2 HDD's, 1 OS?

Allshevski

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of.. Risky stuff with my PC lately and my entire HDD feels just like a trash bin with all these programs and files. So I wanted to ask if it would be possible to put 2 HDDs in my PC and install an OS on them in some way that they don't "see" each other? I mean - if I boot from one drive, the second remains off and vice versa. And would it be possible to have 2 windows copies activated with one key on them? There will be always only 1 system active and both drives will be connected to the same motherboard so I don't know why this wouldn't work but want to be sure that I won't discover that my key is invalid when I wake up the next day.

Thanks in advance, I Love You <3

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

In terms of activation, as long as it's the exact same board then it should be no problem. (Exact same meaning you can't even swap for a board of the same model) When installing Windows, just make sure you unplug the other drive or else Windows could discover the boot sector of the other drive and funny stuff can happen with regards to the boot manager. Once installed, just make sure you select the correct boot device and there shouldn't be any issues. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

In terms of activation, as long as it's the exact same board then it should be no problem. (Exact same meaning you can even swap for a board of the same model) When installing Windows, just make sure you unplug the other drive or else Windows will find the boot sector of the other drive and funny stuff can happen with regards to the boot manager. Once installed, just make sure you select the correct boot device and there shouldn't be any issues. 

But the issue is that they will perceive the other drive as storage, won't they? Personally I like the funny stuff, gonna try ;3

Just now, Allshevski said:

But the issue is that they will perceive the other drive as storage, won't they? Personally I like the funny stuff, gonna try ;3

It will see the other drive in Windows Explorer and you'll probably be able to access and write on it. But Windows won't use it to save files and install programs on the other drive if you've installed Windows with it unplugged. This is in theory. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

RAID 0...no questions asked

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It will see the other drive in Windows Explorer and you'll probably be able to access and write on it. But Windows won't use it to save files and install programs on the other drive if you've installed Windows with it unplugged. This is in theory. 

Oh, if there is no way to isolate them, I will have to unplug them manually.. Yes, I could use a virtual machine for some sketchy things but that is not always an option..

Think you can install OS per HDD and then from the one that boots add the other one and then on boot you can select which one you want.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff541231(v=vs.85).aspx

Then you can hide the unwanted HDD on each OS through disk managament

https://www.google.se/search?q=hide+hdd

1 minute ago, Otomaru said:

Think you can install OS per HDD and then from the one that boots add the other one and then on boot you can select which one you want.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff541231(v=vs.85).aspx

Then you can hide the unwanted HDD on each OS through disk managament

https://www.google.se/search?q=hide+hdd

Thank You!