Budget Work Build

Go to solution Solved by Wouterrinos,
1 minute ago, Preuss said:

1.) I'm looking at a few different motherboards around the $80 range, but actually the choice you made does seem to have enough of the features we need. An i7 would be too overkill for this simple of workload, Biggest thing will be to have the SSD for faster QuickBooks read/write speeds. The mechanical drive for raw storage of documents and the faster processor to reduce the time we spend watching loading bars. Which is significant lol.

2.) Done :3

If you're okay with the IO, just go with this mbo.

That would be all I think. have fun building:) 

Let me start this with a few things about the current situation. 

I just started working for a new employer; I do data entry, Accounting, Photo Editing, Brochure making and a few other random things as needed. The business is relatively small in comparison to others. However we have a growing number of Customers whom demand information on the spot at times. When i first joined I helped bring the computers in the Office Space to a clean area, and did a thorough cleaning/general maintenance sweep (dusting, cable management, thermal paste, etc) as both machines were running very hot. However after opening up both machines and getting a good look at the hardware within it was very obvious that new machines would be on the horizon. As such I warned my employer that the conditions of both computer are 'OK' but plans for moving off of the machines should be made.

Overall I have the parts down, but i want to know what others think about the parts ive picked, and why you would go with something else if thats the case. I AM NOT looking for someone to just post a list from pcpartpicker and say "this is better". I want to know your reasoning.

Obviously we are looking to be as budget oriented as possible:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QhvVhM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QhvVhM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.44 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($32.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($43.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($50.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($50.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.98 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($17.59 @ Amazon) 
Total: $573.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-10 12:59 EST-0500

Edited by Preuss
wrong psu

15 minutes ago, Preuss said:

Let me start this with a few things about the current situation. 

I just started working for a new employer; I do data entry, Accounting, Photo Editing, Brochure making and a few other random things as needed. The business is relatively small in comparison to others. However we have a growing number of Customers whom demand information on the spot at times. When i first joined I helped bring the computers in the Office Space to a clean area, and did a thorough cleaning/general maintenance sweep (dusting, cable management, thermal paste, etc) as both machines were running very hot. However after opening up both machines and getting a good look at the hardware within it was very obvious that new machines would be on the horizon. As such I warned my employer that the conditions of both computer are 'OK' but plans for moving off of the machines should be made.

Overall I have the parts down, but i want to know what others think about the parts ive picked, and why you would go with something else if thats the case. I AM NOT looking for someone to just post a list from pcpartpicker and say "this is better". I want to know your reasoning.

Obviously we are looking to be as budget oriented as possible:

You won't need a 600W psu for this build a 500w should do fine. Also I would get two fans one taking air In and another pulling air out of the machine.

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

5 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

In my opinion you don't need a ln 80+ Gold PSU a bronze or silver will work fine even a switching 500w would power that it seems. Also I would get two fans one taking air In and another pulling air out of the machine.

Do you have a recommended PSU? I haven't used a 'switching' PSU before.

The only reason I went with a 600w PSU is for the ability to add a GFX card in later and not have to worry about it at all. This would be for if say we need the extra power for doing Graphics work (Gimp, Scribus, Blender) for Advertising/Marketing.

The case we are looking at has two fans currently, I was planning to remove the front 140mm and replace it with a better one and use the one that comes with the case for the rear exhaust for now. Going for Positive Air Pressure, the Hyper Evo 212 will add to the Exhaust and come out just about right. All in all the temp problem was mostly due to both current machines being in small form factor cases.

You mentioned that there are two computers, are both used for the same workload, just data entry, accounting, photo editing and brochure making? Also is the photo editing pretty light work?

The case we are looking at has two fans currently, I was planning to remove the front 140mm and replace it with a better one and use the one that comes with the case for the rear exhaust for now. Going for Positive Air Pressure, the Hyper Evo 212 will add to the Exhaust and come out just about right. All in all the temp problem was mostly due to both current machines being in small form factor cases.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I presumed the edditing wasn't realy heavy.

-You won't need a z97 mbo because you don't have an k-series cpu.

-Stock coller is included so no cpu-cooler.

-cheapest mbo I could find that still works (can be switched out if you need other IO at the back).

-500w psu (even a cx430m would do)

- extra fan

1 minute ago, Spartancloud said:

You mentioned that there are two computers, are both used for the same workload, just data entry, accounting, photo editing and brochure making? Also is the photo editing pretty light work?

No,

One of the machines is purely used for Quickbooks, Email, Storage. The second is used for all of those, including photo editing/brochure making.

The photo editing is light work at the moment, but only due to the limitations we have on our current hardware. My boss would like to stop outsourcing the work we have the local copy shop do for us instead of paying them $60/hr.

Those are usually what come in prebuilt computers you don't need one but they drop the the price of a psu but is you want to be safe you can get this:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA1N83U90946

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

My PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I presumed the edditing wasn't realy heavy.

-You won't need a z97 mbo because you don't have an k-series cpu.

-Stock coller is included so no cpu-cooler.

-cheapest mbo I could find that still works (can be switched out if you need other IO at the back).

-500w psu (even a cx430m would do)

- extra fan

link is incorrect :P

5 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

ah yeah sorry, It works for me though. This is the right one http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8cBPMp

Nvm it does

My PC:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Preuss said:

I was under the impression the i5-4460 did have onboard according to: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54460

Sorry I was wrong I was thinking of a different processor it does have onboard graphics

My PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, VoyexTech said:

Sorry I was wrong I was thinking of a different processor it does have onboard graphics

np, I just started to doubt myself about what onboard graphics were, thankfully I'm still right :) 

9 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

ah yeah sorry, It works for me though. This is the right one http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8cBPMp

I know you mentioned it, but just to point it out the IO on that mobo only has a VGA and one DVI. Which could be enough, but I feel like for a new computer even if it's a budget build is still kind of lacking. But I could just be spoiled my work computers have all been pretty solid (no boot ssd though, I wish they had those).

16 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

The only thing im seeing that doesn't fit properly is the second 140mm fan. I currently have the case I chose at home and it doesn't offer two spaces for 140mm fan support, only 1 at the front intake and a 120mm at the rear with the ability to install two 120mm at the top if the motherboard allows.

[Edit]Swapped the 2nd 140mm fan with a 120mm version. (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-fan-co9050001ww)

2 minutes ago, Spartancloud said:

I know you mentioned it, but just to point it out the IO on that mobo only has a VGA and one DVI. Which could be enough, but I feel like for a new computer even if it's a budget build is still kind of lacking. But I could just be spoiled my work computers have all been pretty solid (no boot ssd though, I wish they had those).

this would be fine in our case, as both computers go to their current monitors through DVI/VGA.

Just now, Spartancloud said:

It is indeed a bit of a cheap build now. Motherboard, although it works, is something I would switch out for a 80-100 dollar one and if you want more edditing power you can even go for an i-7 but I just don't know how much and how hardcore Preuss wants to edit stuff.

4 minutes ago, Preuss said:

The only thing im seeing that doesn't fit properly is the second 140mm fan. I currently have the case I chose at home and it doesn't offer two spaces for 140mm fan support, only 1 at the front intake and a 120mm at the rear with the ability to install two 120mm at the top if the motherboard allows.

Then just swap a 140 for a 120 AF fan.

7 minutes ago, Wouterrinos said:

1.)It is indeed a bit of a cheap build now. Motherboard, although it works, is something I would switch out for a 80-100 dollar one and if you want more edditing power you can even go for an i-7 but I just don't know how much and how hardcore Preuss wants to edit stuff.

2.)Then just swap a 140 for a 120 AF fan.

1.) I'm looking at a few different motherboards around the $80 range, but actually the choice you made does seem to have enough of the features we need. An i7 would be way overkill for this simple of workload in comparison to what I use my i7 for at home, Biggest thing will be to have the SSD for faster QuickBooks read/write speeds; as well as the mechanical drive for raw storage of documents and the faster processor to reduce the time we spend watching loading bars. Which is significant lol.

1.) I'm looking at a few different motherboards around the $80 range, but actually the choice you made does seem to have enough of the features we need. An i7 would be too overkill for this simple of workload, Biggest thing will be to have the SSD for faster QuickBooks read/write speeds. The mechanical drive for raw storage of documents and the faster processor to reduce the time we spend watching loading bars. Which is significant lol.

If you're okay with the IO, just go with this mbo.

That would be all I think. have fun building:)