Server PC's

Server PC vs Desktop  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

I am building my first custom pc for myself, i have built desktops and even replaced and rebuilt a server for other people but finally I am building my own rig and I wanted a challenge so i decided to go for as much power as possible for as little price as possible (£500). So a normal low end PC build isn't going to cut it, I design video games so i need to run GPU and CPU intensive programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Cryengine, ect, ect,so i need a powerful pc for a very low cost. My first though was go down the AMD route however i am not a fan of AMD and when it comes to rendering AMD will struggle a lot so then i thought well Intel processors are expensive but how about a out of date one and see if i can use more then when and that is when the idea of a server pc came to mind. Two X5560's, EEC ram and a gtx 960 but I have nothing set in stone yet and i would love for suggestions or components< mainly a motherboard that isn't £400 or weather I should just stick to a desktop pc. 

Please let me know

Depends, modern hardware might save you some money on electricity. But it all depends on what hardware and how much elecricity costs for you.

ps: I advice waiting for the new generation cpu's/gpu's they'll be a lot more powerfull so you can pick some up or buy some used current gen since everyone will be selling them.

1 minute ago, PenTheHuman said:

I am building my first custom pc for myself, i have built desktops and even replaced and rebuilt a server for other people but finally I am building my own rig and I wanted a challenge so i decided to go for as much power as possible for as little price as possible (£500). So a normal low end PC build isn't going to cut it, I design video games so i need to run GPU and CPU intensive programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Cryengine, ect, ect,so i need a powerful pc for a very low cost. My first though was go down the AMD route however i am not a fan of AMD and when it comes to rendering AMD will struggle a lot so then i thought well Intel processors are expensive but how about a out of date one and see if i can use more then when and that is when the idea of a server pc came to mind. Two X5560's, EEC ram and a gtx 960 but I have nothing set in stone yet and i would love for suggestions or components< mainly a motherboard that isn't £400 or weather I should just stick to a desktop pc. 

Please let me know

You can find used sandy bridge EP chips like the 8 core e5 2670 ( though those cost a lot on ebay right now , they used to be ~100$)

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, GoldenBE said:

Depends, modern hardware might save you some money on electricity. But it all depends on what hardware and how much elecricity costs for you.

I'm currently living in a student flat, electricity is provided with my rent

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

You can find used sandy bridge EP chips like the 8 core e5 2670 ( though those cost a lot on ebay right now , they used to be ~100$)

Just looked they are under £60 which is great just got to find a resanbly priced motherboard.

Thank you

Just now, PenTheHuman said:

Just looked they are under £60 which is great just got to find a resanbly priced motherboard.

Thank you

where did you find them at that price ? Ebay US shows me 200$ minimum

But i have to say dual socket boards are expensive and hard to come by

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, PenTheHuman said:

I'm currently living in a student flat, electricity is provided with my rent

Also, keep in mind the noise of the server. Depending on the Unit itself. There are different types of rack mounted Units; they range from 1u up to 4u. That if you're going to rack rather than the traditional tower case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

They're cheaper on ebay.co.uk :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SR0H8-Intel-Xeon-PROCESSOR-E5-2670-20M-Cache-2-60-GHz-FCLGA2011-CM8062101082713-/321990609770?hash=item4af822cb6a:g:4KQAAOSwJb9Wq770

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Capture.JPG

2 minutes ago, PenTheHuman said:

Capture.JPG

Okay 1 or 2 of those, that's around $100 a piece ( inc shipping )

Then the next step is a dual socket motherboard ( which is probably gonna cost quite a lot )

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Also, keep in mind the noise of the server. Depending on the Unit itself. There are different types of rack mounted Units; they range from 1u up to 4u. That if you're going to rack rather than the traditional tower case.

I'm using a 4U case that i was given, I'm modifying it for more fans and better air flow using a laser cutter i have accesses too and im also using rubber gromits on the rack as well as it being mounted onto mdf which adsorbs and vibrations, so any noise pollution wont be a issue fir this build, I didnt think about this too much though so thank you as i needed to sort some of this out.

2 minutes ago, GoldenBE said:

Then the next step is a dual socket motherboard ( which is probably gonna cost quite a lot )

8 cores would be fine honestly as well as 16 threads 

5 minutes ago, PenTheHuman said:

Capture.JPG

does the "30 days warranty" not scare you?

3 minutes ago, GoldenBE said:

Motherboard might be a bit of a issue though

4 minutes ago, GoldenBE said:

I think this should work as motherboard: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Precision-T7600-WorkStation-PC-Dual-LGA-2011-Intel-System-Motherboard-82WXT-/262254307120?hash=item3d0f932730:g:6eEAAOSwymxVMSdl

Altough I'm not sure about compatibilty, that's ripped from ( or a replacement for ) a prebuilt server.

I need a FCLGA2011 instead of a LGA2011. Good idea though, iv used motherboard pulls before and they have been just fine, its just compatabilty.

2 minutes ago, PenTheHuman said:

I need a FCLGA2011 instead of a LGA2011. Good idea though, iv used motherboard pulls before and they have been just fine, its just compatabilty.

There's no difference, the cpu's will work fine in an LGA2011 board ;)

Just now, GoldenBE said:

Oh perfect :D 

3 minutes ago, GoldenBE said:

Thank you for you help :3 

14 minutes ago, PenTheHuman said:

I'm using a 4U case that i was given, I'm modifying it for more fans and better air flow using a laser cutter i have accesses too and im also using rubber gromits on the rack as well as it being mounted onto mdf which adsorbs and vibrations, so any noise pollution wont be a issue fir this build, I didnt think about this too much though so thank you as i needed to sort some of this out.

Well 4u can use 120mm fans I believe, so you'll be fine. :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Designing a custom front panel with two fans, two usb 3.0 and the power button which i already have and looks freaking awesome, having it laser cut.

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

And you can probably use this as cpu cooler, altough it's probably quite expensive compared to the rest of the build.

http://noctua.at/en/nh-u9dx-i4.html 

( stock intel fans will probably do the job fine, just a bit loader )

Just now, GoldenBE said:

And you can probably use this as cpu cooler, altough it's probably quite expensive compared to the rest of the build.

http://noctua.at/en/nh-u9dx-i4.html 

( stock intel fans will probably also do the job just fine )

Already got two 212 evos from a friend :3 should run the pc super cool

5 minutes ago, PenTheHuman said:

Designing a custom front panel with two fans, two usb 3.0 and the power button which i already have and looks freaking awesome, having it laser cut.

That's awesome. :D Please make a build log when you get the parts. Also have you chosen your parts yet? Do you need help?