CX430M

Matty2hatty

Before you all immediately say that the CX series is crap and i shouldn't get it here my case:

I am looking to build a low power probably about 200w system with an i5 no gpu, would the CX430M suffice? I just need all the cable management i can get in a compact mATX case, so would it be ok? I heard the CXM series is better quality than the CX series?

Isn't the CX and CXM series the same thing apart from M is semi-modular?

Anyways, I still have my CX500M (even though I'm planning to upgrade) and it's served me great, if I'm honest, it should have no problems, but why go for an i5 if you're having no GPU? Kaveri has better integrated graphics!

1 minute ago, Matty2hatty said:

Before you all immediately say that the CX series is crap and i shouldn't get it here my case:

I am looking to build a low power probably about 200w system with an i5 no gpu, would the CX430M suffice? I just need all the cable management i can get in a compact mATX case, so would it be ok? I heard the CXM series is better quality than the CX series?

It would be perfect for your specs. The CX series is just not recommended for powerful gaming, and workstation rigs.

I also don't know about differences in quality of the CXM over CX, but the modularity (semi-modularity actually!) that the CXM series offers is very much necessary, considering the minimal difference in price.

Nothing to see here ;)

1 minute ago, Gibs960 said:

-Snip-

Because an i5 will rip Kaveri apart if i put a cheap gnu in there like the 750 ti, which would still work with this psu…. anyway its an office pc

3 minutes ago, Matty2hatty said:

Because an i5 will rip Kaveri apart if i put a cheap gnu in there like the 750 ti, which would still work with this psu…. anyway its an office pc

Well that isn't no GPU then is it? ;)

Also, it might be worth spending £10 extra and get a 500w so you have a bit of headroom.

The CX 400 (not 430) and the CX 750 or 750 are better than the average CX.

The "M" for modular means it is modular, not that it is better.

A Normal CX will be fine for a basic PC.

Yeah you'll be fine! Given I want to upgrade from the CX430M, I can survive playing games on full settings with an i5 (4690K) and a GTX 970, I'm not sure how I'm achieving that, but I am.

My Desktop: Intel i7 7700k, GTX 1060, Samsung EVO 840, Vengeance Pro 32GB RAM, Air 240.

"Once you go mechanical, you never go back"

32 minutes ago, Matty2hatty said:

The "M" stands for modular. Which means you don't have to use the unnecessary cable like the pcie power connector since you don't have a dedicated GPU. The CX series power supplies are perfectly fine for low end systems and should suffice your needs very well.

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

1 minute ago, DannyRyu said:

the problem with most (not all) CX series PSU's is the low temperature tolerance.

Not an issue if you have decent airflow in your case, if your ambient temperature isn't over 30 c° then it should be good.

1 minute ago, Generallee said:

Not an issue if you have decent airflow in your case, if your ambient temperature isn't over 30 c° then it should be good.

yeah thats the point. Compact mATX Case. not exactly the best for cooling.

6 hours ago, Gibs960 said:

Isn't the CX and CXM series the same thing apart from M is semi-modular?

Anyways, I still have my CX500M (even though I'm planning to upgrade) and it's served me great, if I'm honest, it should have no problems, but why go for an i5 if you're having no GPU? Kaveri has better integrated graphics!

6 hours ago, Matty2hatty said:

6 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The CX 400 (not 430) and the CX 750 or 750 are better than the average CX.

The "M" for modular means it is modular, not that it is better.

A Normal CX will be fine for a basic PC.

The M actually is technically better, though not in the way you might think.

Revision 3 of the CX is the same quality internally as the CX-M which negates that 30C tolerance deal and ups it to 38 iirc. The first two revisions of the non CX400 versions of the CX had that poor temperature tolerance thing. They're all totally fine for a no-GPU system regardless.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||