CPU Picking Help

So I've upgraded my computer with a r9 390 nitro but kept my stock intel i7-2600 cpu and i want to upgrade to a better more efficient processor for modern gaming and possibly be a little future proofing. anybody have any recommendations? because processor picking seems a lot more complicated than GPU shopping and there are waaay more things in place to decide performance.

PC Specs-

GPU- Sapphire R9 390 Nitro | CPU- Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz | RAM- 12 Gigs of DDR3 Ram | PSU- 850 W Gold rated EVGA Power Supply | Motherboard- Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | OS- Windows 10 Home

that processor is more than capable.

I'd wait to upgrade as you'd have to spend $300-500 to see a marginal improvement. 

maybe you can try an i7 5790k. it has 6 cores 12 threads so it can be great for CPU bound games and in some cases can mop the floor on the i7 6700K on cpu bound tasks 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

The only reason i ask is because ive noticed a lot of bottle necking on some games, such as witcher 3, fallout 4, and some others i only get 40 fps on ultra where on a 8 gig vram card i should be getting more than that. So i assume it must be my processor. or bad optimization....

PC Specs-

GPU- Sapphire R9 390 Nitro | CPU- Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz | RAM- 12 Gigs of DDR3 Ram | PSU- 850 W Gold rated EVGA Power Supply | Motherboard- Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | OS- Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, Alexokan said:

that processor is more than capable.

I'd wait to upgrade as you'd have to spend $300-500 to see a marginal improvement. 

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

maybe you can try an i7 5790k. it has 6 cores 12 threads so it can be great for CPU bound games and in some cases can mop the floor on the i7 6700K on cpu bound tasks 

Do you mean 5930K and NOT 5790K?

Just now, alexc026 said:

Do you mean 5930K and NOT 5790K?

oh crap my bad sorry 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

oh crap my bad sorry 

It's ok we all make mistakes in life

6 minutes ago, jonobang said:

The only reason i ask is because ive noticed a lot of bottle necking on some games, such as witcher 3, fallout 4, and some others i only get 40 fps on ultra where on a 8 gig vram card i should be getting more than that. So i assume it must be my processor. or bad optimization....

i agree with you OP i tried running fallout 4 on a AMD Phenom 9750 and a GTX 950 and i got a HUGE CPU bottleneck. the game got 12 fps sometimes on low settings and the CPU usage stayed at 99% all the time while the graphics stayed at 15 to 40% usage. apperantly fallout4 is very CPU BOUND.

11 minutes ago, jonobang said:

I doubt it's bottlenecking since both the R9 390 and GTX 970 run about that FPS on Ultra settings on those specific games (well, Witcher 3 anyway).

Check your CPU usage, because it should just be normal.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

So basically I should probably just wait for a processor? At first i was looking into amd because they were cheap and seemed like really good processors but then saw that their core efficiency and threading weren't as good as intel and didn't perform as well in benchmarks making them not as good per core as intel.

PC Specs-

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I doubt it's bottlenecking since both the R9 390 and GTX 970 run about that FPS on Ultra settings on those specific games.

Check your CPU usage, because it should just be normal.

no fallout 4 is VERY CPU INTENSIVE. since its an open world game it heavily depends on the CPU to load the world as your character walks through the commonwealth.

23 minutes ago, jonobang said:

In Witcher 3 that's really doubtful that it's bottlenecking. That game is extremely hard on gpus at ultra, a 390 isn't going to pull 60 fps if you turn every slider to the right. You're probably best setting things to very high with a few settings at high. Also, Witcher 3 doesn't care how much vram you have. My 970 never goes above 1.8 GB at 1080p.

In Fallout 4 it's a definite cpu bottleneck. I run a Xeon E3-1231v3 which is really similar to your i7-2600 but about 15% more powerful, and I have to turn shadow distance and godrays to medium to get a locked 60 fps with my GTX 970.

The R9 390 isn't a card you can buy and just turn every slider to the max at 1080p. About the only cards on the market you can get away with that are the GTX 980 Ti and the Titan X. When you're hitting CPU limits turn shadows down a bit and draw distance being lowered helps too. I wouldn't bother with a cpu upgrade though unless you're willing to go big: e.g., i7-5820k + X99 board + 4 sticks of DDR4. But the i7-2600 is still a very strong cpu for gaming, and a really good match for an R9 390 to build a balanced system.

Also, can't Sandy Bridge cpus be ran at their max turbo clock on all cores? You could take your quadcore load clock up to 3.8 GHz from 3.5 GHz using a setting that might be called Enhanced Turbo or Multicore Enhancement in your BIOS, depending on the brand of your motherboard.

i7 2600 use LGA 1155 socket , this socket is compatible only with 2 & 3rd gen processor so' if you are not upgrading your mother board than 3rd gen is max for you, i will not recommend to do that because if you are wasting money right now to buy 3rd gen is not a good idea when market is filled with skylake processor. So' if you are ready to spend money on mother board than make your budget little bit loose and go for a skylake build.

personal view : i7 2600 is more than enough to handle your GPU or any upcoming hardware , i will not suggest to waste your money right now.