very worried about incompatibilities

sirbonneville
Just now, Tac127 said:

One means that your motherboard doesn't support USB 3.0

if i plug a usb 2.0, say, mouse or something into my usb 3.0 will it work?

6 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

heres my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Pqsz23

can somebody explain what these two incompatibilities mean? should i be worried? 

The first one about USB headers is a physical connector incompatibility where the case has a USB 3.0 ports and connections but the motherboard doesn't have USB 3.8 3.0 options. As for the BIOS usually they require a BIOS update/flash to the newest version if it wasn't already from the factory to ensure the CPU is recognized. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

The first one about USB headers is a physical connector incompatibility where the case has a USB 3.0 ports and connections but the motherboard doesn't have USB 3.8 options. As for the BIOS usually they require a BIOS update/flash to the newest version if it wasn't already from the factory to ensure the CPU is recognized. 

how will i update my bios?

7 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

can somebody explain what these two incompatibilities mean? should i be worried? (i already bought all of the parts)

1.) The first incompatibility basically means you can't plug the two USB 3 ports on the front of the case into your motherboard, so they won't work. To get around this, you can get a USB 2.0 header to USB 3.0 adapter/

2.) The second problem means your CPU is too new for the motherboard, so it (BIOS) might need an update before your CPU works, but you need a CPU to update the BIOS, so....maybe get a motherboard with a newer chipset ;)  e.g. H97

Almost as cool as my temps  

can somebody explain what these two incompatibilities mean? should i be worried? (i already bought all of the parts)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PjcWxr This should fix both your problems

Edit: Oh you already got the board, never mind.

2 minutes ago, Benergy said:

1.) The first incompatibility basically means you can't plug the two USB 3 ports on the front of the case into your motherboard, so they won't work. To get around this, you can get a USB 2.0 header to USB 3.0 adapter/

2.) The second problem means your CPU is too new for the motherboard, so it (BIOS) might need an update before your CPU works, but you need a CPU to update the BIOS, so....maybe get a motherboard with a newer chipset ;)  e.g. H87

oh gosh. what do i do??? i already ordered the motherboard and its on its way!

1 minute ago, sirbonneville said:

oh gosh. what do i do??? i already ordered the motherboard and its on its way!

It will probably still work with that CPU in it. If you can get to the BIOS, you can do an update from there. It might connect to the internet itself to update it, otherwise you can download the update on to a flash drive from another computer. :)

5 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

Dont know

1 minute ago, Benergy said:

It will probably still work with that CPU in it. If you can get to the BIOS, you can do an update from there. It might connect to the internet itself to update it, otherwise you can download the update on to a flash drive from another computer. :)

how do i get to the BIOS?

Just now, sirbonneville said:

how do i get to the BIOS?

Keep tapping 'DEL' and 'F2' while the computer is starting up. It should go straight in.

Yeah they are mostly interchangeable with only some pretty old USB 2.0 hardware refusing to work in USB 3.0 ports.

The only difference really is USB 3.0 has higher data transfer rates for external hard drives etc. (5Gbps rather than ~480Mbps I believe)

6 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

how will i update my bios?

It will say in the manual since it can vary between board but usually it just requires a USB flash drive with the BIOS on it and to go into the BIOS to do the flash. 

Keep tapping 'DEL' and 'F2' while the computer is starting up. It should go straight in.

and once im in the BIOS, how can i update it from there? 

also you're saying that i need i have to get to the BIOS to update something, but I need it to be working in order to even update it, so theres no way i can update it?

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It will say in the manual since it can vary between board but usually it just requires a USB flash drive with the BIOS on it and to go into the BIOS to do the flash. 

how big does my usb flash drive need to be and how can i install the bios on it?

2 minutes ago, sirbonneville said:

and once im in the BIOS, how can i update it from there? 

also you're saying that i need i have to get to the BIOS to update something, but I need it to be working in order to even update it, so theres no way i can update it?

how big does my usb flash drive need to be and how can i install the bios on it?

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-h81m-h_f9.zip

Here's the BIOS update you need.

1. Download it
  2. Unzip it
  3. Put the unzipped files on a flash drive
  4. These can be used to update the BIOS

The flash drive only needs to be big enough for that 2MB BIOS update file.

also, guys, people say that if you have a good gpu and an old motherboard it will severely limit your performance. if i somehow get the thing to turn on, what will i expect gamewise?

also, guys, people say that if you have a good gpu and an old motherboard it will severely limit your performance. if i somehow get the thing to turn on, what will i expect gamewise?

That board has a PCIe gen 2.0 x16 slot for the GPU, this isn't the newest PCIe generation but it will have little to no effect on real world performance. You should expect standard 380 performance.

That board has a PCIe gen 2.0 x16 slot for the GPU, this isn't the newest PCIe generation but it will have little to no effect on real world performance. You should expect standard 380 performance.

PHEW okay :D

4 minutes ago, Benergy said:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-h81m-h_f9.zip

Here's the BIOS update you need.

1. Download it
  2. Unzip it
  3. Put the unzipped files on a flash drive
  4. These can be used to update the BIOS

The flash drive only needs to be big enough for that 2MB BIOS update file.

ok i have a few usb drives that have a few gb's so that'll be way more than i need. phew.

once i download, unzip, place unzipped files on the usb drive etc and plug it into my pc via usb slot, how will i get the bios to recognize it? once im inside the bios that is

ok i have a few usb drives that have a few gb's so that'll be way more than i need. phew.

once i download, unzip, place unzipped files on the usb drive etc and plug it into my pc via usb slot, how will i get the bios to recognize it? once im inside the bios that is

GIGABYTE_H81M-HD3_BIOS_2-650x487.jpg

It'll be something similar to this. Go to the 'System' tab at the top and there should be a menu choice to 'flash BIOS' or something similar.

When you enter this, it'll likely let you navigate through the USB drive and select the update file, then install it.

Do not turn the computer off during this process

7 minutes ago, Benergy said:

GIGABYTE_H81M-HD3_BIOS_2-650x487.jpg

It'll be something similar to this. Go to the 'System' tab at the top and there should be a menu choice to 'flash BIOS' or something similar.

When you enter this, it'll likely let you navigate through the USB drive and select the update file, then install it.

Do not turn the computer off during this process

thank you so much :DDDD