Huge Linux security exploit in glibc library (CVE-2015-7547)

KuJoe

Apparently the exploit was reported last July but just patched in the last 24 hours. It's a remote code execution exploit so this can be nasty over the next few days.

The glibc DNS client side resolver is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow when the getaddrinfo() library function is used. Software using this function may be exploited with attacker-controlled domain names, attacker-controlled DNS servers, or through a man-in-the-middle attack.

A back of the envelope analysis shows that it should be possible to write correctly formed DNS responses with attacker controlled payloads that will penetrate a DNS cache hierarchy and therefore allow attackers to exploit machines behind such caches,” O’Donnell said. It’s likely that all Linux servers and web frameworks such as Rails, PHP and Python are affected, as well as Android apps running glibc.

SOURCES:

https://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2016/02/cve-2015-7547-glibc-getaddrinfo-stack.html

https://threatpost.com/critical-glibc-vulnerability-puts-all-linux-machines-at-risk/116261/

For those interested, these are the patched versions of glibc on Debian and CentOS (along with how to check):

Command to check for CentOS: rpm -qa | grep glibc
CentOS 6 = glibc-2.12-1.166.el6_7.7
CentOS 7 = glibc-2.17-106.el7_2.4

Command to check for Debian: dpkg -s libc-bin | grep Version
Debian 6 = 2.11.3-4+deb6u11
Debian 7 = 2.13-38+deb7u10
Debian 8 = 2.19-18+deb8u3
Debian Sid = 2.21-8

Edited by KuJoe
Found another source with more information and a better explanation for the non-linux savvy.

-KuJoe

11 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Apparently the exploit was reported last July but just patched in the last 24 hours. It's a remote code execution exploit so this can be nasty over the next few days.

SOURCES:

https://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2016/02/cve-2015-7547-glibc-getaddrinfo-stack.html

https://threatpost.com/critical-glibc-vulnerability-puts-all-linux-machines-at-risk/116261/

For those interested, these are the patched versions of glibc on Debian and CentOS (along with how to check):

Command to check for CentOS: rpm -qa | grep glibc
CentOS 6 = glibc-2.12-1.166.el6_7.7
CentOS 7 = glibc-2.17-106.el7_2.4

Command to check for Debian: dpkg -s libc-bin | 

Don't worry, there are probably thousands of neckbeards working on this now. 

#opensource

1 hour ago, KuJoe said:

Apparently the exploit was reported last July but just patched in the last 24 hours.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

When you consider people are working round the clock to find security flaws and there are equally as many people trying to patch them, I think we'd be horrified to know just how many flaws there are.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

When you consider people are working round the clock to find security flaws and there are equally as many people trying to patch them, I think we'd be horrified to know just how many flaws there are.

I agree, but flaws like this are more scary because this is a widely used library that's fundamental to the most common Linux applications. It's also very similar to the GHOST exploit which was released around this time last year.

-KuJoe