Gaming PC Build

Hi there. It's kinda obvious I need advice on building a rig.

Here's the thing - I have ZERO experience in building computers. So please, go easy on me.

This is what I want:

1. An i7 5960X - I watched a couple benchmarks and it kinda looks like the 6700K is sorta better and cheaper but I want the extra cores (courtesy: vulkan)

2. 32GB of DDR4 running at 2133MHz

3. Two separate M.2 PCIe cards (preferably a 400-512GB module for Windows and a 64-128GB module for Ubuntu) and two SSD drives (preferably a 1TB drive for Windows - lots of projects - and a 256GB drive for Ubuntu - not as many projects)

4. The Fury X AND the 980Ti (yes, in the same machine because I wanna make use of DX12's EMA)

Where do I need help?

1. Is that graphic card setup a good idea? Or should I just stick with a dual CrossFire or SLI? I'd love to work with the techs (Mantle, PhysX, etc.) both vendors provide without having to use two separate machines. Plus, which would make a better primary card (I need to decide on whether I want a G-sync or FreeSync monitor)?

2. I've seen only a few images showing asymmetric (AMD + NVIDIA) card setups and in all of them, the cards are on alternate lanes. Is that necessary? Also, will the system see the cards as separate or a single graphics powerhouse?

3. I have no clue when it comes to choosing PSUs and cases! I'd like a full tower cabin which can house all that machinery plus allow room for future additions and also, for wires and liquid coolers on the 980Ti and the processor. As for the PSU, I need it to power liquid coolers, two cards and lots of other stuff. I don't know how I should choose one based on power requirements.

4. I couldn't differentiate between PCIe and SATA M.2 modules... So guys, model names, numbers and links please (I want PCIe modules)

5. If there's anything else I should be worried about, tell me please

Edited by Vlence
Fixed tag and added small corrections

If you already know what parts you want, you can build a part list yourself on pcpartpicker.com. Just find a case you like and maybe a H100i if you want water-cooling.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

3 minutes ago, ToniBamboni said:

If you already know what parts you want, you can build a part list yourself on pcpartpicker.com. Just find a case you like and maybe a H100i if you want water-cooling.

Thanks for your input.

I know what I want well enough.

What I don't know is if it's a good idea and if it is, what other considerations I should make.