Underclocking an FX 9590

Hello all! Just wanted to point out that I'm new on this forum but I have been watching Linus' videos for about 2 years now.

I am building a new computer here in a few months and I've decided to start planning it out now. But I've run in to a road block with my plan that I wanted some more experienced peoples' opinions on. 

My current systems main bottleneck is my CPU. I am running an AMD athlon II x4 620 at its standard clock of 2.6 GHz. I've not tried overlocking my cpu as its a pretty basic rig that I cant afford to screw up. 

In my next system build, I wanted to go with an 8 core AMD FX. I've always ran an AMD CPU and the fact that AMD is generally cheaper than Intel is whats attracting me to that. I was going to purchase my CPU ahead of the rest of the build, and plop it in my current system as an upgrade until I do the build months from now. 

Now here is the dilemma: My first choice of CPU was the AMD FX 8350. Its price/performance was spot on for my build. But after seeing the AMD FX 9590, I was second guessing the 8350. (the build i'm going for is a 4k gaming rig BTW) I figured in the long run the 9590 was the better option. Well the problem is in my current system, I dont have any cooling other than the stock fan that came with my old athlon, and the 9590 does not come with a cooler and it seems everyone recommends water cooling. (which my new build includes)

Basically my question to you all is: Is the 9590 more worthwhile for a 4k gaming rig? Am I able to get away with underclocking it to say 4GHz and use an old stock fan cooler until I do the build with the water cooler?

I can post my current system specs and my planned build specs if that would help. 

Anybody who can help me out?

Thanks!

-Bluehornet2297

3 minutes ago, Bluehornet2297 said:

Hello all! Just wanted to point out that I'm new on this forum but I have been watching Linus' videos for about 2 years now.

I am building a new computer here in a few months and I've decided to start planning it out now. But I've run in to a road block with my plan that I wanted some more experienced peoples' opinions on. 

My current systems main bottleneck is my CPU. I am running an AMD athlon II x4 620 at its standard clock of 2.6 GHz. I've not tried overlocking my cpu as its a pretty basic rig that I cant afford to screw up. 

In my next system build, I wanted to go with an 8 core AMD FX. I've always ran an AMD CPU and the fact that AMD is generally cheaper than Intel is whats attracting me to that. I was going to purchase my CPU ahead of the rest of the build, and plop it in my current system as an upgrade until I do the build months from now. 

Now here is the dilemma: My first choice of CPU was the AMD FX 8350. Its price/performance was spot on for my build. But after seeing the AMD FX 9590, I was second guessing the 8350. (the build i'm going for is a 4k gaming rig BTW) I figured in the long run the 9590 was the better option. Well the problem is in my current system, I dont have any cooling other than the stock fan that came with my old athlon, and the 9590 does not come with a cooler and it seems everyone recommends water cooling. (which my new build includes)

Basically my question to you all is: Is the 9590 more worthwhile for a 4k gaming rig? Am I able to get away with underclocking it to say 4GHz and use an old stock fan cooler until I do the build with the water cooler?

I can post my current system specs and my planned build specs if that would help. 

Thanks!

-Bluehornet2297

None. Get a 1231v3 or an i5.

@Bluehornet2297 I would either get an i5/7 because the FX series is so old now and outdated, It is coomparable to a low/mid range i5 So save up some more money and go intel if you are plnning on running at 4K :) 

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

8 minutes ago, Bluehornet2297 said:

Thanks!

-Bluehornet2297

There's no point of "upgrading" to the 9590, it's just OC'ed version of the 8350. Get an i5 4460 or if you want to OC get an i5 6500K/6600K

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

downclocking the 9590 will literally be the same thing as buying a 8320 and running it at stock (with the aforementioned settings) 

The 9590 is a terrible purchase - and so is any other AMD CPU at this point in the life cycle. 

A xeon/i5/i7 would be a way better option. 

A pretty dope Xeon build can give you like non-k i7 performance at i5 prices.