Does the latest Linux kernel fully support TRIM

dukethedj
Go to solution Solved by dukethedj,
Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

As far as I know it has supported it for quite some time, but it was disabled by default for quite a while because they found that the performance hit of constantly running it with every deletion was worse than just not using it.  I think since then they've found a solution and enabled it by default, but regardless it is definitely supported these days :)

OK, I guess only time will tell.

Thanks for the response

I've read some information on the intetwebs that Ubuntu does not fully support TRIM and I would have to do some sort of command to enable it. Those articles were written in 2013. I am wondering if it is enabled by default with the ext4 file system.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

4 minutes ago, dukethedj said:

I've read some information on the intetwebs that Ubuntu does not fully support TRIM and I would have to do some sort of command to enable it. Those articles were written in 2013. I am wondering if it is enabled by default with the ext4 file system.

my experience is that you need to add a bunch of repos and go pretty deep in the kernal files, making some changes, to get it too work seemlessly.  

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

9 minutes ago, dukethedj said:

As far as I know it has supported it for quite some time, but it was disabled by default for quite a while because they found that the performance hit of constantly running it with every deletion was worse than just not using it.  I think since then they've found a solution and enabled it by default, but regardless it is definitely supported these days :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

OK, I guess only time will tell.

Thanks for the response

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

If you're concerned about TRIM and Garbage Collection, you can always over provision (OP) your drives by at least 10% to avoid slowdown. This is what I do on all of my Linux servers since the RAID controllers don't support TRIM.

-KuJoe