I am really not sure whether or not I can upgrade the ram on this laptop

Hulkbert
8 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Please stop being a jerk, you wanted me to do a bunch of light tasks and I did. And thats a nintendo 64 game F-Zero X so no, it shouldnt use up that much ram. none at all actually my GPU had it covered. Tell me EXACTLY what you want me to open up and I'll see what my ram usage goes up too. And one rule: it has to be something that laptop can easily handle.

Ten chrome tabs? I can easily push past 4gb in chrome and I've seen plenty of people who have no problem encroaching 16gb. 

7 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Regardless if I should upgrade the ram, I still don't know if I can.

I would contact Toshiba again and ask if the RAM is soldered down. As they might just consider it non-user upgradeable either way. Also, they make a special note to say it's not "user upgradeable", which makes me think it's upgradeable by a technician (i.e. it's upgradeable by you). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Regardless if I should upgrade the ram, I still don't know if I can.

Yes you can, google this Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s

Nvm I dont know this for a fact so I dont wanna leap before I look

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Ten chrome tabs? I can easily push past 4gb in chrome and I've seen plenty of people who have no problem encroaching 16gb. 

I would contact Toshiba again and ask if the RAM is soldered down. As they might just consider it non-user upgradeable either way. Also, they make a special note to say it's not "user upgradeable", which makes me think it's upgradeable by a technician (i.e. it's upgradeable by you). 

I opened 40 tabs of linustechtips main webpage and I didnt surpass 4.2

4 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

I opened 40 tabs of linustechtips main webpage and I didnt surpass 4.2

Throw in a few youtube, hulu, netflix tabs, tabs that are on websites that are more intensive than a simple lightweight forum, etc...

4GB is barely passable nowadays even for light weight use cases -- it can certainly be doable, but you definitely will benefit from more (unless of course you're the type of person to only ever run one or two tabs as the most intensive load). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Throw in a few youtube, hulu, netflix tabs, tabs that are on websites that are more intensive than a simple lightweight forum, etc... 

I'll open a bunch of youtube tabs, see what happens.

27 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Please stop being a jerk, you wanted me to do a bunch of light tasks and I did. And thats a nintendo 64 game F-Zero X so no, it shouldnt use up that much ram. none at all actually my GPU had it covered. Tell me EXACTLY what you want me to open up and I'll see what my ram usage goes up too. And one rule: it has to be something that laptop can easily handle.

I'm not being a jerk, I'm just calling you out on trying to make out that 4 gigs is a reasonable amount of ram. I did give you a list to open before and instead you intentionally opened different apps that were light in memory usage. If you want to run a legit test, heres an exact list of what to open:

• Minecraft: Its a reasonably popular game making it realistic for a real life scenario and, also realistically something you can run on a laptop.
  • 12 Chrome tabs, and 1 playing a video(just for fun): It's more than the average user uses hence why its realistic for someone doing a lot of multitasking, yet not too crazy like 40 tabs.
  • Screen Recording software of your choice
  • Skype: Most people are gonna have either this or a similar background app on their computer.
  • Hardware utilities: (because for some reason you thought having them all open was a realistic situation?)
  • 2 Word Documents, and a Powerpoint: Because many people also do work on their laptops.

I think that's a realistic scenario of what someone who likes to do a lot of multitasking might have open at once. Fair?

edit: This will be interesting to see because it is actually a semi-accurate representation of what I'm personally doing at once most days, except without the hardware utilities, and with something closer to 20 tabs with about 3 being youtube.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

4GB is barely passable nowadays even for light weight use cases -- it can certainly be doable, but you definitely will benefit from more (unless of course you're the type of person to only ever run one or two tabs as the most intensive load). 

I got open 20 before I gave up http://imgur.com/sANL4fD

5 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

I'm not being a jerk, I'm just calling you out on trying to make out that 4 gigs is a reasonable amount of ram. I did give you a list to open before and instead you intentionally opened different apps that were light in memory usage. If you want to run a legit test, heres an exact list of what to open:

• Minecraft: Its a reasonably popular game making it realistic for a real life scenario and, also realistically something you can run on a laptop.
  • 12 Chrome tabs, and 1 playing a video(just for fun): It's more than the average user uses hence why its realistic for someone doing a lot of multitasking, yet not too crazy like 40 tabs.
  • Skype: Most people are gonna have either this or a similar background app on their computer.
  • Hardware utilities: (because for some reason you thought having them all open was a realistic situation?)
  • 2 Word Documents, and a Powerpoint: Because many people also do work on their laptops.

I think that's a realistic scenario of what someone who likes to do a lot of multitasking might have open at once. Fair?

Sounds a little heavy for that laptop, but I'll do it anyway just for giggles.

13 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:
14 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

So 3.49 GB with 20 tabs? Speaking as someone who actually does a lot of multitasking, 20 is about the average of how many I actually have open at any given time. Now that doesn't leave much room for me when I go to load up  a game and some other apps now does it?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

56 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

What do you mean "keep up"? I mean yea higher speed ram doesn't make much of a difference, but most people looking to upgrade their ram(atleast that I've seen) aren't doing it to speed up their system. That would just be dumb. Ram can however help with multi-tasking. So if like me, this guy wants to have  bunch of different applications and internet tabs open at once, he can do that easier with more ram. In addition to this it can help with video editing as well as many other specific applications. So correct me if I'm wrong(I could be, and I have been before), unless this guy is under the delusion that ram magically makes his computer run faster(along with the lightning blots painted on the case for an additional 10 FPS) then "speed", and "keeping up" are pretty irrelevant...

Do you know the Toshiba support email? I couldn't find it.

13 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

edit: This will be interesting to see because it is actually a semi-accurate representation of what I'm personally doing at once most days, except without the hardware utilities, and with something closer to 20 tabs with about 3 being youtube.

I dont have powerpoint or word so I just opened up three more videos, hope you dont mind oh merciful master.

http://imgur.com/Xx5412J

Now I'll admit thats one hell of a close shave but its still more than enough for even that monstrocity of a multitask you foisted upon me. Now dont ask me to do anything else, I'm tired and its late.

12 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

I dont have powerpoint or word so I just opened up three more videos, hope you dont mind oh merciful master.

http://imgur.com/Xx5412J

Now I'll admit thats one hell of a close shave but its still more than enough for even that monstrocity of a multitask you foisted upon me. Now dont ask me to do anything else, I'm tired and its late.

Don't worry, there's nothing more to be tested. You finally conducted a fair test that somewhat accurately depicts what a multitasker might be using in the way of memory under a relatively light load. And as you've shown with the results, for all intents and purposes there wasn't any ram left. It just proves my point. I think this just goes to show that our inability to see eye to eye on this, is not because were living in different realities where the same amount of ram goes further for you than for me. It's due to us being fundamentally different in how we use our computers. You stated that you think this is a heavy load, and for me It's just getting started. The amount of memory you need is dependent on how much your gonna use it. For someone like you 4gigs is probably plenty, but for someone like me 8gigs is a must. The op is gonna have to decide for himself based on these tests how much he thinks he personally needs.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

Don't worry, there's nothing more to be tested. You finally conducted a fair test that somewhat accurately depicts what a multitasker might be using in the way of memory under a relatively light load. And as you've shown with the results, for all intents and purposes there wasn't any ram left. It just proves my point. I think this just goes to show that our inability to see eye to eye on this, is not because were living in different realities where the same amount of ram goes further for you than for me. It's due to us being fundamentally different in how we use our computers. You stated that you think this is a heavy load, and for me It's just getting started. The amount of memory you need is dependent on how much your gonna use it. For someone like you 4gigs is probably plenty, but for someone like me 8gigs is a must. The op is gonna have to decide for himself based on these tests how much he thinks he personally needs.

Jeez, I cant believe somebody can even have that much stuff open at once. I would die of clutter if I had this much stuff open all the time. I salute you and your ability to even operate under conditions like these let alone your ability to get things done like this.

24 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Jeez, I cant believe somebody can even have that much stuff open at once. I would die of clutter if I had this much stuff open all the time. I salute you and your ability to even operate under conditions like these let alone your ability to get things done like this.

Thanks for the salute(assuming its not sarcastic). It's just a different mindset I guess. I'm a very messy person in IRL as well. There's a lot of reasons this ends up happening, although I'll admit a lot of it stems from laziness. I leave applications open that I'm not using all the time. Right now I have both minecraft and google sketchup open. Haven't used minecraft for an hour, and sketchup since this morning. As far as internet tabs, I basically use them as a short term bookmark. I'm too lazy to bookmark stuff often, and sometimes I don't want it as a permanent bookmark, because it's just something I wanna come back and look at in 10 minutes. At the moment I have 17 tabs open, and half of them are funny youtube videos that I'm gonna watch later today. With office products, I do my college homework on my computer which often ends up with a ton of word documents open. I tend to keep things like my syllabus open at all times to be able to quickly access the info. On top of this I'll have any documents with info on the particular assignment I'm working on, as well as the downloadable powerpoint slides from each weeks lecture if they have it. I also tend to get bored during assignments so I'll have a podcast I listen to in the background. When I'm done with college work, think I'm gonna close all that shit? Hell no! Its gonna be minimized. I usually keep at least one game loaded as well even if i'm not playing it so I don't have to wait to load it if I wanna play for a bit. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Could I use my computer differently and cut back on how much ram I use? Sure, but I don't want to. This is how I use my computer, and if I can afford 8 gigs of ram to make it possible then I'm gonna do it. lol But if you think this is crazy, just imagine how cluttered its gonna get when I reach my personal goal of getting 32 gigs for my next upgrade.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

18 hours ago, Tmt97 said:

I can survive on 4, work with 6, and live with 8.