Windows 10 activation

TristanK

Hello,

I havent upgraded my Windows 8.1 license to Windows 10 yet. But I want to do that now so that if I ever want to use Windows 10 I have it in my inventory. I am currently running Windows 7pro and I have no intention of formatting my main rig to Windows 10. What I would like to do is use my copy of windows 8.1 in a virtual machine(vmWare workstation) and upgrade it there to windows 10 to get that free key. But I don't know if that will be ok. Do I have to activate the upgrade on the physical machine that i use and than only use it on that machine or can I upgrade it from windows 8.1 pro to 10 pro in virtual machine and than delete the virtual machine and when I need it install windows 10 on my main rig with that key that i upgraded on VM.

Please I need answers ASAP :)

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

You can get your Windows 10 by upgrading in a virtual machine. The only problem is, that your Windows 8.1 installation won't be valid anymore.

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

1 minute ago, Domifi said:

You can get your Windows 10 by upgrading in a virtual machine. The only problem is, that your Windows 8.1 installation won't be valid anymore.

so that would mean i can never use that key to activate windows 8.1 again?

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

Windows 10 stores the key in the bios. So I would think .. now I could be wrong but I would think you'll be okay to upgrade the 8.1 in the VM and then create restore media to then add it to another pc if that's what you're wanting to do.. but I'm not 100% sure how that activation will go.

and yes your windows 8.1 key will not be valid anymore.

The upgrade to windows 10 creates a key that is associated with the hardware of the machine. Some ppl complained that changing some hardware ex : GPU after the upgrade to windows 10 deactivated the windows 10 installation. The latest windows 10 build allows you to use windows 7/8 keys to activate it. I dont know if it's still gonna work after the free upgrade period.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

32 minutes ago, ITzJD803 said:

Windows 10 stores the key in the bios. So I would think .. now I could be wrong but I would think you'll be okay to upgrade the 8.1 in the VM and then create restore media to then add it to another pc if that's what you're wanting to do.. but I'm not 100% sure how that activation will go.

and yes your windows 8.1 key will not be valid anymore.

You don't have to create a restore media. You can just extract the activation code with something like pkeyubix.exe .

Or you can just install Win10 normally and skip the activation screen. Once the OS is installed you can activate Win10 with your Win8.1 key.

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

16 minutes ago, Domifi said:

You don't have to create a restore media. You can just extract the activation code with something like pkeyubix.exe .

Or you can just install Win10 normally andskip the activation screen. Once the OS is installed you can activate Win10 with your Win8.1 key.

I will try that.

Specs: 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Thomas CG said:

The upgrade to windows 10 creates a key that is associated with the hardware of the machine. Some ppl complained that changing some hardware ex : GPU after the upgrade to windows 10 deactivated the windows 10 installation. The latest windows 10 build allows you to use windows 7/8 keys to activate it. I dont know if it's still gonna work after the free upgrade period.

This depends. If you have a retail copy of the key, the license transfers over. If you have an OEM license, you have those restrictions.

My Windows 8.1 Retail key, once I upgraded to Windows 10, is now a Windows 10 Retail key. I can use it as many times as I would like, but only can have it activated on one machine at a time.