Non activated windows ?

Midnitewarrior4

So my uncle is starting a small business and he has a old dell precision 380 workstation, which at the time was Ballin, and the hardware isn't a limiting factor for him as he's doing small stuff. The problem is that it's running windows xp pro, if I put a copy of windows 8 with no activation key could he still use it ? And what would not be available on the non activated os ? 

Also side note srry I didn't feel like making two topics... what's a good free document writer ? Like Microsoft type thing but free ?

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

2 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

So my uncle is starting a small business and he has a old dell precision 380 workstation, which at the time was Ballin, and the hardware isn't a limiting factor for him as he's doing small stuff. The problem is that it's running windows xp pro, if I put a copy of windows 8 with no activation key could he still use it ? And what would not be available on the non activated os ? 

Also side not srry I didn't feel like making two topics... what's a good free document writer ? Like Microsoft type thing but free ?

Oh he could still use it for 30 days. Then it will get very angry and shut down every few hrs. Just pay 20 dollars on a site to get a key. For a free document writer, open office is my choice.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

3 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

Also side not srry I didn't feel like making two topics... what's a good free document writer ? Like Microsoft type thing but free ?

If he's starting a business buying windows 8 and microsoft office should be part of his investment....

If I remember correctly he'll have like a certain period of time to activate it before Windows starts edging in it's motivation techniques for you to buy a license.

As far as the document writer though, I normally use Google Drive for simple stuff, but if you need a standalone you could use OpenOffice.  I've used it for the document application and it works good, for powerpoints not so much.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

2 minutes ago, thecreativename said:

If he's starting a business buying windows 8 and microsoft office should be part of his investment....

Spending 150$ on a 10 year old computer that might die anytime isn't that wise imo

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

2 minutes ago, Aruxx said:

If I remember correctly he'll have like a certain period of time to activate it before Windows starts edging in it's motivation techniques for you to buy a license.

As far as the document writer though, I normally use Google Drive for simple stuff, but if you need a standalone you could use OpenOffice.  I've used it for the document application and it works good, for powerpoints not so much.

OK,  PowerPoint isn't a problem an thanks

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

use windows 10

you can have it unactivated and still use it perfectly fine

scroll down http://www.windowscentral.com/you-do-not-need-activate-windows-10

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

Spending 150$ on a 10 year old computer that might die anytime isn't that wise imo

If windows xp isn't cutting and you need a newer operating system, that 150 dollars IS wise. You either pay and buy windows 8, or just keep using windows xp.

And if the computer "might die anytime" then buying a new computer should also be part of his investment starting the business. This is basic econ stuff... they teach this to you in high school.

Also side note srry I didn't feel like making two topics... what's a good free document writer ? Like Microsoft type thing but free ?

what are the specs of this pc?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

12 minutes ago, techguru said:

what are the specs of this pc?

Pentium 820, 2gb ddr2, 500 watt psu, dvd drive, wd blue 1tb, windows xp pro

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Pentium 820, 2gb ddr2, 500 watt psu, dvd drive, wd blue 1tb, windows xp pro

your gonna need more ram for any newer OS

cpu is pretty bad to...should look into a second hand cpu for it

10 minutes ago, techguru said:

your gonna need more ram for any newer OS

cpu is pretty bad to...should look into a second hand cpu for it

sorry my bad its the pentium extreme 840, its a 3.2 ghz hyper threaded dual core

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

1 minute ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

sorry my bad its the pentium extreme 840, its a 3.2 ghz hyper threaded dual core

still gonna need more ram

1 minute ago, techguru said:

still gonna need more ram

ya i know, not sure if im just going to leave it or do it, just one of those things that may or may not happen, just wanted to know if i could

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

2 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

ya i know, not sure if im just going to leave it or do it, just one of those things that may or may not happen, just wanted to know if i could

if you got more ram and ..maybe a supported videocard..you could probably install windows 10 on it

Just now, techguru said:

if you got more ram and ..maybe a supported videocard..you could probably install windows 10 on it

its running an old amd fire pro card, didnt really look into the gpu much

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

Just now, Midnitewarrior4 said:

its running an old amd fire pro card, didnt really look into the gpu much

you'd probably need something like a nvidia 720 or a amd r7 series

I just this past weekend upgraded an old lenovo thinkcenter desktop pc to windows 10..put in 4gb of ram to its 2gb..for 6gb..and put in a nvidia 720 gpu..and its running decently now

before this 10..it had like windows xp on it