comfortable for pc enthusiasts 

Thanks alot in advance!

MSI Mobile Workstations. Go to MSI's websites, they have a section for mobile workstations. Really powerful and portable.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

2 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

MSI Mobile Workstations. Go to MSI's websites, they have a section for mobile workstations. Really powerful and portable.

there are no msi laptops in that site.. im wondering if you can help me pick one from this specific site

17 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

there are no msi laptops in that site.. im wondering if you can help me pick one from this specific site

Any specific reason you can only shop from that site?

Just now, FirstArmada said:

Any specific reason you can only shop from that site?

all other shops are about the same , and in this one i can buy stuff for the lowest price.. cant order from newegg or something even if i had the cash.. its just not possible

21 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

Any specific reason you can only shop from that site

If you were to build a PC rather then buy a laptop you could get much much much more for your money around double the preformance then a laptop

Just now, FirstArmada said:

Any specific reason you can only shop from that site

If you were to build a PC rather then buy a laptop you could get much much much more for your money around double the preformance then a laptop

ye but , its for my brother and he needs a mobile system cause he traveles ALOT so.. 

Ahhh okay , so ive narrowed it down to 2 options these are the best you can get for under your price range from what ive seen from that site

Option 1 (Nvidia)

i7 - 5500U 

8 GB of RAM clocked at 1600 Mhz can be expanded to 16 GB of RAM

500 GB 5400 RPM SSD with 8 GB SSD Cache

15.6 Inch 1080P touch screen display 

GT 940 2GB DDR3

Option 2 (AMD)

i7 5500U

256 GB SSD

15.6 Inch 1080P non touch screen display 

R7 M360 2GB DDR3

Both provide nearly identical performance but with the AMD you get an SSD and with Nvidia you get a touch screen so its down to prefrence at this point i personally prefer option 2 as it comes with an SSD  but its only 256 GB and you might have to buy an external hard drive to store some things but you should be able to afford one as it is 200 ils below your budget

2 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Ahhh okay , so ive narrowed it down to 2 options these are the best you can get for under your price range from what ive seen from that site

Option 1 (Nvidia)

i7 - 5500U 

500 GB 5400 RPM SSD with 8 GB SSD Cache

15.6 Inch 1080P touch screen display 

GT 940 2GB DDR3

Option 2 (AMD)

i7 5500U

256 GB SSD

15.6 Inch 1080P non touch screen display 

R7 M360 2GB DDR3

Both provide nearly identical performance but with the AMD you get an SSD and with Nvidia you get a touch screen so its down to prefrence at this point i personally prefer option 2 as it comes with an SSD  but its only 256 GB and you might have to buy an external hard drive to store some things but you should be able to afford one as it is 200 ils below your budget

man , first of all , thanks so much for being that precise , organized and helpful. 

But it is actually my fault for not mentioning , my brother bought an SSHD that he wants to put inside his laptop so hes searching for an HDD one to save even more cash , and he also doesnt want a touch screen.. these are like the only things he needs.. sorry for wasting your time , would be awesome if you can help me with that aswell. he said he would consider the second option , although hes a little bummed about the fact he wouldnt use the money spent on the SSHD

http://en.ksp.co.il/?uin=29567

ASUS X555UB-DM022T

Barely squeaks in under 3800. None of these options are ideal as AutoCAD GPU accel is somewhat finicky in the mobile sector.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

10 minutes ago, runit3 said:

http://en.ksp.co.il/?uin=29567

ASUS X555UB-DM022T

Barely squeaks in under 3800. None of these options are ideal as AutoCAD GPU accel is somewhat finicky in the mobile sector.

mhm this one looks pretty awesome , thank you! , do you think there might be a better option if i go for 14''?

Just now, lior1111 said:

mhm this one looks pretty awesome , thank you! , do you think there might be a better option if i go for 14''?

You're limited by two main things in regards to AutoCAD, CPU and GPU horsepower. I filtered by i7 (Skylake only) and 1920x1080 as working below 1080 in any CAD software is not a fun experience. There were a couple options sub 1080 if I remember correctly under 15", but none leaped out at me as good value for money.

Just so I'm clear on my opinion of this, none of the laptops available here would be suitable for a sole AutoCAD production machine. They all will just "make due" as a temporary project editing suite, I think I would lose my mind if I had to use a laptop as a primary project development platform. I haven't had my fingers in the AutoCAD space in quite a while so I'm not up to date on their overhead requirements but as soon as you enter the 3D modeling space life begins to suck without at least a desktop grade i7. That being said, I have been impressed by the Skylake gen mobile offerings. It would be more economical if you could get away with a laptop using solely integrated graphics, but I would need to get my hands on AutoCAD again to do any kind of testing without a dedicated GPU.

How well this is going to work is also going to be highly dependent on the types of files that your brother is editing. AutoCAD has a huge range of variability in hardware requirements depending on the project size and complexity. 

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

3 minutes ago, runit3 said:

You're limited by two main things in regards to AutoCAD, CPU and GPU horsepower. I filtered by i7 (Skylake only) and 1920x1080 as working below 1080 in any CAD software is not a fun experience. There were a couple options sub 1080 if I remember correctly under 15", but none leaped out at me as good value for money.

Just so I'm clear on my opinion of this, none of the laptops available here would be suitable for a sole AutoCAD production machine. They all will just "make due" as a temporary project editing suite, I think I would lose my mind if I had to use a laptop as a primary project development platform. I haven't had my fingers in the AutoCAD space in quite a while so I'm not up to date on their overhead requirements but as soon as you enter the 3D modeling space life begins to suck without at least a desktop grade i7. That being said, I have been impressed by the Skylake gen mobile offerings. It would be more economical if you could get away with a laptop using solely integrated graphics, but I would need to get my hands on AutoCAD again to do any kind of testing without a dedicated GPU.

How well this is going to work is also going to be highly dependent on the types of files that your brother is editing. AutoCAD has a huge range of variability in hardware requirements depending on the project size and complexity. 

oh so you have to have 15'' for a fully 1080p i got it now.. and my brother , in the meanwhile , isnt doing anything too complicated , hes still a student. although he got an i3 now and its working fine until it has to calculate some heavy shit , so i guess an i7 is going to work for him. 

Thanks alot !

11 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

oh so you have to have 15'' for a fully 1080p i got it now.. and my brother , in the meanwhile , isnt doing anything too complicated , hes still a student. although he got an i3 now and its working fine until it has to calculate some heavy shit , so i guess an i7 is going to work for him. 

Thanks alot !

Yeah, running it on the laptop isn't going to be any better. The i7-6500U is essentially a lower clocked desktop i3 (2c/4t). He would need an i7-6700HQ to get 4c/8t, but I looked, and any machine on that site in that configuration is way out of the price range. Even the i5-HQ series are 4-500 above your budget. :(