Samsung 840 vs 840 Pro?

tehkyle5k

I'm looking into adding a SSD to my computer, and I've more or less decided on getting a Samsung 840(http://amzn.to/17ND8nu).  What are the advantages of stepping up to the 840 Pro?(http://amzn.to/1dTMC95)   Is it worth the extra money to get the Pro, or should I go with an Intel or OCZ?

Faster and better warranty.

Unnoticeably faster. Stick with the normal 840.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Samsung 840 Evo

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I got a basic 840, perfectly fine.

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

The Pro is faster, sometimes by a lot (sequential writes, some IOPS-ratings), sometimes by less. The Pro is also supposed to have a lot longer rated lifetime (about three times, I believe) 

Unless you're using the disk as a scratch disk for Adobe Creative products, you're better off saving your money and getting a larger SSD. Go for whatever SSD has better $/GB for your use (840 is good)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Yeah, no one can tell the difference between 2 SSDs unless you do loads of video editing or similar work

I vote for the 840 EVO as well, but you can also get whatever is cheapest. Realistically, you won't notice the speed difference.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990