Help required to Upgrade my old PC

Sagar Kale

Hi Guys,

This is Sagar from India. I have a fairly old machine which performs.. i would say OK! I am a photogrpaher so use softwares like Photoshop, Lightroom etc. Also a bit of a gamer. I ma fairly new to things like overclocking and upgradation as have always asked the local computer engineer to get it upgraded for me. However this time around i would like to build it myself. Below specified is the configuration of my PC and i would like to know a couple of things here. I am a little short on budget and was hoping not to upgrade my CPU however would be upgrading everything else. Problem is my cpu will support only the z77 motherboards which are hard to find around here. Would like to know any kinda workaround if possible. Also i am mentioning what i have decided to buy and upgrade as of now (without the CPU and Motherboard) so would like to know if i am heading toward the right direction and some help with a new CPU and Motherboard or either or!

My Current SPECS: 

Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz    50 °C
    Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (10-10-10-30)
Motherboard
    Intel Corporation DB75EN (CPU 1)    28 °C
Graphics
    VA2248 SERIES (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Intel)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (ASUStek Computer Inc)    36 °C
Storage
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200AAJS-00L7A0 ATA Device (SATA)    41 °C
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00MVWB0 ATA Device (SATA)    35 °C
    1862GB Western Digital WD Passport X 107D USB Device (USB (SATA))    37 °C

The following are the upgrades i have chosen for now:

Cooler Master Thunder 500W SMPS by Cooler Master

Cooler Master HAF 912 Combat Gaming Computer Cabinet

Cooler Master Hyper 212X for Intel / AMD Processor - Cooling Solution

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250BW)

I am thinking of keeping the existing GPU at the start and also the HDDS and RAM!

Hope i was clear about everything,

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Start with the psu and gpu. 

13 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Start with the psu and gpu. 

IS the GPU not good enough for an improved setup? as in to begin with?

Just now, Sagar Kale said:

IS the GPU not good enough for an improved setup? as in to begin with?

Your 730 is not going to be playing games all that well in 2016. Don´t get the cooler master thunder psu, it´s a bad psu.

Start with getting a better GPU, such as the GeForce GTX 970 or the Radeon R9 390. If you can afford more than that get a GTX 980 or 980 Ti. Also if you get a new GPU you need something like a 600-650 watt PSU. Although most GPU's only require a 550W. I would get a 650 watt PSU, just to be safe.

19 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Your 730 is not going to be playing games all that well in 2016. Don´t get the cooler master thunder psu, it´s a bad psu.

ohh then what do u think i should go for?

12 minutes ago, Sagar Kale said:

how about the Cooler Master Hyper T4

1 minute ago, Sagar Kale said:

I would get a GeForce GTX 970 or a Radeon R9 390. What is your budget for a GPU?

1 minute ago, Sagar Kale said:

how about the Cooler Master Hyper T4

Cooler you chose is fine, it´s the psu and gpu you want to change.

12 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

I would get a GeForce GTX 970 or a Radeon R9 390. What is your budget for a GPU?

maybe around 175$

11 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

I agree.

Sorry my Bad misread it! 

how about the 

Corsair CP-9020051-WW VS Series VS650 650 Watt Power Supply Unit 

2 minutes ago, Sagar Kale said:

Sorry my Bad misread it! 

how about the 

Corsair CP-9020051-WW VS Series VS650 650 Watt Power Supply Unit 

VS series is also bad psu. Get something from xfx or seasonic if you can.

11 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

VS series is also bad psu. Get something from xfx or seasonic if you can.

ohh alright that shall do! But thats it? i can use this gpu alongwith my current system?

Just now, Sagar Kale said:

ohh alright that shall do! But thats it? i can use this gpu alongwith my current system?

What´s your budget for a gpu upgrade?

11 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

What´s your budget for a gpu upgrade?

around 175$

Sagar can you tell me the budget for your GPU in Rs because many factors like tax raise the price of computer product, right now 1 US dollar is = 68.32 Rs but that doesn't mean 100$ pc product will cost you Rs 6832. So relying on Rs is better for me than $

12 hours ago, Sagar Kale said:

around 175$

If i convert your price from US $ to rupees taking Rs 68.32 = 1$ (current market satus) than 175$ = 11966.5 Rs. 175 $ is enough for GTX 950 in US but in India, the least price i could find in internet is 14,950 Rs you may cut 1000 rs if you have find a good retail shop but than also the price will be around 13950 Rs (  ~14,000Rs) and price of GTX 960 in India, the least price i could find in internet is 17,290.00 Rs cutting 1000Rs if you have find out good retail shop 16,290 Rs. So the difference in price between them is 2340 Rs. by spending little more you will get better graphics card to play latest AAA games at 1080p  medium setting. GTX 960 is known as the best budget & performance per buck graphics card.

On 17 February 2016 at 11:51 PM, amit523dutta said:

If i convert your price from US $ to rupees taking Rs 68.32 = 1$ (current market satus) than 175$ = 11966.5 Rs. 175 $ is enough for GTX 950 in US but in India, the least price i could find in internet is 14,950 Rs you may cut 1000 rs if you have find a good retail shop but than also the price will be around 13950 Rs (  ~14,000Rs) and price of GTX 960 in India, the least price i could find in internet is 17,290.00 Rs cutting 1000Rs if you have find out good retail shop 16,290 Rs. So the difference in price between them is 2340 Rs. by spending little more you will get better graphics card to play latest AAA games at 1080p  medium setting. GTX 960 is known as the best budget & performance per buck graphics card.

wow thanks man!! yeah but my budget is around 17K in rupees so that shouldn't be a problem!! my thing is that i don't want to spend all at once ... i  need to do it part by part.... so i need to make sure everything works with my system if i am going for everything else but the motherboard and the processor first! 

your cpu is fine. it wouldn't bottle neck anything you would buy and it wouldnt be a problem on anything at all. if it were my pc id look at getting a cheap 80+ psu like a cx500 and a gtx 950. that will make your pc loads better at this point than an ssd

On 2/19/2016 at 4:15 PM, Conan1600 said:

your cpu is fine. it wouldn't bottle neck anything you would buy and it wouldnt be a problem on anything at all. if it were my pc id look at getting a cheap 80+ psu like a cx500 and a gtx 950. that will make your pc loads better at this point than an ssd

Thanks man!! appreciate it!