My Build plan. Need some help

Hello.

The computer i want to build, is going to be used for game development and 3d rendering. I am using Unity3d. 3dsMax etc. Once in a while i will be using the computer for gaming, such as Grand Theft Auto 5, Mad Max etc.

Just need to be sure before i buy. I've tried to match the parts, to the individuals performance. So like the CPU performance matches the GPU, and so on.

The computer

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MattNielsen/saved/zCC7YJ

Please let me know what you think of it.

Can't overclock the 4790K without a Z97 motherboard.

The R9 380 would be the better choice in gaming, unless the GTX 960 will be used for CUDA.

Change out the PSU to a SeaSonic/XFX 500W one.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

That gpu won't run GTAV very well just saying. It's a decent cpu oriented budget build though. Looks good though otherwise :)

6 minutes ago, MattGC said:

Hello.

The computer i want to build, is going to be used for game development and 3d rendering. I am using Unity3d. 3dsMax etc. Once in a while i will be using the computer for gaming, such as Grand Theft Auto 5, Mad Max etc.

Just need to be sure before i buy. I've tried to match the parts, to the individuals performance. So like the CPU performance matches the GPU, and so on.

The computer

If you can stretch your budget a bit, you should get a GTX 970 or R9 390. If you can't do that, get the R9 380X instead of the 960, unless it will be used for CUDA. 

That PSU is bad, get this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1500bxtfr

You cannot overclock with that motherboard, get this one instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-fatal1tyz97killer

Your GPU is underpower compared with your CPU, I'd get:

• R9 380 or R9 380x if you don't need CUDA but it has to cost about the same as a GTX 960
  • R9 390 if you can spend a little more and you don't need CUDA 
  • GTX 970 if you can spend more but you need CUDA

An SSD is also something that is very important you missed out. I'd get either an AData SP550, Samsung 850evo or a Crucial BX100 in 240GB or larger.

12 minutes ago, MattGC said:

Hello.

The computer

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($17.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($303.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $984.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-21 06:23 EST-0500

This build should give you a lot better gaming performance. You could swap the R9 390 for the GTX 970 if you need the CUDA cores.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($314.00 @ Newegg) 

I chose the E3-1231 v3, because it's basically an i7-4770 without iGPU, so it offers fantastic value. The SSD should also come in super handy.

41 minutes ago, tataklee said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($244.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($17.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($303.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $984.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-21 06:23 EST-0500

This build should give you a lot better gaming performance. You could swap the R9 390 for the GTX 970 if you need the CUDA cores.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($314.00 @ Newegg) 

I chose the E3-1231 v3, because it's basically an i7-4770 without iGPU, so it offers fantastic value. The SSD should also come in super handy.

Z97 chipset motherboard is really unnecessary. This sytem will work the same with H81 or B85. Maybe you chose that for better RAM clock speeds. Overall, really good build for the money.

Just now, Tautedorus said:

Z97 chipset motherboard is really unnecessary. This sytem will work the same with H81 or B85. Overall, really good build for the money.

Yeah, but it's only 80 bucks and decent quality, won't get a lot better value from H81 or B85 boards. Furthermore it allows the use of higher clocked memory, which again probably isn't gonna do much, but it still certainly won't hurt. Fair point, though.