Windows 10 Student Edition

TOBuilDORNoTTOBuilD

I've ordered a new pc build and the os i am intending to use is the Windows 10 Student Edition, which i got free since i am a student.Is it gonna be okay-it will work normally as buyed Windows.Is anything gonna be different from using Windows Home or Pro according to features or sth?

CD is the most compatible method, but very slow.

USB is amazingly fast if you have a nice fast one (actual 25MB/s read speed or faster. Of course, faster is better).

On your new computer (for anyone: this applies to Windows 8 and 10. Windows 7 does not fully support UEFI), be sure to enable in your BIOS/UEFI that CSM is disabled (CSM is compatibility mode for old non-supported UEFI hardware, it basically emulates the old BIOS system, disabling all benefits of UEFI. Also, this option is needed for Windows 7 and earlier and any other OS that doesn't fully support UEFI). Do this before installing Windows. This cannot be changed after.

As all UEFI are different, also, again before installing Windows, that you make sure that no legacy modes of the UEFI is enabled if they are any. (It is fine for USB). Enable Fast Boot after Windows is installed. Fast Boot boots the startup system process so fast, that you are not fast enougth to hit any key to access the UEFI setup screen or even pick a boot drive. Usually, motherboards have a button to turn on the system and go directly to the UEFI. They also have a Windows program to allow you to reboot the system and go to the UEFI, or you can do it from Windows 8/10.

In the screen to select which device you want the system to boot (so that you pick your USB flash drive to install Windows), if you have the 2 option, one with "EFI" in the name, and one without (or "Legacy"), pick "EFI".

Be sure your USB flash drive is formatted as FAT32. Use one of many free ISO to USB flash drive software like Rufus.

10 hours ago, gFrenken97 said:

Windows 10 Education is the most complete version of Windows 10, much better than Home or Pro, it's similar to Windows 10 Enterprise.

Hey do you know if I can do a clean install from no OS to Windows 10 Education because I'm getting that version from a college friend for free and from what I hear, you need another version (home or pro) becasue they dont give you a product key?

10 hours ago, TOBuilDORNoTTOBuilD said:

I've ordered a new pc build and the os i am intending to use is the Windows 10 Student Edition, which i got free since i am a student.Is it gonna be okay-it will work normally as buyed Windows.Is anything gonna be different from using Windows Home or Pro according to features or sth?

Did they give you a product key for it or just a iso?But Dont you need the product key to activate the windows?

UEFI can only boot from FAT32 drives. If you want to boot to NTFS or something else, then you need to disable UEFI, and enable CSM, But now you loose fast boot, and other UEFI features. For what you are trying to do, there is no benefits over anything else than FAT32.

So yes, it is a downside of UEFI.

Something else I forgot to mention, many UEFI system only likes 8GB partitions. I don't know why, it should not have this limitation, but some system do. But I expect a modern system of 2015-2016, from a good motherboard manufacture, to not have this limitation. Making a 8GB partition on a USB flash drive is a bit of a pain.

4 hours ago, TOBuilDORNoTTOBuilD said:

it should look like this? photo uploaded below...

rufus.jpg

Change MBR to GPT (UEFI drop support of MBR in support of the new GPT (BIOS does not support GPT)

And change "Create bootable disk using" to "ISO Image"