SSD not working at full speed

Hello,

I just bought my self a new SSD to improve my PC-s speed but when it comes to testing it it seems that the results are inconsistent and less then advertised. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Education 64Bit and tested it with crystal mark. 

Sometimes it even drops to reads from 200 to 300 instead of 400 i usually get. On the Patriot web site it is advertised that it should do 570/540 speeds but I am not getting more then 495/475 on seq and 555/500 on seq 32. A friend of mine has a Samsung 850Evo and his 4K scores are about 100 more then mine,is that normal? But mine seq q32Ti are higher then his. 

Can some one help me configure it so it can run faster if that is even possible and can some one explain to me what seq,4k and q32ti mean?

Also there is a marvel controller on my board. I hooked up the SSD on the regular sata port not on the one that uses marvel controller dont know if that would make any difference since they are both sata6.

Someone told me that the cable can be the problem, I am using one of those old pink ones.

Here are my PC specs:
CPU AMD FX8120 

MB Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

RAM Patriot Viper 2X4gb 1866mhz ( running at 1600mhz )

SSD Patrot Blast 480

HDD WD Blue 1Tb 

PSU Corsair CX750M

GPU Sapphire R9 280X Toxic

aa.png

aw.png

6 minutes ago, TranceOpium said:

Hello,

I just bought my self a new SSD to improve my PC-s speed but when it comes to testing it it seems that the results are inconsistent and less then advertised. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 Education 64Bit and tested it with crystal mark. 

Sometimes it even drops to reads from 200 to 300 instead of 400 i usually get. On the Patriot web site it is advertised that it should do 570/540 speeds but I am not getting more then 495/475 on seq and 555/500 on seq 32. A friend of mine has a Samsung 850Evo and his 4K scores are about 100 more then mine,is that normal? But mine seq q32Ti are higher then his. 

Can some one help me configure it so it can run faster if that is even possible and can some one explain to me what seq,4k and q32ti mean?

Also there is a marvel controller on my board. I hooked up the SSD on the regular sata port not on the one that uses marvel controller dont know if that would make any difference since they are both sata6.

Someone told me that the cable can be the problem, I am using one of those old pink ones.

Here are my PC specs:
CPU AMD FX8120 

MB Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5

RAM Patriot Viper 2X4gb 1866mhz ( running at 1600mhz )

SSD Patrot Blast 480

HDD WD Blue 1Tb 

PSU Corsair CX750M

GPU Sapphire R9 280X Toxic

aa.png

aw.png

Well, i am no SSD expert but SATA3 won't give you blazing fast speeds. It tops out around 550-600 MB/S (maybe it's mbp/s)

There are no differences between SATA cables(all cables are the same regardless of the port it is being plugged into as long as it follows the SATA specification. There are no SATAI, II, or III cables on the market).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, LiquidGoo said:

Well, i am no SSD expert but SATA3 won't give you blazing fast speeds. It tops out around 550-600 MB/S (maybe it's mbp/s)

It's MB/s. Your original unit is correct. If it topped out at 550Mb/s, the MB value would be 68.75MB/s which would make the above screenshots downright impossible.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

There are no differences between SATA cables(all cables are the same regardless of the port it is being plugged into as long as it follows the SATA specification. There are no SATAI, II, or III cables on the market).

Regardless of the cables what can I do to get 570/540 speeds?

This is a score on my friends SSD on a intel platform. He has much higher 4k and stuff.How can I make mine work like that one?

12729013_1051762708208725_1570336799540670242_n.jpg

And I know its a dumb question but what does this seq q32 4k and all the rest mean?

Just now, TranceOpium said:

Regardless of the cables what can I do to get 570/540 speeds?

Considering there are different benchmarks out there, one might give different readings than the other and one thing to bear in mind is that they're all synthetic. You might achieve x speed in this benchmark, but y speed in another benchmark. That all being said, also try ATTO, which you can find here: https://www.attotech.com/disk-benchmark/

4 minutes ago, TranceOpium said:

And I know its a dumb question but what does this seq q32 4k and all the rest mean?

"Sequential: Crystal disk mark (CDM) reads/writes whatever file size you choose when you start the test sequentially. That is to say it starts writing on a sector and then writes the next part on the adjacent sector and so on. This is fastest because the head doesn't have to move about a lot as all the sectors are adjacent.

512k: CDM read/writes to random sectors on the drive, but it reads/writes 512KB of data at a random point, then moves to the next random point. This is faster than 4k because there's more data read/written with less movement of the head.

4k: The same as above but instead of reading/writing the test data in 512KB 'chunks' it reads/writes in 4KB chunks.

4kQD32: The same as 4K but there are more requests for the data sent to the HDD controller. I'm told that some HDDs increase performance when this happens because of the way their controller logic works but I think this mostly applies to SSDs not mechanical drives."

Source: Overclock forum

Edited by LiquidGoo
Added real source link.

Just now, LiquidGoo said:

Source: found this from a forum with Googling.

You may want to state a proper source. It makes you look bad to say that you found it with Googling only, as if the user could've just found this out with Googling. If possible, please replace this above text in the quote with a real source that the user can click on.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You may want to state a proper source. It makes you look bad to say that you found it with Googling only, as if the user could've just found this out with Googling. If possible, please replace this above text in the quote with a real source that the user can click on.

Okay, i will.

4 minutes ago, TranceOpium said:

This is a score on my friends SSD on a intel platform. He has much higher 4k and stuff.How can I make mine work like that one?

The numbers you are receiving are likely due to the limits of the hardware. You cannot do anything about the 4K speeds because your SSD manufacturer does not advertise them. Only sequential, and that's with a specific configuration.

5 minutes ago, TranceOpium said:

12729013_1051762708208725_1570336799540670242_n.jpg

is your friends ssd the same model? because of ACHI your limit will be aruond 500-600 mbytes/per sec

2 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

is your friends ssd the same model? because of ACHI your limit will be aruond 500-600 mbytes/per sec

His one is Samsung 850Evo

Ok another stupid question:
Will it make a change if I plug it in the on board marvel controller?

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The numbers you are receiving are likely due to the limits of the hardware. You cannot do anything about the 4K speeds because your SSD manufacturer does not advertise them. Only sequential, and that's with a specific configuration.

Is this good?

as.png

2 minutes ago, TranceOpium said:

Ok another stupid question:
Will it make a change if I plug it in the on board marvel controller?

A negative change maybe. The controller might be slower than the 990FX chipset.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Depends on the controller on the board.  Different slots might transfer data slower than others.  I'd suggest checking your mobo's manual.

It uses two Marvell 88SE9172 chips.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3891#sp

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Depends on the controller on the board.  Different slots might transfer data slower than others.  I'd suggest checking your mobo's manual.

I did that, it only says that 2 ports are marvel sata 6gb\s and 4 are controled by mb controler. My problem with this is that i have a long gpu that is a pain in the *** to take out that I need to take out every time if I wanna switch ports. 

I did that, it only says that 2 ports are marvel sata 6gb\s and 4 are controled by mb controler. My problem with this is that i have a long gpu that is a pain in the *** to take out that I need to take out every time if I wanna switch ports. 

It's not likely to be worth it.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

It's not likely to be worth it.

Thx man you just saved me allot of time. And is the graph of the new benchmark ok? I dont know how to properly read those.

Thx man you just saved me allot of time. And is the graph of the new benchmark ok? I dont know how to properly read those.

It is below the spec of the drive as advertised by Patriot. Can you find a review of the drive? I'm about to go drive and won't be able to.