HDD Swap 2*5,25 Raid Device

HdFkK

Hey everyone,

for my build I am looking to back up part of my system on a Raid 1 array of two WD Red (Pro?) 1TB. I want these plates to be exchangeable and if possible lockable in the drive bay. I have been looking at some solutions from different manufacturers, namely:

Raidsonic 

SUB RAID CobaNitrox SB-C 102 - Inter-Tech GmbH

Do you think they are worth the cash? Or should I just get a lockable 3-bay or 4-bay dock and an extra Raid controller? If yes, which brands offer workstation quality?

Edit: I was going for a solution like this to keep the inside of the case nice and clean, I just wonder about if it would work as I plan..

You tell me! Who is your daddy and what does he do? 

Systems:

Spoiler

• Silent-WS: 5820k@4,5GHz, 32GB Klevv Cras white DDR4, Titan X Pascal@EKWB, Asus X99 E-WS 3.1, 512GB 950Pro, Caselabs Merlin SM8, Seasonic Prime 850W
  • MacBook: 15" Retina Late 2013
  • Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5"
  • Network Storage: -

Check out Icy Dock products, I remember them having a lockable 2*3.5" hotswap bay that fit in 1 or 2 5.25" bays.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Raidsonic is the manufacturer of all the "Icy" Brand products, Icy Boxes, Icy Docks etc. And they also make the mentioned hot swap bay with an integrated Raid Controller, I just wonder if it is worth 300$?

Systems:

Spoiler

• Silent-WS: 5820k@4,5GHz, 32GB Klevv Cras white DDR4, Titan X Pascal@EKWB, Asus X99 E-WS 3.1, 512GB 950Pro, Caselabs Merlin SM8, Seasonic Prime 850W

I actually hadn't looked at your link, sorry. And that is good to know who makes the Icy brands. As for the integrated RAID controller - that is a nifty feature, and offers the benefit of less cables inside your case, but I would be more comfortable with an external RAID controller or motherboard RAID as I would be more certain about getting to my data if the controller dies.

That´s what I am leaning towards, too. Do you think the fans on those hot swap bays can be exchanged, some of them come in sizes where maybe more silent aftermarket fans are available?

Systems:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HdFkK said:

That´s what I am leaning towards, too. Do you think the fans on those hot swap bays can be exchanged, some of them come in sizes where maybe more silent aftermarket fans are available?

The 4*2.5" in 1*5.25" icydock I have uses 40mm fans, and specifically says and has instructions for replacing the fan. I don't know if they normally make it that way or not.

3 minutes ago, brwainer said:

The 4*2.5" in 1*5.25" icydock I have uses 40mm fans, and specifically says and has instructions for replacing the fan. I don't know if they normally make it that way or not.

That is good to know! Are you running SSDs or HDDs, and if HDDs, is there any vibration damping included?

Systems:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, HdFkK said:

That is good to know! Are you running SSDs or HDDs, and if HDDs, is there any vibration damping included?

Right now I have 3x SSDs, soon to be 4. At one time I had 2 SSDs and 2 WD RED 1TB HDDs. The low end model I had didn't have any anti vibration and were rigid plastic trays, but it would be a simple matter to add 1mm rubber rings under each corner of the drives. A thin rubber shouldn't affect lining up with the connector in the back too badly, there was some tolerance anyway. The higher end models I believe have anti-vibration as an option.