Acer Aspire E series build quality and heat output

Hi!

I'm deciding on buying a laptop for school for all the basic tasks + Adobe apps and some CS:GO. So far, I found this (http://www.villman.com/Product-Detail/Acer_E5-473G_i5) to be the uncontested king in it's price range (raw specs wise). But, I've heard bad things about Aspires and how their build quality sucks and who they overheat etc.

Can anyone here who has this laptop provide feedback on what it is like? If so, you would be very much appreciated :D

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Been there, done that. Some Filipino sites claim that the build quality is good, and that the vents are sufficient enough to dissipate the heat, yet some more professional sites claim that the laptop gets super hot. Some reviews even skimp on the build quality, they merely state the laptop's aesthetics. Watched videos on YT, some say build quality is not good, some say it's okay.

Just now, djdelarosa25 said:

Been there, done that. Some Filipino sites claim that the build quality is good, and that the vents are sufficient enough to dissipate the heat, yet some more professional sites claim that the laptop gets super hot. Some reviews even skimp on the build quality, they merely state the laptop's aesthetics. Watched videos on YT, some say build quality is not good, some say it's okay.

The ones I picked have professional equipment (especially notebook reviews) and are not just a random person making a video or writing a review or a small website.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

26 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The laptop doesn't have good venting if you look closely at the casing there's not much room to remove enough heat.  I'd advise against suggesting it due to that alone.  Venting on a laptop is important.

Do the Dell Inspiron 14 5000 series have good venting and build quality?

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Let me check.  Eh, that looks slightly better; however, there's a design flaw from want I'm seeing with it.  The build quality seems fine, but the bottom has like one straight line for venting, and that's it.  I don't exactly trust so little venting, but that's just me.  That just comes off as so easy to block the venting.  I'd look more towards an HP Elitebook, ASUS, or MSI.  Those usually have better build quality+venting in my experience.  The Elitebooks are higher end mobile workstations from HP that are usually metal mostly on the casing with superior venting.  However, MSI and ASUS might have cheaper options in your budget.  HPs actual good models aren't usually the cheapest.  Their cheaper stuff and Compaq are usually junk.

Unfortunately, the cheapest decent EliteBooks and ThinkPads are over $1000 in my country :/ So between the Acer and Dell, I'd have to go with Dell?

I have a friend with an Acer Aspire (don't remember the exact model) with a Celeron and Intel HD3000. It overheats regularly.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Aren't Acer Aspire laptops specifically designed to be shit, overheat constantly and break down 2 days after warranty ends?

I'm sorry but I've had very very bad experience with any of the Aspire series laptops.

Those things are trash in my opinion and just rigged to break down.

1 hour ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Then what are good budget laptop brands?

What's your budget?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 hours ago, deWaardt said:

Aren't Acer Aspire laptops specifically designed to be shit, overheat constantly and break down 2 days after warranty ends?

I'm sorry but I've had very very bad experience with any of the Aspire series laptops.

Those things are trash in my opinion and just rigged to break down.

Sadly that also happens with their Nitro series - lot's of complaints on HardwareBG.com

1 hour ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Then what are good budget laptop brands?

This is decent
http://www.villman.com/Product-Detail/MSI_GE60_2QE-1079PH

That's too expensive :/ Can you help me find one at about ~PHP 30,000?

I did try and you have to compromise performance to go down to that.

10 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I did try and you have to compromise performance to go down to that.

I just want the best balance of performance and build quality for the money. I'm a high school student and I think anything above around 30,000 PHP is the max that my parents will allot to me. I'm not even sure if I can reach past 30K

I just want the best balance of performance and build quality for the money. I'm a high school student and I think anything above around 30,000 PHP is the max that my parents will allot to me. I'm not even sure if I can reach past 30K

Then you will have to compromise on power quite a bit and go with a 930M or Intel HD graphics. 940M + decent build and cooling for that price doesn't seem possible to me

34 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Then you will have to compromise on power quite a bit and go with a 930M or Intel HD graphics. 940M + decent build and cooling for that price doesn't seem possible to me

Then I'll guess I'll just have to go for the Acer. It's the best for the long run. It's the only one in the price point with an FHD display and great specs. Who knows, this may actually be one of Acer's decent PCs build-wise just like my dad's eight year old Aspire that's still going strong. Maybe it all goes down on how I handle the thing.

9 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Then I'll guess I'll just have to go for the Acer. It's the best for the long run. It's the only one in the price point with an FHD display and great specs. Who knows, this may actually be one of Acer's decent PCs build-wise just like my dad's eight year old Aspire that's still going strong. Maybe it all goes down on how I handle the thing.

Acer don't have any decent aspires. The last decent one was made in 2010. Believe me, it will not last past the warranty and even then, at least 1 RMA is sure to occur

On 2/16/2016 at 0:07 AM, valdyrgramr said:

Let me check.  Eh, that looks slightly better; however, there's a design flaw from want I'm seeing with it.  The build quality seems fine, but the bottom has like one straight line for venting, and that's it.  I don't exactly trust so little venting, but that's just me.  That just comes off as so easy to block the venting.  I'd look more towards an HP Elitebook, ASUS, or MSI.  Those usually have better build quality+venting in my experience.  The Elitebooks are higher end mobile workstations from HP that are usually metal mostly on the casing with superior venting.  However, MSI and ASUS might have cheaper options in your budget.  HPs actual good models aren't usually the cheapest.  Their cheaper stuff and Compaq are usually junk.

I found an ASUS K401LB that's priced very similarly with the Dell but has the exact same specs with the Acer, apart from a smaller 500 GB HDD. Can you take a look at the venting and build quality, and make comparisons of it and the Dell to know which is better?

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 7:12 AM, valdyrgramr said:

Isn't ASUS one of the makers you asked about?  If not, I'd go with the Dell.   You're not going to be gaming at all on that Acer due to the overheating issue being worse on that.

Wait, you said that the Aspire has bad venting. But if you compare the three, the Aspire obviously has the most number of vents. Why is that so?

3 hours ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Wait, you said that the Aspire has bad venting. But if you compare the three, the Aspire obviously has the most number of vents. Why is that so?

Size matters - look for the bigger heatsink, heatpipe and fan -

On 16/2/2016 at 1:11 AM, valdyrgramr said:

The plastic is 3D printed, and not the toughest yet has a tough feel.  The problem is that GPU extensive tasks are going to give you heat issues.

The laptop doesn't have good venting if you look closely at the casing there's not much room to remove enough heat.  I'd advise against suggesting it due to that alone.  Venting on a laptop is important.

Pretty much the same as my current laptop (typical modern HP BTW).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

As I said, I didn't see a pic of the venting on the ASUS one.  So, I was left with reviews giving pros and cons.  Also, more vents isn't always better.  It's the design/pattern.

The vid shows a small amount of vents on the bottom but a large fan and a beefy heatpipe

32 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Oh.  Was it the one they asked about?  

Think so - model number matches