Time to upgrade?

vaxeres

Alright, I currently have a 7870 and its performed admirably, but its starting to get a little long in the tooth so I'm thinking about an upgrade. I have around $300 to spend to upgrade and I want to get a card that will last me several years. I only need to reach 60 fps because that's all my monitor can manage and it'll be a few years until I can spend the money on one. What do you guys think? 

Also, is it worth waiting for the new nvidia cards to come out? 

Both the 970/390 are great graphics cards and will last you for years. While the new cards are on the horizon we still know nothing about them. So if you consider waiting be prepared to wait 6 months or more.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Well it depends. You can get a 970 now and thatll last you awhile. Or if your not "dying" you can wait a few months (probably like a year) and find out what pascal has to offer. Personally I'd wait, but thats up to you :). Either way you cant go wrong. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

2 minutes ago, ReesZRB said:

R9 390, performs 15% better than GTX 970. I'm pretty sure it can do 1080p60fps

WHAT!?! No, they're equal, they trade blows. Please keep the misinfomation out of this forum.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

WHAT!?! No, they're equal, they trade blows. Please keep the misinfomation out of this forum.

.....Ok lemme not use percentage, the R9 390 performs slightly better than the 970. Go google some benchmarks

Just now, ReesZRB said:

.....Ok lemme not use percentage, the R9 390 performs slightly better than the 970

No xD it doesn't. Depends on the game, driver, and clock speed. 

THEY ARE EQUAL 

Just now, App4that said:

No xD it doesn't. Depends on the game, driver, and clock speed. 

THEY ARE EQUAL 

God Jesus Christ .... also the 970 are a bit more expensive. R9 390 Indeed rekted the GTX 970

Just now, ReesZRB said:

God Jesus Christ .... also the 970 are a bit more expensive. R9 390 Indeed rekted the GTX 970

No, the price difference is regional and trading blows means for every time one beats the other, there is a case of the opposite. And the 970 has features and graphics settings unavailable to the 390, along with day one drivers. 

So if you want to pound the AMD drum, please allow me to direct your attention to "driver overhead"

Just now, App4that said:

No, the price difference is regional and trading blows means for every time one beats the other, there is a case of the opposite. And the 970 has features and graphics settings unavailable to the 390, along with day one drivers. 

So if you want to pound the AMD drum, please allow me to direct your attention to "driver overhead"

I'm about to break my face on the drum. Features wise yes. but performance wise. AMD. Also wish I can slap people across the internet

2 minutes ago, ReesZRB said:

Depends on region, in Norway e.g. 390 is mostly more expensive. Under no circumstances 390 ''rekts'' 970.

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

3 minutes ago, johnnysasaki said:

Depends on region, in Norway e.g. 390 is mostly more expensive. Under no circumstances 390 ''rekts'' 970.

Although I am using referenced international prices for that. Alright it's Equal but not vram wise.

3 minutes ago, ReesZRB said:

I'm about to break my face on the drum. Features wise yes. but performance wise. AMD. Also wish I can slap people across the internet

Performance wise they are the same, this isn't that hard to understand. Look at ROTTR, they perform the same. Even when the 390 has an advantage like in The Division, overclock the 970 and can you guess? 

Ive owned a 390, I know what it can do. And what it can't do which is beat a 970. Just like a 970 can't beat a 390.

which is why every fucking topic ends like this. 

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Performance wise they are the same, this isn't that hard to understand. Look at ROTTR, they perform the same. Even when the 390 has an advantage like in The Division, overclock the 970 and can you guess? 

Ive owned a 390, I know what it can do. And what it can't do which is beat a 970. Just like a 970 can't beat a 390.

which is why every fucking topic ends like this. 

Long story short, only get an R9 390 if you need the vRAM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

33 minutes ago, vaxeres said:

Alright, I currently have a 7870 and its performed admirably, but its starting to get a little long in the tooth so I'm thinking about an upgrade. I have around $300 to spend to upgrade and I want to get a card that will last me several years. I only need to reach 60 fps because that's all my monitor can manage and it'll be a few years until I can spend the money on one. What do you guys think? 

So, instead of bickering about how you can get 2% more performance from one vendor or another, i'll attempt an answer.

If you want to buy a card now, go for it, it will last you for years at 60 fps.

Have you, in the past, had good luck with a specific vendor such as team red or team green ?

Then by all means, buy a card from that vendor, either one will do pretty much the same thing, which is to say, display your video.

All other arguments are invalid because you said you wanted 60fps...

not 60 fps in a specific game or on a specific monitor or with a specific driver or setup or game or engine or ....omg who cares.

If you have the money and want to upgrade, pick your fav team and get one :) 

FX-8320 @3.79 - Corsair H80i - Gigabyte GTX 970 WF - Asus Sabertooth - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 80+ Platinum - Thermaltake Commander Black
--- Twitter: @Armchairgooroo    FB: Thearmchairguru    Twitch: armchairguru ---

I think a good GPU to get is the: 

(Drumroll pls)

XFX Radeon R9 390 Double Dissapation Video Card.

Why?

I think this card will last you a pretty good amount of time, like other have said. 

This card will 100% guarantee 60 FPS on most games if not all on Ultra or High Settings.

Sell the 7870 while you wait for Nvidia's new Pascal chipsets to come out, and then you can decide weather or not to get one.

Then, if/when you get one, you can sell the R9 and make a few extra bucks.

PC Specs: 
CPU: i7-5930K | Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX | GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti | Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 | Memory: HyperX Fury Black 16GB | Storage: SeaGate 2TB & SanDisk 120GB SSD | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold Cert | Monitors: (x2) Acer S220HQL | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB |

43 minutes ago, ReesZRB said:

R9 390, performs 15% better than GTX 970. I'm pretty sure it can do 1080p60fps

That would put it even with the 980. I'm not believing your figure.

1 hour ago, vaxeres said:

Buy my R9

I don't think it's time for you to upgrade. You still have a very solid GPU, and the stuff in your price range isn't a great deal. The GTX is already almost a year and a half old and still sells for what it launched at. The R9 390 is essentially two and a half years old (390 is just a 290 with better and more vram). The 970 was an amazing deal at $330 in 2014 when it launched, and the R9 290 even better at $250 a month later. But now we're at the tail end of Maxwell, the tail end of Hawaii, and the tail end of 28 nm, Since you sound like you want something to last 4+ years, look to past history when there was a major size reduction of the transistors making these chips up (2012). Right now you'd still be getting pretty solid 1080p performance with a 28 nm GTX 670 four years later, but if you went back in time to Jan 2015 you probably wouldn't be all too happy running a 40 nm GTX 570 at 1080p. You're talking a 40% difference between the 70 series cards after the node shrink and new architecture (Kepler 28 nm). Well, that's exactly what's happening in 2016, node shrinks to 14nm/16nm and new architectures from both AMD and Nvidia. Nvidia doesn't have anything to show yet, but AMD's Polaris 10 running at about half the power of a GTX 950 while they were both pulling a locked 60 fps at what looked like 1080p high at CES was pretty awesome to see. If they're doing that on 40-50W imagine what their 160W card is going to be like. If you were on something really weak like a 560 Ti I'd say go for the upgrade now, but with a 7870 I'd hold out for the new stuff. Besides, they'll be out in time for the big rush of holiday 2016 games.

I personally went from a 7870 to an R9 290 and I think it was a good move back then, the card handles every game at 60 fps fine.

However, due to where I live AMD cards are generally cheaper for comparable performance with more expensive Nvidia ones. So I'd get either a R9 390 or GTX 970, whichever is cheaper for you. As for the board makers, go with a make you've used before and are happy with. In my experience for example I always use either Sapphire, HIS or EVGA.

Wraith/Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | DeepCool AK620 | ASRock X570 Steel Legend | Micron Workstation ECC 64GB | XFX Speedster SWFT 319 Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB | Topping D50s+A50s+PA3s | Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB, HPE SSD 1.92TB, Toshiba X300 4TB, Seagate SkyHawk 4TB, WD Blue 4TB, HPE HDD 8TB | LG GGW-H20L Bluray-RW, Pioneer DVR-220LBK DVD-RW | HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Super Flower Leadex II Gold 750W | CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500P - Ghost/Test Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | Asus ROG Strix X370-F | Crucial Ballistix Red 16GB | ASRock Intel ARC A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB | Asus Xonar D2X | Crucial MX500 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 500GB | SAMA Forza 750W Gold | Antec GX200

Phantom/Win98 Rig: AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ | Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 | ASRock K7S41GX | Elixir 512MB | ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB with ATI Silencer 3 Rev.2 | Aureal BA88DL30A-01 Vortex 2 | Seagate Barracuda 160GB | LiteOn IHDP118-18 DVD-Rom | Samsung FDD | Ccivo 300W | CiT S008B - Parvati IV/Home Unraid Rig: Dual AMD Opteron 4184 | 2x Noctua NH-U12DO A3 | Supermicro Aplus H8DCL-i | Samsung ECC 32GB | Matrox G200eW 16MB | Kioxia Exceria G2 1TB, HPE Seagate Exos 4TB, 2x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB, 2x Toshiba E300 2TB, Seagate SkyHawk 2TB, 2x Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB, Seagate Essentials 1TB, WD Green 500GB | Dell Perc H200+H310 HBA, HP NC550SFP 10GbE | Cooler Master MWE v2 850W | Corsair Obsidian 750d Full Tower - Behemoth12/Second Unraid Rig: HP Microserver G8 | Xeon E3-1220L V2 | Intel C204 | Hynix ECC 16GB | Matrox G200eH 16MB | WD Green 500GB NVMe |