Next language while in college?

I've been thinking lately, I'm in college taking my Intro to Python class and they have me down for C++ later on like intro and then advanced C++, is C++ going to help me out the most in the long run, I mean I know its certainly not a terrible choice? I know I can self learn new languages, but its nice to actually be in a classroom to learn new languages.  I mean I really like python and one of my teachers said it was his favorite above all the others, well he also said the Java was annoying lol

5 minutes ago, derrickd241 said:

I've been thinking lately, I'm in college taking my Intro to Python class and they have me down for C++ later on like intro and then advanced C++, is C++ going to help me out the most in the long run, I mean I know its certainly not a terrible choice? I know I can self learn new languages, but its nice to actually be in a classroom to learn new languages.  I mean I really like python and one of my teachers said it was his favorite above all the others, well he also said the Java was annoying lol

C++ is one of the most used and flexible languages , but it usually requires more code than python to do the same thing ( for example , defining variables)

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

French!-oh. I'd say C++ if you can. Java is all VM-based-or-something-like-that. C++ doesn't need any .NET libraries, although it is a LOT more in-depth than normal C variants.

C++ is a good option.

I'm currently in a Java class and I wish we had a C++ class honestly.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

im not a developer but from what ive seen C++ is pretty damn common (pretty sure they use it somewhere in android but don't quote me on that) if you where looking for one to do after maybe HTML5? agin though im not a dev so take my suggestions with a pinch of salt :P

I lurk a lot

C++ is a fantastic language to learn, it offers a large amount of flexibility. It is also still an actively developed language that's bringing many features and improvements of more modern languages. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Just now, derrickd241 said:

What about just plain ol' C?

IMO there is no point of learning C since you learn C while you learn C++. C++ exists so there's no point in "downgrading". 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

11 minutes ago, derrickd241 said:

What about just plain ol' C?

C isn't object oriented and has less functionality compared to C++.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

• 2 weeks later...

C# is widely used in industry right now if you are into the .NET framework, its easy to learn if you are experienced in Java and Python already as it too is very Object Oriented

C++ is a really powerful language although is not the easiest one to learn.

On 24/2/2016 at 9:01 PM, peej said:

im not a developer but from what ive seen C++ is pretty damn common (pretty sure they use it somewhere in android but don't quote me on that) if you where looking for one to do after maybe HTML5? agin though im not a dev so take my suggestions with a pinch of salt :P

Android is written mainly in C/C++ except for really high level stuff, and you can code Android apps in C++ using the NDK (but Google suggests not to do that unless it's really necessary).

And HTML is not a programming langauge, it's just markup I don't think is what he's looking for.