Value Ultrawide 34'??

benjaminho96

Hi, I'm currently using a GTX 970 as my main graphics card.
I'm looking for an ultrawide monitor to go with it, preferably a 34' 3440x1440 display. It will be used primarily for productivity and casual gaming (perhaps some DOTA2/SC2 but only on a casual level).
Looking at the current market, there is the LG 34UM95, the acer predator xr341, dell ultrasharp u3415w and samsung s34e790c. Some of these are curved and although i don't mind curved, if i can save upto 50$ by omitting the curvy-ness, im more than willing to do so. Obviously, being a casual gamer, splitting edge response times and 144 Hz is not a requirement, I'm just looking for a reasonably spec'd ultrawide with decent colours and a nice resolution/pixel density.
Would anyone like to give suggestions? value /bang for your buck would be appreciated.

Unfortunately that category will always have a hefty price tag. I'm not quite sure if there are any manufacturer's shipping VA panels on a 34" which would be a compromise between IPS & TN ofc but I'll post a link if I find one.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

If/Once you finally choose a selection which you've narrowed it down to like 2-3 decently priced & good looking monitor, check out this site if you want an in-depth review of pc monitors. https://pcmonitors.info/

They've recently updated their blog with the X34(1/75hz/100hz)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I picked the Dell U3415W. I believe the curve is worth it over a flat ultrawide. At 34", the corners of a flat panel seem to "fall away" to my eyes. The curve fixes that for me.

Monoprice is supposed to have a 34" ultrawide for $500 later this year.

AHVA is not a compromise. IT`s a type of IPS with better blacks and contrast. Acer XB270HU and ASUS PG279Q have VA panel. AUO will release to manufacturers 30 and 35 inch 3440x1440p@144hz AHVA panels this year. Samsung will be one of the first to use them in their monitors.

I have a LG 34UM95 and just had to return it for a replacement, way too much IPS glow. Doesn't just happen on LGs, I seen really bad glows even on the new predator x34.

I hope the replacement is good, it's a fucking awesome monitor. I saved over 200 on newegg by not getting the curve.

9 hours ago, Kompira said:

AHVA is not a compromise. IT`s a type of IPS with better blacks and contrast. Acer XB270HU and ASUS PG279Q have VA panel. AUO will release to manufacturers 30 and 35 inch 3440x1440p@144hz AHVA panels this year. Samsung will be one of the first to use them in their monitors.

Those asus and acer monitors use ips panels not a va panel not sure were you heard that from.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

2 hours ago, roctrebira said:

Those asus and acer monitors use ips panels not a va panel not sure were you heard that from.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

But I checked again news about the 30 and 35 inch AUO panels and they seem to be AMVA panels, not AHVA(the IPS type). IT looks like we are going to wait longer for 3440x1440p@144hz AHVA panels. Sorry for the confusion.

On 18/02/2016 at 2:38 PM, wng_kingsley7 said:

If/Once you finally choose a selection which you've narrowed it down to like 2-3 decently priced & good looking monitor, check out this site if you want an in-depth review of pc monitors. https://pcmonitors.info/

They've recently updated their blog with the X34(1/75hz/100hz)

Alright, ive so far narrowed it down to the LG 34UM95C-P and the AOC U3477PQU and will check out your link.