GHz speed

Go to solution Solved by Mixzzz,
1 minute ago, Assassin56 said:

I have a amd FX 8350 cpu in my new desktop. it is supposed to run up to 4 GHz and its running at 1.32. how do i increase the GHz speed. 

It's in idle...When you put on some load it will ramp up to 4.0GHz(4.2GHz if you turbo enabled)

I have a amd FX 8350 cpu in my new desktop. it is supposed to run up to 4 GHz and its running at 1.32. how do i increase the GHz speed. 

1 minute ago, Assassin56 said:

It's in idle...When you put on some load it will ramp up to 4.0GHz(4.2GHz if you turbo enabled)

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

What speed does it run at if you put it under load? It won't run at 4GHz all the time in order to save power. 

EDIT: Also, what are you using to measure the speed?

It's probably got the equivalent of Intel's speedstep where the CPU will run slower if it's idle and such. 

Go into BIOS and disable the power saving option for the CPU.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

It run on 1.32GHz under full load or on the desktop if you look at CPU-Z or something like that?

A modern CPU run only on the full speed if it have to, to reduce power consumption and heat.

EDIT: Or not if you disable this neat feture in the BIOS

It's called Cool'n'Quiet.  So go into BIOS under CPU options and disable Cool'n'Quiet.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It's probably got the equivalent of Intel's speedstep where the CPU will run slower if it's idle and such. 

Go into BIOS and disable the power saving option for the CPU.

Why are you giving this stupid advice? Why should he disable the power saving option? The CPU goes to 4GHz when needed and goes to 1.3GHz when in idle to save power and your $$$

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

Just now, Mixzzz said:

Why are you giving this stupid advice? Why should he disable the power saving option? The CPU goes to 4GHz when needed and saves you power and $$$

Not to mention strain on the processor itself; even Usain Bolt needs a break every once in awhile. It is definitely not recommended for everyday use.

thank you to those who replied. it was in idle. i am new to the software part of computers. thank you for your help

Just now, Mixzzz said:

Why are you giving this stupid advice? Why should he disable the power saving option? The CPU goes to 4GHz when needed and saves you power and $$$

Yeah, it's really stupid to actually have your computer run at full speed.

Some people actually use their PC's and don't want garbage power saving options determining how fast their CPU can run and overall hindering performance.

Now you may be (and probably are correct) that the poster is a basic user who would be better off with power saving mode, but the poster asked how to do something and I gave them the answer.

5 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Not to mention strain on the processor itself; even Usain Bolt needs a break every once in awhile. It is definitely not recommended for everyday use.

It's not going to add excess strain the processor.  You could turn off cool'n'quiet and leave your computer on for four years and the processor is still going to run fine.

Did CPU's just crap out when they used to run at max all the time before speedstep? No.

Mind you I don't leave my system on when I'm not using it, but in my lifetime I have never had a single CPU crap out on me or even show any signs of deprecation after years of use without speedstep/cool'n'quiet(also overclocked).  It's nothing more than a power saving feature.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It's not going to add excess strain the processor.  You could turn off cool'n'quiet and leave your computer on for four years and the processor is still going to run fine.

Did CPU's just crap out when they used to run at max all the time before speedstep? No.

Mind you I don't leave my system on when I'm not using it, but in my lifetime I have never had a single CPU crap out on me or even show any signs of deprecation after years of use without speedstep/cool'n'quiet(also overclocked).  It's nothing more than a power saving feature.

Touche, though my only point was why run the processor at max speed when it doesn't have to? I guess strain wasn't the right word to use there. I know it won't kill it or anything, but now that we have the tech to scale back the speed when idle it's just considered best to utilize it. But your point is still valid.

5 minutes ago, Stylized_Violence said:

Touche, though my only point was why run the processor at max speed when it doesn't have to? I guess strain wasn't the right word to use there. I know it won't kill it or anything, but now that we have the tech to scale back the speed when idle it's just considered best to utilize it. But your point is still valid.

I wasn't really trying to argue, because using the power saving feature is the best course of action for likely at least 90% of users.  The OP literally asked how to run his processor at it's labeled speed, so I told him and then I was told(not by you) that telling him how to do this was "Stupid advice" when it was neither stupid or advice.

When I get on my computer it's to either work with/render video or to play a game and with overclocked watercooled components, I just do not need my cpu to scale down it's speed.  I've had OC issues with speedstep in the past and disabling it keeps a steady draw of power to the CPU keeping it more stable at higher speeds.