Networking Issues

Hello forum I request your help again. My Custom Built desktop pc I made has some issues with networking right now. My wifi on my pc is incredibly slow however is fine on my laptop that I am on. Ido have Ethernet set up on my pc with a power through Ethernet adapter how the light for the connection isn't on and I do not know what to do. I have tried several times to remove it or reset it but it does not work. I cannot reset my router because it is a piece of crap that takes 3 days to start working once you reset it. The entire reason I reset my router is beacause it was not working on my desktop but it sill doesn't. If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated and I live in Australia and have NBN (the highest form of internet here) and it is very expensive to replace this router for a nbn one.

1. You don't need Power over Ethernet (PoE) to a desktop.

2. You have found the issue by the sounds of it, it takes 3 days to re-enable the internet, replace it (unless you have a Motorola surfboard, then just turn it off for 30min and turn it back on - but you'd have HFC then, not NBN).

What ISP and/or country?

What model router? What model powerlines?  What model laptop, or more specifically, what model wireless NIC inside?

Last, how far away is PC from the router?

I know I do not need POE but it is a lot faster and my WiFi card is terrible(i dont remember model number), the router is a Netcom gigabit n600 and it was provided by iinet an Australian network retailer that was $200. The house is to old to run Ethernet otherwise I would do it myself and my pc is located up stairs above the router and the router can't be located anywhere else due to only one NBN cable.

POE is power delivery over an ethernet cable, to power an AP or camera. You're probably talking about powerline, ethernet delivery over power cables.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

200$ for a N600 wireless router with internal antennas?! And it doesn't work well. For that money you can get a Netgear Nighthawk X4 AC2350. Don't mean to insult you, but if you can get your money back, DO IT!

As for POE, I think you are confused by the naming schemes. POE is Power over Ethernet. It's used so you only need to bring one wire (ethernet and POE) to a AP. Powerline is ethernet over electrical. How well it works, and even if it works, depends a lot on how your house is wired for electricity. To start, what powerline adapters were you thinking of using? And are the two rooms on the same circuit breaker?

Yes everything is on the same circuit and I already own the adapters and they worked for around 6 months then one day it cut out and went back and then a day later it stopped working and hasn't worked since. I reset the router even though I would have to wait 3 days then it reset the second and took another 3 to fix. Then on the third day I was playing rocket league, I was getting around 4 ping but occasionally would get 988 ping and wouldn't be able to stay in the game. It hasn't worked since, I rewired the router and screwed it up so I went back to the old wiring. It is working on all my devices like my tablet (Surface RT, winch I warm is not very good) but won't work at all for my pc.

My pc setup is a

I5 4690k

Mid sli krait z97 mobo

Galaxy gtx 770

Cx600m

Ocz arc 240gb ssd

2tb wd blue

8gb Kingston savage 1866mhz

The WiFi router is 200 AU Dollar and when I purchased it and was one of the only routers then supported a phone line then I don't even use. I would get a new one but I will get a new ISP in 2 months and I should get one that includes a router.

For the best performance, when you get a new router, I recommend one with 802.11ac instead of one with 802.11n. What really sucks is your 200 AUD router cost about 18USD here. I would personally send you a better one however shipping would be astronomical.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

So I'm slightly confused by the latest update. Is the computer that's having issues still only connected by powerline? If so I'd recommend replacibg the adaptors as it sounds like they have died

Do you have these powerline adapters straight in to the wall or plugged in to a surge protector? Do they light up at all? What is the signal strength of the wireless adapter on your PC? Also possible your neighbors are on the same channel and there's no issue until they get home and start watching p0rn.

Hello everyone thank for the help so far i know i am not to descriptive.

I bought the roter about 2 years ago when NBN just arrived and it was $200. I purchase all technology producrts for my parents and back then i was just an xbox nerd who thought he knew everything about technology just because he can root an android phone. I bought because it had a high network transfer speed back then and it only just came out and their was only one review that said it was good. I dealt with the router for 2 years and apart from the recent failure i was fine with the 3 day wait for stable internet. It recently went to crap and hasnt been working for 1 and a half weeks now, and it is really getting to me. I can watch videos on my surface and it is fine that is all i do on it but i cant do anything on my computer. Today i purchased a game (borderlands the pre-sequal and it has taken 7 hours to download) and that took so long to download i have given up.

I have decided to purchase a new router i was thinking of this one http://www.dcomponline.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_241&products_id=1202

it has very good review and it is in my price range. As for the ethernet adapters they are Netcomm n202pA's i have 2 of them one upstairs connecter to the wall with no adapter and a UPS next to it that has my pc moniter and clock running off it. The second is downstairs connected directly to the wall leading to the router. all light are working and the power indicater is green and the middle indicater to show connection isnt on and occasiuonally goes green and another light to signal the ethernet connection is next to that and it displays green however flashes whenever the internet drops out. I will test these out somewhere else to see if their busted just to check, i got theser for free with a foxtell purchase to connect online to the box however i do not use it for that.

No surge protecters Mekensan and i have no idea if anyone else could be on the network however i live on farm land and my neighbours are no way near close enough tom sreal my internet unless the invested on a reception booster which is unlikely.

Howlingwolf101 very generous offer man thanks a lot

I am planning on running ethernet through my house, maybe cat 6. I get cables very cheap off a factory outlet.

The computer that is connected through ethernet is disconnected to the wall and reception wise i get 4 to 5 bars, my other device is the surface rt rhat runs very decent with my wifi is on wifi. I also have an xbox one on the network but since the internet stopped working i disconnected along with every other device on the network to see interfeirance. my wifi card is here: quLCOM ar9287 wireless network adapter.

To make sure that it was my router and not my service provider that was having the issues i found this review:http://www.productreview.com.au/p/netcomm-n600-dual-band-wifi-gigabit.html this review has a lot of people who are having the same issues as me, i am incredibly discusted with this router and i am now boy-cotting all netcomm proiducts.

Thankyou all for your help this forum is incredible

Screenshot (8).png

So it does sound like a new router would help you a lot. But at the same time, your description of the Powerline equipment does not sound like it is working either. The TP-Link Archer C9 is a good router choice.

42 minutes ago, brwainer said:

So it does sound like a new router would help you a lot. But at the same time, your description of the Powerline equipment does not sound like it is working either. The TP-Link Archer C9 is a good router choice.

I agree. I hear good things about the C9. I would test the powerlines before buying the router. That way if you need new powerline adapters, you can order at same time and save on shipping. Also, if you can spare the cash, might want to have a electrician look at your wiring. Maybe something is going on with the electrical provider and your circuit breaker can't produce a clean signal which is messing up the powerline. Did you notice they stopped working during or near a power outage?

No they didn't go out near or during a power outage unless you count an outrage from 2 weeks ago near. I am not yet to try if the adapters work anywhere else, I will hand them to my friend who has 2 of the similar models to test them. I will be further looking to run Ethernet through the house, I feel like that will help a lot my farther is an security officer and works with setting up dvr's and cameras I do believe he can determine if something is going on with the power board, and he should be able to run Ethernet through with me.

Also I do not know if I should purchase the router from the shop (I do not order online, its a local shop but I do when I purchase from Mwave  Australia.) because I am joining a new service provider and I do not know if they offer a router with the setup, although it could potentially be a shit router compared to the c9. So if I do purchase the router and one comes with the new ISP can I run 2 routers to increase strength? If so is it worth it, is it hard and can I set it up just by plugging it to another nbn cable coming from the wall?

Thank you for all the help BTW 

In most situations you do not run "two routers" per se, but you could turn the C9 into an AP by just reconfiguring it. One way is to follow whatever steps they have to enable that feature, but the method I prefer is to disable the DHCP server and just connect your ethernet to LAN port instead of the WAN port. As for two lines from NBN, if you wanted that you would have to pay for another connection from them, and in that case you would need two routers.

I think I have solved the issue,The reason why my internet does not disconnect on my tablet is because it has a daul channel wifi card however my pc doesnt. I think i can further prove this because my pc has a single channel wifi card. Do you believe this is the correct analysis? Should i purchase another wifi card, I am not sure my motherboard has built in wifi and if it is better than my current wifi card.

This is my system: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ltv2pg and this is a wifi adapter that i may get is it good?(i Know my cpu cooler doesnt fit in my case I had to drill holes in my casde, also this build isnt updated for my 4690k.)

If your router only has one SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, then havibg a dual band wireless adaptor might mask some wireless issues, since if there is interference or a weak signal your devices can choose to connect to the other band. If there is seperate SSIDs for the two bands, like "NameName24" and "NameName50" then the lack of a dual band wireless adaptor does not make any difference. (Other than being limited to one band)

your motherboard does not include wireless. Is the TP-Link adaptor in your PC Part Picker the adaptor you currently have, or the one you might buy? If it's the one you might buy, I would recommend gettibg something better.

No the pc picker list is the one the I currently have, When I first purchased my pc i was on a very tight budget and believe it or not the aussie dollar was worse the US Dollar was Purchasing $1.50 Au. I have further upgraded the pc all the parts i originally got are listed below

Pentium g3258

1 kingston hyperx savage 4gb stick

msi sli motherboard

galaxy 4gb gtx 770 which i got for $120 AU

corsair cx 600m

a 2tb segate that i got for free and a 500gb hardrive and 600gb which were also free but the 500gb is now broken

deepcool tesseract sw

the shitty wifi adapter

and the ocz 120gb ssd

I do believe that is what i started with and have since upgraded to quite a beast pc.

Anyway my belief on ther dual channel wifi works like this. The router has a single connection that will forever drop out however after three days it becomes more stable bhut still drops out. The reason why the dual channel works better is because it can recover when the wifi drops out, however the wifi card i have doesnt and cant obtain a stable connection.

No the pc picker list is the one the I currently have, When I first purchased my pc i was on a very tight budget and believe it or not the aussie dollar was worse the US Dollar was Purchasing $1.50 Au. I have further upgraded the pc all the parts i originally got are listed below

Pentium g3258

1 kingston hyperx savage 4gb stick

msi sli motherboard

galaxy 4gb gtx 770 which i got for $120 AU

corsair cx 600m

a 2tb segate that i got for free and a 500gb hardrive and 600gb which were also free but the 500gb is now broken

deepcool tesseract sw

the shitty wifi adapter

and the ocz 120gb ssd

I do believe that is what i started with and have since upgraded to quite a beast pc.

Anyway my belief on ther dual channel wifi works like this. The router has a single connection that will forever drop out however after three days it becomes more stable bhut still drops out. The reason why the dual channel works better is because it can recover when the wifi drops out, however the wifi card i have doesnt and cant obtain a stable connection.

So here's my recommendation: first, replace your router. Then upgrade the desktop's wireless adaptor when you have the money to do so. Upgrading the wifi adaptor first is a bandaid to the issue.

I do agree with your opinion however I think if i replace the wifi card I can wait until i change ISP's so Im sure that i can either get a router from the provider or buy it when i join the new service provider.

I do agree with your opinion however I think if i replace the wifi card I can wait until i change ISP's so Im sure that i can either get a router from the provider or buy it when i join the new service provider.

http://www.dcomponline.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_237&products_id=1765 is this a nice router, and will it bw able to run my NBN

4 hours ago, Dransk said:

http://www.dcomponline.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_237&products_id=1765 is this a nice router, and will it bw able to run my NBN

NBN is the fiber to the home over in Australia right? If so I imagine you have to connect to the fiber ONT using ethernet - in which case the router you linked wouldn't work - that router is only going to work with DSL type connections.

• 2 weeks later...

It really won't run my nbn, that incredibly sucks. It is unbearable with my internet and that router will not work. I thought it actually would work, I will link to my current router and specs to see if the c9 archer will work. http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/fibre/nb16dg and here is new router http://www.dcomponline.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_241&products_id=1202

Paz help I know I wasn't replying for a very long time

I am confused. I though NBN was your country's fiber to the home provider/system, I didn't think they used ADSL. Your current router is an integrated router/modem. The unit you asked about before, the Asus, was also a router/modem. It would be able to replace the unit you currently have. The TP-Link router you have just asked about does NOT have a modem builtin. In order to replace your current router/modem you would have to buy a seperate modem. (BTW, seperate router and modem is highly recommended becuase the integrated models are never as good). TP-Link Archer routers are all very good.

Bottom line: If you currently have ADSL, you need a modem/router or a standalone modem. If you have fiber you need a router that does NOT have a modem in it. If you will be getting fiber soon, you should get a seperate router and modem so that the router can be reused in the future.