Building my first PC (need suggestions for CPU)

seami

Hello guys. New member here.

So I'm building a new PC for gaming. I was thinking to build mid-range PC from Holiday Buyer's Guide

, but only problem is that I mainly play Arma 3, who is request a lot of CPU performence, and as I read in reddit, to wanna play on high graphics you should AT LEAST have a Intel Core i7 3770k. But as I was informed, I can't put that CPU in my PC, so I got suggestions: Buy Intel Core I5 4690k and overlock it to 4.5ghz or buy Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 3.4 GHz. So what your thoughts? What should I choose in this case?

Im pretty new at this PC building things, I started to wonder about this whole PC things only couple weeks ago, so if I made a really bad mistake in my message, dont hate. BTW, sorry for my bad English

Thank you!

I have that processor, so I would definetly recommend it. The 4690k is easy to overclock and the temps are ok for haswell. Go on https://pcpartpicker.com/ for the best prices.

Spoiler

My Rig {TEAM RED} --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X GPU: Powercolor Red Dragon RX590 8GB PSU: Novatech Powerstation V2 500w Semi Modular 

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming RAM: Adata XPG 16GB 3000mhz Storage: Sandisk Ultra 120GB SSD + 1 WD 1TB Blues

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 05   Cooling:  AMD Raith Spectre RGB  Monitor:  Benq XL2420Z

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion SPECTRUM  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SPECTRUM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, for that game, you can't go wrong with either. I'd probably grab whichever is cheaper and put the left over funds towards a really good gpu. Also, here is my source. Remember, with the xeon you can grab an H97, B85, or H81 motherboard for cheaper than a Z97 because you aren't overclocking and that money you saved there can also go towards a better video card. Just food for thought.

Yeah I would go for the i5 if you are just intending on gaming. it should be just fine for basically every game and has a much higher clock than a Xeon, ofc if you were planning on doing content creation I would go for the xeon.

PC: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/lbrwnie/saved/4iSW

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga

Phone: Moto X Play 16GB White

dude you got this! i5  will be great! don't get  intimidate by the build process. Get a good power supply and graphics card also! if you need any help i or WE forum can walk you though it! 

Just go for the Xeon. It performs like the i7-4770 (+/-). The main difference from the i7-4770 is that the Xeon doesn't have the Intel HD, but who cares :D (actually if the GPU dies, Intel HD is useful). What is more, if you want to overclock the i5-4690K you will need a Z97 chipset motherboard, better cooling and a decent PSU. Those cost some money. So, if I were you, I will choose the Xeon because it's cheaper over all and performs better than i5-4690K.