Really interesting look at GTA and Rockstar’s journey to reach GTA V

Ethnod

Source:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/08/rockstar-games-time-travellers

Edited by Ethnod
Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Just stumbled on to this and thought I'd add it here :)

In the run up to the long-awaited launch of Grand Theft Auto 5, Dan Dawkins rediscovers the key missions, events and features that have made this one of the greatest series' in gaming history

gtaIII_main.jpg

GTA III – effectively the beginning of the game's modern era

The excitement is mounting, the hype is growing – the release of the nextGrand Theft Auto title is just days away. To celebrate, we've asked journalist and GTA obsessive Dan Dawkins, co-presenter of GTA V O'Clock, to trawl through the history of the series, picking out a selection of key moments, from favourite missions to outrageous cut-scenes and bizarre Easter Eggs.

Today, we're starting out at the fabled rebirth of the series, Grand Theft Auto III (we have something else on the way for the earlier titles...), and through the week we'll edge toward the series' latest instalments. Please let us know your own favourite moments in the comments section – we'll add the most popular to each day's post.

For now, let's head back to 2001...

Press Triangle to steal car

It seems unremarkable now, but in 2001 the idea of tapping the Triangle button on your DualShock 2 controller to enter any car in GTA III's 3D open world was a revelation. "I think the first time I saw a wireframe of a 3D carjack, I was like, 'That is it, right there'" said Rockstar Games president Sam Houser at the time. "Just, 'Oh, my god'. Just amazing." From nowhere, GTA III became one of the best selling games of 2001.

Source:

Part 1

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/sep/09/30-important-moments-gta-history

Part 2

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/sep/10/30-important-moments-gta-history

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

That was a good read, and I've never even played the GTA series. From the perspective of someone who's never really taken any interest in the previous titles, GTA V is definitely attractive in its own way, can't quite put my finger on it but something is making me excited to play it more so than all the others.