Cannon EOS 5D Mark III, timelapses?

Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

The Canon EOS utility for timelapse

What's up guys,

I'm currently loaning out the camera from my university for the weekend to shoot some time-lapses. They don't have a timer remote to loan out,so is there anyway to shoot a time-lapse without it? I have heard about using a laptop or calculator. 

With a laptop or some calculators, you need to connect it.  You should be able to with a laptop as I believe Canon offers their camera control software for free which comes with an intervalometer option.  With a laptop you just need a long enough USB cable.  With a calculator I am not sure which models are compatible and how you can set them up.  The information should be available on the web.

The main issues you will face with either are: battery life on both the camera and laptop, and storage capacity depending on if you shoot JPEG or RAW.  And don't forget protecting them from the elements if you plan to leave them outdoors.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

With a laptop or some calculators, you need to connect it.  You should be able to with a laptop as I believe Canon offers their camera control software for free which comes with an intervalometer option.  With a laptop you just need a long enough USB cable.  With a calculator I am not sure which models are compatible and how you can set them up.  The information should be available on the web.

I have tried with laptop before, but my university doesn't offer the cd for the install and the online installer requires the cd.

Edit:Sorry, I have found the website, thanks for your help.

The Canon EOS utility for timelapse

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 minutes ago, Sebastian Kurpiel said:

I have tried with laptop before, but my university doesn't offer the cd for the install and the online installer requires the cd.

See if this website can solve your issue.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html