Rads to put into Define R5

Getting a new case for my upgrade system is going to be the Define R5. Looking at the rad space it has I'm glad I'm gonna get this.  But what I have already from my old loop I just took out for cleaning is a 240 and 140. This case can fit them and I was wanting to get a 240 for the front. Yes I am keeping the 3 drive cage for my HDDs and the 5.25 bays will be staying as well cause I have a dual bay res.  What this will be cooling is my 4690K and 980 Ti, they will be overclocked.  So will have a 240 on top, 240 in the front and putting the 140 in the rear be good for this build?

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

1 minute ago, Ninja_Commander said:

Getting a new case for my upgrade system is going to be the Define R5. Looking at the rad space it has I'm glad I'm gonna get this.  But what I have already from my old loop I just took out for cleaning is a 240 and 140. This case can fit them and I was wanting to get a 240 for the front. Yes I am keeping the 3 drive cage for my HDDs and the 5.25 bays will be staying as well cause I have a dual bay res.  What this will be cooling is my 4690K and 980 Ti, they will be overclocked.  So will have a 240 on top, 240 in the front and putting the 140 in the rear be good for this build?

For a single CPU and GPU a dual 240mm rad setup would be good even with overclocking adding another 140mm in the rear would be nice but it may run into clearance issues with the top rad.

If you can ideally longer rads tend to do better so a singel 360mm in the top would be a good option if you were to not use a bay res.

If you're thinking of putting the 240 rad in the front, you're definitely not going to be able to keep your HDD cages. 

Source: have an R5. I put a 280mm in the front as intake, and a 140 in the back as exhaust. Nothing in the top as I put things on the top of my case. No room for HDD cages.

IMG_20160213_234650.jpg

edit: wow, I really hate how the flash makes my motherboard look brown. lol

Edited by shibbs

My rads are 30mm thick and judging from your picture, looks to be 45mm thick.

If you put the 240 on top, you might want to have the inlet/outlet facing the rear since that may cause clearance issue with the 5.25in Bay.

A 240 rad is enough to cool your components, since the general rule of thumb is to have a 120 rad per item you are cooling.

What you might want to consider, since your reservoir in the 5.25in bay....is keeping your 5 drive bay cage...and putting a 240 rad on the bottom of the case...but keep in mind the PSU might give you clearance issues as well depending on how long it is. 

1 hour ago, Ninja_Commander said:

Even at 30mm you will not be able to mount a rad in the front and keep the drive cages. The cages must be removed for rad installation and once installed there is no way to put the cages back in place. You can move one to the bottom of the case near the power supply if you must. 

Take a look at the manual (page 30 shows a front installed rad): http://support.fractal-design.com/support/solutions/articles/4000038729-define-r5-product-manual

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

5 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

Even at 30mm you will not be able to mount a rad in the front and keep the drive cages. The cages must be removed for rad installation and once installed there is no way to put the cages back in place. You can move one to the bottom of the case near the power supply if you must. 

Take a look at the manual (page 30 shows a front installed rad): http://support.fractal-design.com/support/solutions/articles/4000038729-define-r5-product-manual

The setup would need to have the drive cage shifted back to allow for a front rad setup,  this will give the extra room needed:

define-r5-review-05.jpg

There are alternate mounting holes on the bottom of the case for the front drive cage, and it doesn't have to go very far back. Also, as long as the front radiator is less than 322mm tall, you can fit a 280 in there. 

IMG_0442.1.jpg

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

Thats what I saw in that I could move the cage to make the rad fit. I saw that work when I saw Paul's Hardware do it on his build for the Arctic Panther.  That why I was thinking the 240 rad in the front might work along with keeping the 3 drive cage.

Well It looks like I might have to just install the 140 in the front instead of the rear. Oh well thing happen. But I'm gonna get the case and see how its like once I get it. Give it a test fit with the rad.

3 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

Well It looks like I might have to just install the 140 in the front instead of the rear. Oh well thing happen. But I'm gonna get the case and see how its like once I get it. Give it a test fit with the rad.

Why only the 140 in the front?

Here's a Nepton 280 in the front, which is 311mm tall. My Nemesis 280GTS is 312mm.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/xNVYcf

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

I don't think that is possible...I have a 360 rad at 45mmn thickness....and using both orientation where the inlet/outlet was near the near and the front of the case and there was an issue.

With the inlet facing the front of the case, I was able to install a 140mm fan but nothing more...and with the inlet/outlet near facing the rear, it prevents any fans to be installed.