3x 850 EVO in RAID 0 not detected by Windows

Hi,

I have an ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 with 3x Samsung 850 EVO's connected to ports 1,2,3 they are setup in RAID 0, and the array shows as "functional" but it isnt detected by Windows installer, even when the driver is loaded, tried multiple drivers from ASUS. i have even resorted to setting ports 5+6 to IDE and installing windwos on a normal sata disk to see if windows will see the array in disk management, it doesnt, but does show the raid card as installed in device manager.

also tried caddying the SSDs and making sure they are ok, then setting them to GPT and rebuilding the raid again.

any ideas as to why I cant see the RAID volume anywhere? i am totally stuck!!!

thanks.

3 fucking way raid 0 on ssd? holy fucking shit. well, when i put ssd in my system bios detected it, but not windows. what ended up working was putting hotplug enabled in bios. so try that if you can

dont have that option unfortunatly :'( thanks for the suggestion though

Have you created the virtual disk after connecting the drives and selecting RAID mode ?

went into the Asus RAID Menu with ctrl+f and created the disk, whether there is another menu I am missing? the volume "raid0" shows up as a drive in the BIOS, not as individual drives which i thought was a good sign

8.1 and yer ive tried that driver, windows installer takes it, but then shows no drives on the next screen. and a windows install doesnt see the drive under disk management either :(

2 hours ago, raindownhell said:

8.1 and yer ive tried that driver, windows installer takes it, but then shows no drives on the next screen. and a windows install doesnt see the drive under disk management either :(

sure the raid card works properly?

can you see all three drives if no raid is enabled?

It's not a race to the bottom.

try using a Linux live distro and see if that sees your RAID array

the fact that you can create the matrix using the built in utility but disk management nor device manager sees it is rather odd

you could also use NTLite to inject the RAID driver in the W8.1 install kitt: https://www.ntlite.com/download/

all the drives show up when raid is disabled. and when i booted partitionmagic I could see the 3 separate drives - this was before i recreated the raid though. haven't tried it since

19 minutes ago, raindownhell said:

all the drives show up when raid is disabled. and when i booted partitionmagic I could see the 3 separate drives - this was before i recreated the raid though. haven't tried it since

if you saw 3 separate drives, then the matrix was not created

delete it and create it again

59 minutes ago, raindownhell said:

tried recreating the raid again, they are visible in windows as individual drives, but as soon as I raid them, it wont show up. still states functional in the Raid setup. checked my steps in the following guide: http://www.corsair.com/media/cms/applicationnote/raid0-amd.pdf

if you are running Windows, from another drive I presume, are you able to install AMD's own windows RAID utility? http://www2.ati.com/drivers/radeon-crimson-15.12-raidxpert-utility-win10-win8.1-win7-64bit.exe

try creating the matrix using that

here's the guide for it: http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/AMD_RAIDXpert_User_v2.1.pdf

the RAID0 is to be the boot drive so couldnt do it that way :( only installed OS to a spare disk to see whether the SSDs were getting picked up in windows

2 minutes ago, raindownhell said:

the RAID0 is to be the boot drive so couldnt do it that way :( only installed OS to a spare disk to see whether the SSDs were getting picked up in windows

does not matter

the new matrix you create with that utility should be usable as a boot drive

but how can i set up the raid on the drives after installing the OS on them? its back to front

Just now, raindownhell said:

but how can i set up the raid on the drives after installing the OS on them? its back to front

I don't understand

you said you installed windows on another drive, I suppose other than the 3 you tried to raid together 

you boot to windows, install that utility, create the matrix, reboot and see if the matrix sticks - this should also verifiable via the BIOS based utility

remove the extra test drive, then you try to install windows on the matrix

i think i may have cracked it! just happened to put samsung magician on the test disk to see if that could see all 3 drives and one drive had the previous version firmware on! my fault for not checking, assumed 3 new ones would all be the same :/ windows it trying to install to it now, will report back if it works. fingers crossed :) zMeul, i will use that util for the 2nd array if the OS is successful.

cheers

working after the Firmware upgrade and raid rebuild. thanks to all for the advice.

am now loving 700gb of 1200mb/s SSD for much less $$ than an m.2 :)