PC Upgrades

Pinkieseb

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8H9PMp

Is my current PC Build. The pentium is at 4.7ghz on the stock cooler. Im going to upgrade to an i5 and a GTX 970. Is there anything else I should upgrade like my mobo and such? Once I make the upgrade Ill just save up until I can buy a Skylake PC and rebuild the entire thing (few years). I checked and the power supply should be okay if I dont overclock.  Thanks ;)

Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/DE4

Swap that seagate barracuda for a WD black, you'll get better performance and a 5 year warranty.

If you don't plan on overclocking, don't get a 4690k. Get a cheaper i5, I think it's called the 4660 or 4670. 

Im not even sure if your chipset is a good overclocking one, although I could be wrong.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

Just now, Trav_X said:

If you don't plan on overclocking, don't get a 4690k. Get a cheaper i5, I think it's called the 4660 or 4670. 

I definately do plan on it :P I got my pentium up to 4.7 on stock cooling, I think I could probably get the i5 to at least 4.5

Just now, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Swap that seagate barracuda for a WD black, you'll get better performance and a 5 year warranty.

Nah I've had good experiences with Seagate. Ill probably get a SSD 256GB

1 minute ago, Pinkieseb said:

I definately do plan on it :P I got my pentium up to 4.7 on stock cooling, I think I could probably get the i5 to at least 4.5

In that case, get the bigger PSU as well. In all honesty a 4460 would do fine in this case (I use one with that exact same PSU right now and it's great). Also, I wouldn't expect to get great overclocks on a 4690k with that motherboard. Save the money and go non K, really minimal difference.

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

In that case, get the bigger PSU as well. In all honesty a 4460 would do fine in this case (I use one with that exact same PSU right now and it's great). Also, I wouldn't expect to get great overclocks on a 4690k with that motherboard. Save the money and go non K, really minimal difference.

According to a PSU Calculator if I overclocked to 5 ghz somehow with the i5 it still would only use 400 under load which is fine. Also the mobo is actually surprisingly good. For down the line though if I did upgrade to a full sized mobo and a full sized case I would want to overclock. By getting the 4690k I wouldnt need to upgrade my CPU or GPU again until Pascal and whatever is the one up of Skylake :P

1) You cannot overclock a K chip on a H81 motherboard, the difference would be minimal.

2) Your PSU is very meh, It could be a ticking time bomb or just a mediocre PSU. Go for a EVGA GS, G2 or GQ. Any XFX or SeaSonic, 650w to allow for future upgrades.

3) See about a R9 390 from MSI, Sapphire, PowerColour or XFX. It would perform a smidge better and allow for higher resolutions.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

1) You cannot overclock a K chip on a H81 motherboard, the difference would be minimal.

2) Your PSU is very meh, It could be a ticking time bomb or just a mediocre PSU. Go for a EVGA GS, G2 or GQ. Any XFX or SeaSonic, 650w to allow for future upgrades.

3) See about a R9 390 from MSI, Sapphire, PowerColour or XFX. It would perform a smidge better and allow for higher resolutions.

The 390 would use a lot more power and I would need to upgrade my PSU a lot sooner than I need to.

I can overclock on that motherboard and its meh overclock but its still "futureproof"

Yes Im well aware my PSU is a ticking time bomb :)

19 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

According to a PSU Calculator if I overclocked to 5 ghz somehow with the i5 it still would only use 400 under load which is fine. Also the mobo is actually surprisingly good. For down the line though if I did upgrade to a full sized mobo and a full sized case I would want to overclock. By getting the 4690k I wouldnt need to upgrade my CPU or GPU again until Pascal and whatever is the one up of Skylake :P

I don't ever trust PSU calculators. I have a 4690k overclocked and MSI 970 at home and I use a 500w. Your PSU is pretty crappy regardless, so I would upgrade to something like a 600w if you want to future-proof yourself.

8 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

The 390 would use a lot more power and I would need to upgrade my PSU a lot sooner than I need to.

I can overclock on that motherboard and its meh overclock but its still "futureproof"

Yes Im well aware my PSU is a ticking time bomb :)

I don't think your understand, YOU MAY, MAYBE get a 100mhz Overclock, IF you get any at all. The power consumption of a 390 isn't much more, either way your PSU is meant for low end PCs, if it reaches a high temperatures, it can easily take out your WHOLE PC.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

6 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

I don't ever trust PSU calculators. I have a 4690k overclocked and MSI 970 at home and I use a 500w. Your PSU is pretty crappy regardless, so I would upgrade to something like a 600w if you want to future-proof yourself.

Alright. Ill get a 650w before my GPU. Ill buy Cpu, PSU then GPU

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I don't think your understand, YOU MAY, MAYBE get a 100mhz Overclock, IF you get any at all. The power consumption of a 390 isn't much more, either way your PSU is meant for low end PCs, if it reaches a high temperatures, it can easily take out your WHOLE PC.

So would it be worth it to get another mobo or should I just get a cheaper, non overclockable version and a 390X with the extra money? Ill probably get a 650w in that case.

2 minutes ago, Pinkieseb said:

So would it be worth it to get another mobo or should I just get a cheaper, non overclockable version and a 390X with the extra money? Ill probably get a 650w in that case.

Yes, the performance gain of a 390x is more worth it than a 4690k.