AMD Athlon X4 860K Temps with CM Evo TX3

Wreighn
Go to solution Solved by KeltonDSMer,
7 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

snip

Wow, you did that super fast and even made a video! Looks great, obviously if temps were actually too high the chip would thermal throttle and not sustain those boost frequencies. You have lots of thermal margin, 35+degC from Tmax is certainly nothing to worry about:).

Edit: Nice cooler setup too BTW, only increasing 10-15C from idle to load under A64 seems great

Hi,

I have the AMD athlon x4 860k cpu, and with its stock cooler its really been running hot, so I bought and installed the cooler master evo tx3 cooler, and 4 more case fans.

Previously I've concluded that the cpu temperatures can't surely be as high as >100c with my pc still running flawlessly, so I dismissed the readings as faulty temp sensors. Still, the case was getting really hot, so I bought a new cooler.

Using HeavyLoad I bumped up my CPU usage to 100%, and checked the temps with various apps. These are the results:

gWPqTcd.png

The newer version of core temp seems to be broken, and stuck at 16. The previous one was showing 39 under load.

All of the readings seem wrong, and none of them close to reality. If anyone could give me their opinion on this, and a guess of the true temperature, I would really appreciate it (the CPU is not overclocked).

What worries me is that a few minutes after running the test the first time with the older CoreTemp, I got a BSOD SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE. That however did not happen after the second test with the broken coretemp (I doubt its coretemps fault cause I used it before without any issues). Can anyone tell me what the error is about, and should I be worried?

Download the Aida 64 trial. It is more accurate. I had the previous 760k before yours and the main problem was most software suites didnt support the processor and always game me faulty readings.

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

41 minutes ago, S7117 said:

Download the Aida 64 trial. It is more accurate. I had the previous 760k before yours and the main problem was most software suites didnt support the processor and always game me faulty readings.

Under load:

y7AXgr6.png

Idle:

K5py0Hd.png

They hang around 10.

Looks to good to be true :(

I don't think these measurements are correct either.

57 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

snip

When setting up my bro's 7850k system, no monitoring software was reading the correct temps except AMD Overdrive. Was reading way too hot in all other software despite turbo-ing to max frequencies and performing as expected.

Try using Overdrive to monitor temps:)

21 minutes ago, KeltonDSMer said:

When setting up my bro's 7850k system, no monitoring software was reading the correct temps except AMD Overdrive. Was reading way too hot in all other software despite turbo-ing to max frequencies and performing as expected.

Try using Overdrive to monitor temps:)

I downloaded Overdrive, and ran an AIDA64 stability test to put the CPU under load. These are the results:

Looks realistic enough to me.

What do you think?

7 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

snip

Wow, you did that super fast and even made a video! Looks great, obviously if temps were actually too high the chip would thermal throttle and not sustain those boost frequencies. You have lots of thermal margin, 35+degC from Tmax is certainly nothing to worry about:).

Edit: Nice cooler setup too BTW, only increasing 10-15C from idle to load under A64 seems great

2 minutes ago, KeltonDSMer said:

Thanks for your help :)

2 minutes ago, Wreighn said:

Thanks for your help :)

You're welcome. I am not sure about the BSOD, that is a little concerning, but at least you can be fairly confident the chip is in fact operating at reasonable temps. No doubt if it actually was hitting >90c it would pull core voltage/frequency and/or shut down all together to save itself.