Cheap VM server thing?

Tmt97

I could use some advice. I'm trying to come up with a build that can run 4 VMs capable of basic desktop applications, web browsing, checking emails, ect... Not gaming or anything like that. I was thinking of doing something like  cross between Linus's $150 budget 8 core CPU/Motherboard build, and his 7 gamers 1 cpu build. Think that's feasible? Can I do it for relatively cheap? What should I do for video cards? Any other thoughts?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, peej said:

budget?

Well I have no idea what this would cost lol. xD I'd like to keep it cheap as possible, but I'm not completely sure whats realistic for this, hence why I didn't give a budget. I'm open to buying used parts if that helps.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

Well I have no idea what this would cost lol. xD I'd like to keep it cheap as possible, but I'm not completely sure whats realistic for this, hence why I didn't give a budget. I'm open to buying used parts if that helps.

your not fussed if AMD or Intel CPU either? ill try throw a pc part picker list together 

I lurk a lot

Just now, peej said:

your not fussed if AMD or Intel CPU either? ill try throw a pc part picker list together 

Nope, AMD is fine lol.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

11 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

I could use some advice. I'm trying to come up with a build that can run 4 VMs capable of basic desktop applications, web browsing, checking emails, ect... Not gaming or anything like that. I was thinking of doing something like  cross between Linus's $150 budget 8 core CPU/Motherboard build, and his 7 gamers 1 cpu build. Think that's feasible? Can I do it for relatively cheap? What should I do for video cards? Any other thoughts?

With that kind of build grab a FX-8370/8350 and 32GB of RAM and you're off to the races.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

With that kind of build grab a FX-8370/8350 and 32GB of RAM and you're off to the races.

So you don't think the budget dual xeon thing Linus did would help? Like I said, I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. Also, I'm probably going for 16gigs of ram. Like I said each VM is for email, web browsing, maybe using Word. Nothing that needs 8 gigs.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

So you don't think the budget dual xeon thing Linus did would help? Like I said, I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. Also, I'm probably going for 16gigs of ram. Like I said each VM is for email, web browsing, maybe using Word. Nothing that needs 8 gigs.

Well 4 machines using 4GB each would be 16GB but then your original system has no memory.  So you'd have to limit each VM to 3GB each (which I guess is enough but like...  meehh).  And I don't know of any cheaper way to get as good of performance out of a sub $400 setup.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, Tmt97 said:

dule xeons for email lol youd do fine with an 8 core AMD 32gb of ram (to be on the safe side) and a couple of 750ti's at most probably like $800 ish if you wanted evething new 

I lurk a lot

For your needs you can get by with a $300 budget. Go grab a Dell CS-24 off eBay for ~$200 (less depending on the drives) and any cheap video card(s) and you're good to go. You can even skip the video cards if you don't mind using a thin client like a Raspberry Pi or something cheap.

If $300 is too high for you then I'd recommend grabbing 4 VPSs for a few dollars a year (more if you need to have Windows) and do it that way.

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, peej said:

dule xeons for email lol youd do fine with an 8 core AMD 32gb of ram (to be on the safe side) and a couple of 750ti's at most probably like $800 ish if you wanted evething new 

When I said dual xeons I meant this:

8 core AMD is $130 on its own without the motherboard. Something like this is $150 for both.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

When I said dual xeons I meant this:

8 core AMD is $130 on its own without the motherboard. Something like this is $150 for both.

oh oh oh okay yeah i thought you were on about 8 gamers 1 cpu (cough 2) style 

I lurk a lot

You may need a larger ssd. Don't bother with discreet gpu if gaming is not involved.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS/CSM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Directron)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($43.26 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $796.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-20 22:25 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

27 minutes ago, brob said:

You may need a larger ssd. Don't bother with discreet gpu if gaming is not involved.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS/CSM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Directron)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($43.26 @ Mac Mall)
Total: $796.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-20 22:25 EST-0500

Holy shit dude xD $796? It was mentioned above that I could get an 8 core AMD cpu for $130, and if I went the intel route I could get used dual quad core xeons and a motherboard for $120, but your suggesting a cpu for $329??? Then 32gigs of ram(8 gigs per person)? And a SSD for over $100? You did read my post in which I explained that this needs to be a budget build and each VM would only be used for web browsing, checking email, and maybe word processing right? Please explain yourself lol. If you really think I need this expensive of hardware to do such simple tasks then I'd really like to know why, because it might seriously change my plans if your right.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4 hours ago, Tmt97 said:

Holy shit dude xD $796? It was mentioned above that I could get an 8 core AMD cpu for $130, and if I went the intel route I could get used dual quad core xeons and a motherboard for $120, but your suggesting a cpu for $329??? Then 32gigs of ram(8 gigs per person)? And a SSD for over $100? You did read my post in which I explained that this needs to be a budget build and each VM would only be used for web browsing, checking email, and maybe word processing right? Please explain yourself lol. If you really think I need this expensive of hardware to do such simple tasks then I'd really like to know why, because it might seriously change my plans if your right.

I did read the OP. I just think it is unrealistic to expect to build a usable system based on the outline. CPU is rarely a bottleneck in vm environments, especially as described in the OP. In fact I suspect that the i7 could be dropped to an i5 without significantly impacting the user experience. The true bottlenecks tend to be memory and storage bandwidth. I know 32GB is overkill. (But it is not 8GB per vm. One does have to allow a certain amount of memory for the supervisor environment.) The problem is that 16GB is, IMO borderline. What I suggested works out to less than $200 per vm. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

What you might do is setup some vm on your desktop. See what performance is like.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.