Unstable load temps 5960x

Go to solution Solved by ClownFace1511,

Alright I worked out the problem. Intel xtu doesn't stress your CPU 100%. It jumps from 98% to 100% which causes the changes in temps so rapidly. Running a stress test through aida64 gives me a straighter line. The end increased a bit due to me turning on cache stress. 

IKA8tzs.jpg

Hey guys,

Just doing some over clocking on my 5960x and wanted some advice. I'm running it at 4.6ghz on 1.25v stressing it using Intel xtu. I get these weird fluctuations in temps according to MSI afterburner. Here's a pic.

eQbCsGg.jpg

It changes from 68-75c every few seconds and I'm not sure is this is normal. Its not thermal throttling or anything. I have replaced the thermal paste  4 times now only to get the same thing. I'm using articmx-4 thermal paste and an EK water block for x99 if that helps. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.

Thanks.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

10 minutes ago, ClownFace1511 said:

----

If I had to explain that, I would say your CPU goes to 75 degrees which causes the fans to run faster as they don't want it going above that temp, so it cools down and then the fans slow down and so on.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

1 minute ago, Aleksbgbg said:

If I had to explain that, I would say your CPU goes to 75 degrees which causes the fans to run faster as they don't want it going above that temp, so it cools down and then the fans slow down and so on.

Fans are set to a certain rpm. They don't rev up.

Just now, ClownFace1511 said:

Fans are set to a certain rpm. They don't rev up.

Well in that case maybe it simply doesn't produce enough heat to go above 75 degrees or something, but I wouldn't worry about it :)

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Try using a different stress test like Aida64 and see what happens? Other than that, all i can imagine is happening is that the processor is auto adjusting its voltage or clock speed in order to bring the temps down. Make sure that you havent set a thermal limit by accident.

Aida64 isn't getting readings that bad, its more stable. It might just be afterburner. Still seems odd though.

Alright I worked out the problem. Intel xtu doesn't stress your CPU 100%. It jumps from 98% to 100% which causes the changes in temps so rapidly. Running a stress test through aida64 gives me a straighter line. The end increased a bit due to me turning on cache stress. 

IKA8tzs.jpg