should i get 4x4 OR 2x8

the budget is the same
Need help ?

1 minute ago, Brodcast said:

i have 4 slots for RAM and i want to get 16GB
should i get 4x4 OR 2x8

the budget is the same
Need help ?

2x8. 8gb sticks have rank interleaving, 4gb sticks do not. Rank Interleaving is free performance, so the choice in this specific scenario is an obvious one. If both are the same price, go for 2x8gb.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

2x8. 8gb sticks have rank interleaving, 4gb sticks do not. Rank Interleaving is free performance, so the choice in this specific scenario is an obvious one. If both are the same price, go for 2x8gb.

then thi 2x8 is bether then 4x4 is that right ?

As I've learned on this forum, filling out 2 slots actualy makes it easier for your system to work with the Ram (less strain on the mainboard), so 2 slots is always better then 4.

Ontop of that, the less modules you buy, the less you'll have to pay for exactly the same performance, leaving you 2 slots you can use lateron to upgrade to more ram (wich by then will be cheaper).

Thats what were here for. None of us know it all, but were always willing to share what we know :)

5 minutes ago, SXTC said:

As I've learned on this forum, filling out 2 slots actualy makes it easier for your system to work with the Ram (less strain on the mainboard), so 2 slots is always better then 4.

Ontop of that, the less modules you buy, the less you'll have to pay for exactly the same performance, leaving you 2 slots you can use lateron to upgrade to more ram (wich by then will be cheaper).

Very close. 2 sticks is actually less stressful on the CPU IMC, but 2 slots is not always better than 4. Remember, some board+CPU combinations can run in quad channel, which require 4 DIMMS to be occupied. This means 4 sticks in quad channel would have double the peak theoretical bandwidth of 2 sticks in dual channel. It's why i said "In this very specific scenario" up above, because if he had a board that could support quad channel memory, then 4x4 would offer more performance than 2x8gb. Quad Channel > Rank Interleaving in terms of raw bandwidth. That being said, if you can afford 4x8gb sticks, then you get the best of both worlds on those boards. As you get both rank interleaving AND quad channel.

Another thing to note, is that as sticks get higher in capacity, their ability to overclock gets reduced. 8 and 16GB sticks are harder to overclock than 4GB sticks. However, on a dual channel board, 2x8gb 3000mhz memory would actually be faster than 4x4gb 3400mhz memory, due to the additional bandwidth offered by Rank Interleaving, not to mention the ability to write to one rank while reading from another. 

Sometimes, memory can just be a little too complicated :S

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.