Building a video game?

robert1339

I've received an assignment to build a video game or an interactive story. My teacher has recommended the class to use MIT scratch but are there any alternative languages to build a simple game with a main character and a goal? I'm thinking about C++. Also what should be the main objective and the storyline behind the game?

~Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth - Oscar Wilde~

1 minute ago, robert1339 said:

Also what should be the main objective and the storyline behind the game?

You mean you don't know what the objective and story of the game you want to design is about?

Oh and if you're new to programming and this is for a class assignment, trying to program a game using C++ might be a bit too ambitious.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

-snip-

I've not decided on what the storyline would be as yet, but I am not entirely new to programming.

~Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth - Oscar Wilde~

3 minutes ago, robert1339 said:

I've not decided on what the storyline would be as yet, but I am not entirely new to programming.

Not entirely new doesn't say anything about your knowledge and programming skills.  It sounds more like a beginner trying to avoid admitting that he/she is a beginner.

C++ is a powerful language but it can also be a tough language to master.  How do you intend to create the graphics, if any, of the game using C++?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

I'm a beginner, not afraid to admit but I have no idea how to implement graphics as yet (hopefully)

2 minutes ago, robert1339 said:

I'm a beginner, not afraid to admit but I have no idea how to implement graphics as yet (hopefully)

And when is the deadline for this assignment?

Perhaps you might want to consider using something else if you don't want to use MIT Scratch as your teacher recommended.  There are other game creation tools out there.

But definitely do NOT use C++ if you're on a short deadline and you are still trying to master the language.

Using MIT scratch is something very low level and is used for younger children who wants to start programming but if it's your teachers recommendation to use something as simple then maybe look at Python or Oxygine which ia a simple 2D based game engine. 

Does an ASCII game (in the console) count?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Just now, ALwin said:

And when is the deadline for this assignment?

A month away

1 minute ago, Nineshadow said:

Does an ASCII game (in the console) count?

Probably but I'm not sure

2 minutes ago, robert1339 said:

A month away

I edited my comment, go back and read it.

A month is not enough time to master C++ and create your own game, unless you decide not to eat, sleep or do anything besides concentrating on C++ for about 720 hours non stop.  And that would still be a miracle to achieve.

3 minutes ago, Neemil said:

Using MIT scratch is something very low level and is used for younger children who wants to start programming but if it's your teachers recommendation to use something as simple then maybe look at Python or Oxygine which ia a simple 2D based game engine. 

I will look into those. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, robert1339 said:

I've received an assignment to build a video game or an interactive story. My teacher has recommended the class to use MIT scratch but are there any alternative languages to build a simple game with a main character and a goal? I'm thinking about C++. Also what should be the main objective and the storyline behind the game?

Well. you said you've got a month for the assignment deadline, I would recommend using Linus's free Lynda.com's trial. There's so many things that you could really learn quickly! 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Anyway , if you do decide to go with C++ , I recommend SFML , or maybe if you're brave SDL.

SFML is really easy to use and they have good tutorials on their site.

Making something like Snake is pretty easy.

Anyway , considering the teacher suggested you use MIT scratch , I suspect this will be way way more than what is required,

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

5 minutes ago, Neemil said:

Have you considered that the entire point of the assignment is to teach the OP the concepts behind creating a game and not really about learning how to create a game using any specific language?  It will take a miracle for anyone not familiar with a programming language to learn the language and create a game from scratch within a month.

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

I edited my comment, go back and read it.

A month is not enough time to master C++ and create your own game, unless you decide not to eat, sleep or do anything besides concentrating on C++ for about 720 hours non stop.  And that would still be a miracle to achieve.

It's true if you have experience with C++ then you could easily make a simple game within a week but if not then I would suggest OP to use a game engine with assets already created by a community to  help and create something simple but unique. Instead of creating something like a low-level RPG rather do a mind-game something like where  your objective is to figure out a number of confusing puzzles or patterns to move on to the next stage it's simple but it entertaining. 

Just now, ALwin said:

Have you considered that the entire point of the assignment is to teach the OP the concepts behind creating a game and not really about learning how to create a game using any specific language?  It will take a miracle for anyone not familiar with a programming language to learn the language and create a game from scratch within a month.

But then a game is a lot more than just scripting...they really are quite complicated pieces of software.

1 minute ago, Nineshadow said:

Anyway , if you do decide to go with C++ , I recommend SFML , or maybe if you're brave SDL.

SFML is really easy to use and they have good tutorials on their site.

Making something like Snake is pretty easy.

Anyway , considering the teacher suggested you use MIT scratch , I suspect this will be way way more than what is required,

I doubt the OP's teacher had in mind that the OP re-create any existing game using a different program language or something. It's more like the teacher is trying to get the OP to do something original while learning the concepts of programming and game creation.

@OP, what grade or school level is this course?

Just now, ALwin said:

I doubt the OP's teacher had in mind that the OP re-create any existing game using a different program language or something. It's more like the teacher is trying to get the OP to do something original while learning the concepts of programming and game creation.

@OP, what grade or school level is this course?

My thoughts exactly.

Just now, ALwin said:

what grade or school level is this course?

Grade 9. I am new to the school so most likely they are beginning to teach the concepts of programming

10 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

But then a game is a lot more than just scripting...they really are quite complicated pieces of software.

Back in my post graduate CompSci course, one assignment had us trying to create the game Reversi using Java.  The objective for us was to learn how to use certain functions and Java libraries instead of actually learning how to program a game.

I also tried making games on my own, using Microsoft XNA with Visual Studio... trust me, they weren't easy.

Just now, robert1339 said:

Grade 9. I am new to the school so most likely they are beginning to teach the concepts of programming

For the purpose of this assignment use MIT Scratch as your teacher recommended, or something similar.  If you decide to go the path of using a programming language you are not familiar with to a certain proficiency level you will not be able to complete the assignment.

Just now, ALwin said:

For the purpose of this assignment use MIT Scratch as your teacher recommended, or something similar.  If you decide to go the path of using a programming language you are not familiar with to a certain proficiency level you will not be able to complete the assignment.

Okay, thank you for your help!

Construct 2 requires little to no programming knowledge to make a game.

GameMaker studio is a bit harder to learn, but is basically the same as Construct 2.

WOW! Cant believe no one has mentioned this yet, but use Unity C#. You can download the Unity Game Engine here. Unity is EXTREMELY easy to pick up and there are 1000's of good tutorials on the web. I have shipped 11 titles in the Unity Engine so far in my career and I was able to learn it while a freshman in college with no prior programming knowledge. You can easily build something like a 2D platformer in a month with Unity. If everyone else in the class is using Scratch and Game Maker you will blow them out of the water haha. The good thing too is that real professional companies are using Unity so if you ever want a job as a Video Game Engineer you can definitely benefit from this experience.